Gerber Infinity Ultra??? Any comments?

paulr

Flashaholic
They are not as popular around here as the old model, but functionally they are fine. Several CPF'ers have bought them and tested them. I have one but it's still in its package since I might give it to someone or whatever. They are easier to mod than the old model but they are not as nice looking. Countycomm sells them for $15 which is about what the old one sold for when it was new. People are paying $35+ for the old model now, which I guess is worth it to connoisseurs. If you just want a user light, the new one is fine.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
The older one (lug style - twist bezel to turn on) is built like a tank, reliable, with great runtimes. Throw a lithium AA in it and you've got a handy little torch!

morituri

Newly Enlightened
I have the older Infinity Ultra. It does the nightly bathroom duty for my kids; it's a solid performer (but not exciting by today's standards), lasts forever on a lithium AA and is built like a tank. What's not to like?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Don't know about the original ones, but did have the current prevailing model. All I can say is that it "looks" well built. Gave it away because it's light output is definitely too weak for my tired eyes. And that's even in total darkness. . .Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
Hi Scott -

I got two CMG versions and thought they were almost perfect for some general uses, like walking a trail, doing close tasks at night. When Gerber version came out, got one of those two and it started to get quirky about turning on. Then I lost that one on a plane, got another replacement Gerber and in short order it started to get funky about turning on. Despite cleaning contacts and all the obvious stuff. Took it back and got another, and this one got quirky in the same fashion. I eventually played with it enough to cause it to fail completely, and that convinced me that something wasn't tight in the heads and the twist switch caused a wire breakage failure. Reason: with last one, pressing sidewise (gently!) on the LED itself would make it turn on when it wouldn't any other way, then that failed to work.

I am hesitant to slander the Gerber version based only on my experiences - I got all mine at REI and maybe they had a bad lot. Yours might be far better. For me, the original was great and Gerber did nothing to improve on it, perhaps degraded it. Just something to consider. Not sure that the prices originals bring is solely based on collectability.

Consider also the Peak AA (Killimanjaro I believe...) which is very similar to the original CMG in design. It doesn't seem to have the same long runtimes as it gets around 8 hours on alks, not sure why, but central spot whiter and wider (on mine at least). A good and comparable light.

- Bill

Last edited:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought three of the Gerber version from batterystation.com for $15 each. Moded all of them with Nichia CS LEDs before dark. I think they are wonderful little lights now, almost as bright as my Opalec NewBeam with three normal Nichia LEDs.

Bonez

Newly Enlightened
I have had the origional CMG Infinity Ultra (although with the HAII its slightly worse for wear now :laughing: ) I find that it is the perfect light for navigating through the house to raid the fridge at 2:30 in the morning when you dont want to wake everyone else on the street up (like if you were using a U2 or some of the other rediculous lights that some people somehow strap onto themselves for edc!!) Also, for most of us younger folks, with dark adapted eyes the ultra can be used for just about any task. In fact it was the only light that I owned untill I stumbled across this forum and then the wallet frenzy began :naughty: . As long as the build quality of the gerber is up to mostly the same par as the original cmg one, and ive read that the brightness is close, then you should get many, many years of happy, useful use out of your light.

ps. i am not making fun of anyone who uses a large flashlight for edc. if i could afford a U2 right now i would definatley find a way to edc it:rock:

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I don't have the CMG(?) but the current model seems pretty much sturdy and well built. There is no rattle or wobble from whatever moving parts there is on it. The clip is solid and not flimsy. Finish is nice.

Now someone said that there's a Nichia CS version available. Well I wonder if REI would be willing to let me see it first hand and compare it with the one before it. . .

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my new model Gerbers, especially because I can put in a Nichia CS easily, and they can be stood on their tail for area lighting. I am not aware of a factory option for the Nichia CS LED. The stock LED was rather disapointing in both brightness and color (blue!), but the CS LED makes it a real favorite of mine. But the light is a work of art for machining quality IMHO, and the threads have just the right, consistant amount of play to make it work well as a momentary on when backed off about 1/8 turn from on. I have a step-by-step for the LED mod and reflector polishing in "homemade and modified" (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/98568) if you decide to go this way.

Edit to add link (thanks Lebox97)

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, all of my CMG Ultras have the blue in the middle, green on the edges tint but I still find them to be great little lights. I just mentioned that if I was going on a trip of unknown length and destination, an Ultra would be the very first light I would bring.

Personally, I've used the Ultra in very rural settings (ie, rugged terrain, not 'a park' that was so dark that you HAD to be able to see what was in front of you or you could readily get hurt. While the Ultra isn't what I would recomend for such use, it gave me plenty of light to navigate.

I'm pretty sure that unless intentionally abused the CMG or early Gerber styles will last basically forever. I had one of the newer style Gerbers but a gun friend wanted it so I sold it. I don't have anything against the newest style, and I don't think it's a flawed design, but I just never used it nearly as much as the CMGs.

They are no longer one of the 'it lights' they once were, but in my opinion, they are still on the very short list of 'must haves' of the flashlight world.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pleased with the newer Gerber Infinity Ultra (bought from REI). I've been spoiled by using a 1 watt Luxeon 1AA LED Lenser David 15 so I wish the Gerber IU was brighter than it is.

An alkaline AA battery seems to last forever in the IU.

tracker870

Enlightened
I've had both old & new. I kept the old ones.
I was never impressed with the new model. I had one new model with a ripped O-ring right out of the package. Had others that came out of the package with gouges/dents in the tube, with finish over those, so the manufacturing defects were present prior to finishing.
Poor quality control.

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
I agree!
"Set the Way Back Machine, Sherman".... Turn the Gerber Infinity into CMG Gov. Infinities with modern state of the art 5mm Leds in the original HA Tank package! Not much hope of that though.... Gerber once made great knives, too! Now they make cheap knives and cheap lights. IMHO!
However the new package does strip and polish up pretty and is easy to mod..... but I'll keep the CMG Gov. on my keychain until it doesn't work any more!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that this neccessarily matters, but the old ones were definately made in the US and I believe the new ones are made in China.

Is this correct?

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I have both the CMG and Gerber Infinity Ultras. Both function flawlessy. Both are built like tanks. At first I thought the CMG looked a lot better but I think I was just biased. As soon as I shedded this bias I realized the Gerber could possibly look cooler. I also realized that the Gerber version is functionally superior (IMO), as you can use the play in the threads for a momentary press switch by simply unscrewing the tailcap less than an eighth of a turn and presto, you've got a momentary switch, AND also the fact that the Gerber CAN STAND ON ITS TAIL. By the way, another question regarding the GIU: Does the bezel end unscrew or is it even threaded in there (is that groove just machined in there) or is it just screwed in there with loctite?? Lol parnass, about you enjoying your 1AA Coast Led Lenser David 15, us both!!! (remembers who's recommendations persuaded you to buy the David 15)
*points to self* :)

daloosh

Flashaholic*,