LEDBeam reflector question

Skyclad01

Enlightened
While I love my LEDBeam, its a little more of a spot light than I prefer. The question is, if I changed/modified the reflector to a stipled one would that help to give me a wider beam, less of a spotlight (which im certian it would). But how much loss would there be in throw.

I know this is a VERY simple question. But I thought it would be best to ask first regardless.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am actually hoping for an answer as well. I like my LEDbeam as well, but it is way too much of a spot light, and needs more flood to be an effective light to go walking with in dark trails and such.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector is the same size as a mag, so one of the MOP or heavy orange peel reflectors would be what you're looking for. I'm not sure who sells those on here, but they are common for hot-wire mag mods.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't sputtered an LEDBeam reflector as I only have 1, but you can also get a reflector out of any C or D cell mag and cut the cam off with a hacksaw (as is done for Lux Magmods) and then sputter it. The Stock Mag reflector will throw a tighter and hotter spot compared to the LEDBeam reflector and personally, I prefer the LEDBeam reflector myself and mine is in my very favorite Magmod.

Another option, though it looks a bit odd, is you can use one of McGizmos 27L reflectors as it fits perfectly fine in place of the stock reflector. It throws a narrower overall beam (from side of the spillbeam to the other side of the spillbeam) but it's all brighter than the spillbeam of the Mag or LEDBeam reflector.

You could also do as Isaac Hayes suggests and either use a Light or medium orange peel aluminum reflector or possibly a light stippled reflector. Personally, I'd just lightly sputter the reflector you have now as that would only cost about $1 and an hour of your time vs $20-$25.

There is ALWAYS a tradeoff between throw and flood. I've sputtered two LED Magmod reflectors... Personally, I have other lights that fill the role of wider LED light so I prefer to keep the reflectors smooth but it depends on how you are going to use it. If you're going to use it exclusively indoors where the light doesn't really need to have outrageous throw, then sure... I'd sputter it to get the wider hotspot. But looking across a semi large field, the wider hotspot can make 'scanning' go a bit quicker, that is, how you scan from left to right and back then going deeper into the field... The larger the hotspot, the quicker you can scan a field. But again, my personaly use, when I'm using a Lux magmod (for a reason other than to amuse myself or a friend), I'm usually either pointing it towards a sound I heard or scanning along a line of trees so the larger hotspot isn't as important to me as the increased throw.

What I would personally do if I was in your position, is I'd put up a post that I wanted to buy a stock Mag C or D reflector, I'd cut the cam down, and I'd sputter it and keep the LEDBeam reflector stock in case you don't like how it comes out. I'd also sputter it slowly. Two or three short sprays per application, let it dry, then try it in the light. After about 10 applications of 2 to 3 sprays each, the defined hotspot will be pretty much gone and there will just a brighter area in the center and a dimmer area around the edge.

My guess is you'll want to stick with 2 applications, or no more than 3 unless this is exclusively an indoor light.