Poll: Have you had a "clickie" failure?

Have you personally had a failure of a "cluckie" switch in a Fenix or SureFire?

• Yes, I had a Fenix switch fail

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Yes, I had a SureFire switch fail

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • I have not had a clickie switch fail

Votes: 37 50.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

magic79

Enlightened
A recent thread has a number of anecdotal stories of "clickie" switch failures. How common are these failures?

EDIT: Oh oh...I don't know how to edit the Poll question. Obviously, it's not 'clucky' but 'clicky'. Kinda funny though!

Last edited:

mateen

Enlightened
Not a Fenix nor a Surefire, but I've had a Mag clickie fail, a Vital Gear switch failure, and of course a Kroll failure.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Surefire U2 tailcap failed one me.

I don't think you mean by accidents or abuse though.

One of my buddie's Surefire L2 tailcap failed on him. There are three contacts in the tailcap of the L2 and one contact broke off and another was bent out of shape. Some slight bending fixed the tailcap but it had to be notched down flush for it to come on at high. Usually there is some play room/more room to turn when the L2 gets into constant high mode (lots of play room now on the replacement tailcap from SF but the contacts are higher/more robust leaving the witness marks out of whack.)

I haven't dealt with any other talcap clickies giving me problems. One Surefire L2 tailcap fail from normal use, and my SF U2 tailcap being brought to failure by accidental collision with the ground.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a few switch failures only with those cheap chinese lights
I purchasad on ebay, my other lights have been ok

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Yep, on a Surefire U2 - they promptly replaced it!

They indeed back up their product!! :thumbsup:

JimmyB

Enlightened
I've had a bad run of luck with Surefire clickies. I've had three bad switches. All were of the M/C series. I've not had an E size failure. I really like Surefires but my trust in their clicky switches is not high. I haven't had any trouble getting them replaced so far but it's a pain because it can take up to a month.
ironic.gif

JimmyB

al2k

Newly Enlightened
Had the clicky on a Pelican M6 LED and Pelican L1 go - both times parts were sent out by Pelican as soon as I emailed them, great service! :)

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the short amount of time that the Fenix has been around, isn't it a little to early to have a failure? Since Surefire has been around for almost two decades, I'm sure there will be isolated incidences where their clickies have given out from wear and tear. All my SF clickies have been trouble free by the way.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a SF Z58 act up on me, but they replaced it. Never had any problems with the SW02 though. :)

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
have had 2 SF clickies occassionally hang up, but not outright fail. but I have SF replacements on the way.

LightAddict

Newly Enlightened
The tailcap on my U2 failed and Surefire promptly sent me another one. They sent me a Z59-BK,which did not match the color of my U2.I opened both tailcaps and swapped the switches.The old switch in the new cap seems to be working again but will get hung up once in a while when clicking off,the light will blink off and come back on again.It does not make a solid click like the new one on my U2.

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
I have had a Surefire U2 switch fail two minutes after opening the box, Still waiting for the replacement to arrive.

I've also had a Streamlight Ultrastinger switch go kaput. The light was returned to Streamlight and repaired free of charge (including shipping) within about 3 weeks total time.

Macaw

Enlightened
I bought three Fenix L1ps. One had a bad switch right off the bat. Warren promptly replaced the switch. I modded my L1P with two 10 ohm resistors. I'll keep it on high setting and will rarely go to the low setting. Using it as a twisty is my only hope of having this light last a long time. I have little confidence in the longivity of those switches. Other than that these are nice flashlights and I'm not sorry to have purchased them.

Safety1st

Enlightened
Yeah...on my Surefire U2 Ultra..

The flashlight is brilliant...

However, the tail switch clickie and the replacement one! is shite...

It sometimes remains in the ON position, despite several clicks to the contrary...

It's then over senstive..and the most gentle of pressure results in illumination..

I'm not impressed with it at all...and it's only on that flashlight....

greenLED

Flashaholic
the clicky on my U2 was bad right off the box. Still waiting for a replacement from SF, although I fixed it already by lifting the tiny tabs inside the switch (other people have had the actual switching mechanism fail -lack of lube?)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If you had included a Kroll switch in your poll, I think you would have additional reports of failure!!! :nana: There are those other Ram (?) clickies that have been used and I think folks have had some failure with them as well?

It would also be informative to know in how many of the reported failure cases, the cause was shown to be the clickie and not some external problem.

"My light won't turn on and I replaced the batteries ergo the switch has failed me."