Need Help with the "Roar of the Pelican" Mod

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am new to modding, and have only done some simple stuff in the past, such as replacing LED's in Dorcy 1AAA and modding Solitaire's to use Nichia LED's, but I really want a super power Maglite and the ROP seems to be the easiest/best option for me.
Can someone help me with the general knowledge of the ROP. I have read all the posts concerning it that I could find using the search feature. What I have learned is:It uses a 4D or 2D Maglite (I want to use the 2D), and It uses a 24W bulb from a Pelican light, and is unbelievably powerful!!!
I think I know all of the parts that are needed for making this light, but it would be nice if someone could tell me EXACTLY what to buy, and possibly where to buy it from. Are these all the parts involved:

Maglite 2D
24w bulb
52.1 mm glass lens
metal reflector
3AA-to-D holders
rechargable batteries

Is this everything? Please inform me on this light, so that I know alot more.

Thanks alot:)

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
ROP homepage.

Battery adapters from modamag

Cammed LOP and LS reflectors from fivemega

Camless reflectors from lightedge

or, you can get a few items from litho123 here.

The best batteries for a 2D mod are the CPB 1650 mAh, AA cells from cheapbatterypacks.com Although they lack capacity, they maintain a higher voltage under load than higher capacity cells.

Borofloat lenses can be bought from litho above or from flashlightlens.com (who's out at the moment)

Big D bulbs can be bought from brightguy.com

With the ROP mod, you may need a micra heat sheild. I'm not too sure about that. :shrug:

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
No mica heatshield required - that one is a good for bipin mods, but the ROP uses a PR base, which seems very, very heat-resistant even with all the runtime I put on mine.

Thank you for the EXCELLENT writeup on where to get the components!

I'll say it again.. for those planning to use alkalines in this mod, GOOD LUCK TO YOU :p (use NiMH please, and preferably the good CBP1650 stuff)

falconz

Newly Enlightened
Erm... just to inform you all that I tried out using 6 x CBP1650 in a 2D Mag on the High output 24W of the pelican bulb.
It only lasted all of 10 mins before it dims to oblivion....

I think either a 4D(for more batts) or use the Mag 2C and 2 x 18650 batteries would be more recommended.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
EEbrowler, thank you very much. That is exactly the response I was hoping for!:)

I think I am going to stick with the 2D version, even though it has much worse runtime (as stated by falcon). I think it would be easier since I wouldn't have to mod the base of the flashlight, like I would with the 4D version.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
falconz,

Something is up with your ROP. Running that configuration should get you 15-20 minutes before dimming.

And NEVER let NIMH cells "dim to oblivion". That will damage them irreparably. In fact, if you have done that with the cells, it may be the reason that you are only getting 10 minutes out of them.

Bill

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, I think I have almost everything figured out now. I only have one more question. What type of charger is needed to charge those CPB 1650 mAh batteries? I have a Energizer charger that is made for 2500 MAH batteries, would that work? My charger only charges 4 batteries at a time, so I figured I needed a charger that charged 6.

Thanks

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
The Energizer charger will work.

Bill

Oh, I figured it wouldn't I guess I was wrong.

Anyways, can you recomend a 6 cell charger that will work really well with these batteries? I am hoping to find a 6 cell charger so that I can charge all of them at the same time (unlike my Energizer which only charges 4 at a time).

Thanks

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
adrion, Batterycharger has a groupbuy going on right now. Charger No. one (I'm buying one) will charge from 2-6 cells in series. You'll either have to get a 6 cell battery holder or ask cheapbatterypacks to make a triangle configuration out of your AA cells and do a little moding to get them to fit inside of the maglite. Check here if you care to try.

There are many other chargers out there which you can use. Check out Silverfox's charger thread.

KevinL: comming from you, one cannot ask for a greater compliment; :D :bow:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
EEbowler,

THanks for the help yet again.

I don't know what you mean by "Triangle Configuration". I was planning on buying 2 of the 3aa-to-D holders. Won't that work just fine?

nickz

Enlightened
You do not want (2) of the 3AA to 1D holders. You will be better served by a 6AA to 2D holder or an 8AA to 2D holder with 2 dummy cells. This will ensure a good fit with whatever cells you use from what I hear. This will cut down on resistance introduced into the circut. I use rayovac 2500's right now with 7AA and 1 dummy cell in a 2D ROP and I could not be happier with the results... Very bright and very white. This is overdriving the ROP HOLA bulb hard and life expectancy goes way down in this configuration. You will just have more options with the 8AA holder and 2 dummy cells than a 6AA x 2D holder. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
adirondackdestroyer said:
EEbowler,

THanks for the help yet again.

I don't know what you mean by "Triangle Configuration". I was planning on buying 2 of the 3aa-to-D holders. Won't that work just fine?

I would advise you to go with modamag's 6AA adapter instead of two 3AA to D adapters. If you are looking cut costs by buying cheaper 3AA-D adapters, you'll also cut performance... Adapters will work just fine.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
eebowler said:
I would advise you to go with modamag's 6AA adapter instead of two 3AA to D adapters. If you are looking cut costs by buying cheaper 3AA-D adapters, you'll also cut performance... Adapters will work just fine.

Well... I already bought two of Elektrolumens 3AA-to-D adapters from another member on this site. I'm not looking to be a cheapskate at all, I just thought that using 2 of the 3AA-to-D adapters was the way to go? What are the differences between using two of the 3AA adapters VS. using one of the 6AA adapters?

falconz

Newly Enlightened
bwaites said:
falconz,

Something is up with your ROP. Running that configuration should get you 15-20 minutes before dimming.

And NEVER let NIMH cells "dim to oblivion". That will damage them irreparably. In fact, if you have done that with the cells, it may be the reason that you are only getting 10 minutes out of them.

Bill

Thanks for the advice on the NiMh but fortunately the cells are still ok. The Dimming is quite rapid and I switched it off before they drain away. Those were the first time I tried that batt config for the ROP so those were brand new CBP1650s. So I cannot find any reasons for the short runtime yet.

As for the Electrolumens 3AA to D holders, they cannot work with the CBP 1650 cos of the flat nipples at the positive end of the batteries. There would be little or no contact. I ran my six CBPs in Fivemega`s holders. That worked fine.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damnit! I already bought 2 Elektrolumens adapters. Are you sure they don't work? The other site suggests them as the ones to use for this mod, and that is why I bought them.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are on the ROP homepage, and the instructions on how to build a 2D ROP.

"4B. If you want a smaller light or if you do not have the equipment to charge sticks, you can build the ROP into a 2D Mag if you use Elektrolumens' excellent 3AA-to-D holders. You need two holders, and six CBP1650 AA cells from cheapbatterypacks.com (CBP)"

If my Elektrolumens holders won't work, what should I get instead? I want a 100% made 3aa-to-D holder (not a kit that I have to make myself). I also want one that the batteries can be taken out of and charged individually.

wtraymond

Enlightened
falconz said:
Thanks for the advice on the NiMh but fortunately the cells are still ok. The Dimming is quite rapid and I switched it off before they drain away. Those were the first time I tried that batt config for the ROP so those were brand new CBP1650s. So I cannot find any reasons for the short runtime yet.

I think you may have revealed the problem here. Brand new rechargeable NiMHs will not have full capacity until they've run through a few cycles - maybe 5-10 charge/discharge/recharges.

Your 10 minutes of runtime is normal on new cells. Expect that to double once your new cells are properly conditioned.

You can get two unprotected 18650 li-ions in a 2C Mag a get about 30 minutes runtime with the HOLA. If you must use the 2D you can still use the 18650s or you could fit four unprotected 17670s (two in series, two in parallel) and get about 40 minutes runtime.

CheapBatteryPacks also has a new sub-C cell the IB4200. You can fit six new IB4200s in a 6C Mag and get about one hour runtime from the HOLA.

The best capacity I've seen for an unmodified Mag will be the 2D sporting two of Emilion's 'D' size li-ions with 5200mah capacity each. Two of these in an unmodified 2D Mag will give you about one hour and 15 minutes with the HOLA.