SureFire Lanyard throws my M3 to the ground

laserbokkie

Newly Enlightened
Hi, my new M3-CB just recently arrived.
Having owned an M3 b4 (lost) i expected nothing much different accept the bezel.

Now the lanyard that came with the light, was open and not closed where the two ends meet.
My old one had this plastic clip into which the ends were heat-glued.
Not really happy with the lanyard.

Then there is this new hook, some call it heavy duty hook. I agree to that, looks a lot tougher than the old style.
But why the heck, would this thing constantly open wen i carry my M3 hanging from my wrist, like i always carried my old M3, and my 4 hour out of the box SureFire M3 Millenium Series Light plunges happily onto the tarmac just to get a nice scratch on the wonderfully shaped bezel?

This happened a few times while i was at the first time thinking it was my mistake. But after 3 times hitting concrete and the road and a scrathed bezel, i don't think i am that wreckless.

I wish i had at least my old lanyard back....

Final question:
Are all SF Lanyards bnow open at the end for you to make a big ugly knot?

cheerz
bokkie

Last edited:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cord lock comes off the end, causing the light to drop? Or the clip comes unhooked?

Scott

laserbokkie

Newly Enlightened
beezaur said:
The cord lock comes off the end, causing the light to drop? Or the clip comes unhooked?

Scott

There is no cord lock at all, never was attached on the new one.
I had to make a knot to close it.

And this new style hook opens at free will which causes the light to drop when hanging/swinging in walking motion.

It's a "no good" thing for a 250 bucks metal piece.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

laserbokkie

Newly Enlightened
mine looks like the first one.
Just that mine is grey and not black as indexed on the SF page.

On the Z60 lanyard, you see this heavy duty hook. The ring it goes through, is much bigger. Seems like someone at SF mixed the accesoires up to have me get scratches on my 4 hrs old baby??

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I got my M3-CB, I saw the little metal clip and compared it to the "cooler" clip that came with my other lanyards (A2, L2, etc.). But I think if you use the "A2/L2" type hook with the metal ring on the M3, it will come unclipped. The bent wire latch on the A2/L2 clip looks nicer and is easier to use, but it comes undone very easily if not clipped to a cord or the plastic lanyard ring.

Maybe that is the problem, you have the wrong clip.

Scott

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
laserbokkie,

Forget the clip entirely. Instead, loop your lanyard through the tailcap ring like in this picture:

mountains_005.jpg

George1

Newly Enlightened
The lanyard on my fairly new M3T also has open ends. My other SF lanyards all have closed ends. I thought perhaps they had forgotten to install the end piece so I called SF and was told that was the correct lanyard for that model. It came with two cord locks that can be adjusted.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a couple of those open ended lanyards. I see no functional reason for this and they look unfinished and sloppy. Lighthound sells those closures for $.75 and I bought a few and finished them off.

Now, I am confused about the two different types of hooks and the different lights they work with. Don't really want to be flinging or losing my SF's.

Maybe someone can post some pics to help clarify.

Mark

CLHC

Flashaholic
I have said lanyard and have had not experienced any "ADs" (accidental drops) with my SureFires. On bezel down, the "gate" from the lanyard hook is towards the body at rest. Don't know. . .But it works for me.

Yooper

Enlightened
Flash_Gordon said:
Now, I am confused about the two different types of hooks and the different lights they work with. Don't really want to be flinging or losing my SF's.

Maybe someone can post some pics to help clarify.

Mark

There are links to pics in post #4 above.