I going nuts

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
Over the past couple of weeks, I have been all over the board on what lights I need.

I want an SF L1, HD 45, Aleph 3, Princeton Tec Apex, SF M3T, SF Z2...

There is no coherent theme to these needs.

I am an avid outdoorsman and fisherman with lot's of great gear, but this hobby is driving me nuts.

I feel like I am going to end up on Jenny Jones on a shopaholic episode.

All I need is my McLux-PD, E1L, L2, A2. I keep telling myself that.

I would love a utilitarian thrower like the HD 45 though...

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're not going to get any sanity from any of us! We'll just recommend that you buy more! (it does sound like you need a good incandescent thrower.....) :)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
lets see the REAL need:

1 headlamp (apex, better were an EOS with batt compartment for AAs on back)
1 EDC light, 2AA (1 AA maybe), runtime 5 hours on normal, much more on low level and, as an option: power mode (~2 hours). These runtimes unfortunately kick the Fenix, but still it is still the best, except for a homemade mod
1 area light / Spotlight ... whatever

that said, naturally I own much more lights, but even my strongest ones (SF 9N) dont see much use. The Lux III Mod (inside the 8X body) fulfills my need for an area light absolutely, and there is no brown light as with the incans...

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, hurry up and buy that HD45, ok? I've been thinking about those a little bit, and I want to see some more reviews. Please choose one with a hard-driven lux V, thanks. :devil:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it would help to catagorize the general nature of the lights, and start by buying one in each catagory.

Example - Lux III, 2 x 123, flood beam, throw beam, Lux V, and a real powerhouse light handheld light.

After that, it starts becoming more like stamp collecting, which is fine also.

I personally don't think there is a lot of "utility" value in owning of lot of lights in the same "class", but that doesn't mean I don't own them.

greenLED

Flashaholic
(the GreenPUNK sneaks behind unsuspecting 78CJ5 and pushes him into the flashaholic abyss of enlightment...)

:whistle:
ain't getting no support from *this* flashaholic! :crackup:
:nana:

Now, seriously, HarryN's suggestion is a good one. What is it that you really *need* (vs. what you *want*). You'd be surprised to know I don't own a lot of lights, but the ones I have are used all the time.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can categorize flashlights buy, it surely helps.

I would set a maximum amount to spend monthly on flashlights, and NEVER exceed that.
Then, you work your flashlight purchases within the established budget.

Anthony

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ahhhh, isn't it soooo much fun though?! :D

One of my problems (many others can probably relate), is that not all of the nifty torches that are presented to us here in the CPF (retail & custom) are available locally of course. Therefore I've got to wheel~n~deal...here~n~there and figure out where & how I'm going to get these to check out.

So one ends up with a number of lights to check out and evaluate. It's not good enough to read about them or just see pics...then something new comes out and one needs to justify/rationalize that next acquisition...FUN, FUN, FUN...

Yep, I'm one of the "sickos" for sure! :ohgeez:

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
You cannot go wrong with the HD45. I'm a outdoor guy as well and if I could only have one light that would be it, and I'm mostly a modded Hot-Wire guy so that should tell you something about how good that light is. The HD45 is the most versatile light I know of and the relationship between output, runtime, size and weight is just perfect IMO.
So when visiting mother nature I pack a combination of the following lights (somtimes all, depending on the situation): McLuxIII-PD (or StreamLight Strion), HD45, Princeton Tec Apex (or StreamLight Argo HP) and a high power modded incan.

Sigbjoern

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
78CJ5 said:
Over the past couple of weeks, I have been all over the board on what lights I need.

I want an SF L1, HD 45, Aleph 3, Princeton Tec Apex, SF M3T, SF Z2...

There is no coherent theme to these needs. . . .

Ok, I don't see where there is a problem.

You should always use the proper tool for the job, right?

People who use a cheap plastic grocery store flashlight for everything have a problem.

Scott

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will say, that one flashlight I really don't need, but keep coming back to as a really cool light, is Pablo's (peu) wood skin light. I just cannot get that one out of my mind.