Do you have a desire for increased light output?

iamerror

Enlightened
Do you keep wanting to have a brighter flashlight, or are you pretty content? (Just for your main daily-use flashlight)

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do have a desire for increased light output?

After you pass the initial more-is-better phase, you might start finding multiple brightness lights the most desirable.

For a daily-use, multiple brightness should be the ultimate goal. Of course, from there, it'll be good if the max is super bright and the min is dim enough.

For show lights, more is better! 1300 lumens (approx) from my 24w is still not enough. I'm always looking out for brighter (affordability is important too) show lights, but one that does not threaten to blow up in my face or burn my house down :p

Luxman

Enlightened

I am fairly content for normal tasks, but I still want more!
I think I will always want lights to be brighter.. :)

Last edited:

shadowman

Newly Enlightened

I'm content with the output of most of my lights. Runtime is more important to me than absolute brightness.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

I live in an apartment downtown.

There are lights built into the street.
There are lights built into the house.
The longest straight distance in my apartment is 15 feet (5 meters)

1 watt LED and brighter is fine for me.
I am more interested in an even flood beam pattern (household lights do not have hotspots) and tint (no angry blue, no ugly purple).

IonFire

Enlightened

I'll have to agree a bit.
It is nice having a dimmable light.

It would also be nice to have a light capable of setting small animals ,bushes and like on fire at will with it.(Ya know, like Sulu's phazer, Flashlight,Phazer and Fabulous) j/k:)

I think i will always, look towards the future lights coming out, this does not mean i will wait for them without nothing in hand, just looking forward to versions where you can signal the mother ship with it.

IF

trivergata

Enlightened

I use my HDSU60 on secondart most of the time, but that blast on max is really nice. I'll always want a brighter light, but not unless I can control it with lower settings.

Josh

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just what Shadowman just said!

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened

I would love to have an absolute throw monster. No spill, all spot. 12" hot spot at 100 yards.

Pocketable of course.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast

The multiple settings on the HDS U60 keep me pretty happy. Even with the depleted battery I have it in now, it is still useable. I'm highly likely to get a U85 because at high, the 60 is IMO almost what I'd want for intermediate lighting. At that point, I feel 95% of my flashlight uses will be covered.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Desire? Absolutely!

Need? Well, for my EDC work light--no, the brightness works fine and I am content. The Mediterranean 2AA suits my needs and can be reconfigured when needed to adjust to my demands.

My other lights is were my concentration is aimed this year. My bicycle helmet light, bicycle frame light and keychain light are the only lights that get upgrades this year.

The bicycle helmet light is the first one up, presently a Fenix L1P that needs more punch. MillerMods is building a 1.7 watt version that will give me the added punch I require. I am very familiar with the performance of an R bin running at 500mA as a helmet light. Still have my BB500 R2H minimag that used to be perched on my helmet mount for several years.

The keychain light is going Luxeon AAA this year. Like my Matterhorn 3 Snow29 HO but prefer Luxeon goodness through a reflector and like hours of runtime. Pacific AAA will be ordered the first day they are available February 6th. I want to see how it compares against my Lambda MicroIlluminator AAA and estimate it would be about the same but with better durability,smaller size and 5 hours of runtime with lithium AAA.

The last light is my bicycle frame light. Not sure how this one is going to play out but 4 Luxeon K2 LEDs are involved. Have a HA-III bored Mag 2D and 8AA to 2D adapter on order to have the build completed by September. Hoping for Andrew Wynn's BAM 4 emitter drop-in so 400+ lumens will light up the street. If the BAM does not play out, maybe pick up some parts at the Sandwich Shoppe (Shark regulator looks good) I should be done by the end of the summer.

My desire is not to have a need for more light output!