Flashlights with 2 LED's

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if any manufacturers plan on making a light with 2 LEDs (1, 3 or 5 watt) to double the output? While comparing my Inova T4 with my T3 to see which is brighter, I put both of them together and they rivaled my SF M3 with MN11. With a 2 hour runtime for the T4, using 2 LEDs would reduce the battery life to 1 hour, which would be totally worth it for that kind of power. I know there are heat issues with some LEDs like my SF L4, which gets quite hot, but the T3 puts out little heat and the T4 puts out virtually no discernable heat at all.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure it will happen but meanwhile you will find 3,4,5 and more 3 watt models here and there is at least one commercial replacement for Mags that have six LEDS

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with just sticking 2 LEDs into a light might give you more light but horrible horrible beam pattern. Unless you use seperate reflectors/lenses. Then the head will be too big and the flashlight too awkward to handle. Easier to just tape 2 T2s together.

Terralux makes a 2 Luxeon PR bulb for 3 cell maglights.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/terralux_tle-6n.htm

Electrolumens makes them 3LED through 6LED. He is working on the ELX-12.
http://elektrolumens.com/
He's got his own sub-forum under manufacturers forum.

Electrolumens is designing a small 3 LED light called MY LITTLE FRIEND.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96368

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is enough of a demand for tri and quad Lux lights that there are ready made heatsinks that allow for one to be built. I'm in no way volunteering, but they usually go for $130 and up. Actually, if you don't mind the size, they are actually pretty effecient. I built one using 3 RW0H Lux I stars and IMS20 reflectors that runs direct on 3 D cells and it is impressive. R-bins put out between 40 and 50 lumens at spec and using a Vf of H, 3 alkalines will very slightly overdrive them so I figure an average of 45 lumens per star. Three of these make 135 lumens and draws about 1.12amps. That means that you will get very good battery lifetime... just a bit less than a single Lux III.

Icarus made a few pretty trick little lights with three T or U bins but runtime probably isn't going to be amazing on high though with a 2 stage switch, the low probably puts out a very usable amount of light. They also cost a couple bucks...
icon10.gif

The particular light I built puts out a HUGE hotspot. Of course, it's kinda triangular up close, but in actual use outdoors, you don't really notice. It's just like about six times the size of a single Lux III in a Mag reflector.

You could do something similar in a cutdown 1C sized mag that ran in a single 18650 with less runtime of course. I'd imagine it would be close to an hour plus or minus.

Last edited: