Fenix "Sudden Death"

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I was enjoying my L1-P when it suddenly went out. I tried fresh batteries, cleaning contacts etc. but to no avail. I had used it for several hours and it had been fine until it quit. My usage was "normal" and I hadn't abused the light in any way.

However....I had used L92's (lithium) because I wasn't happy with the alkaline runtime. I got the impression that lithiums were ok based on a few random posts but perhaps they were the culprits. I won't reorder if the L1P isn't lithium-friendly.

Anyone know for sure and has this happened to anyone else?

Brightnorm

roguesw

Enlightened
brightnorm i had the same type of failure but it wasnt a fenix, it was my mclux, i found out that one of the wires had come off, it was a poor solder joint, is it possible to open up the fenix and check inside?
just a thought
Des

lamperich

Enlightened
it´s a popular but also a not mentioned (manufactur) combination.
by the way it´s the first report. Ask fenix if warrantyservice include Lithium primarys use..

Just a few question:
Do you use it very often in "momentan on" action? maybe like a strobo effect?

i wonder all the time how fast voltage will drop from ~1,8V (open Voltage) down to 1,3-1,4V. But i don´t think this is a problem.
i got a XM-3 which suddenly didn´t turn on. It was a faulty contact. (in my cause it´s a design failer)

Can you also check the switch with a DMM? maybe this is faulty and stops working.

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't mention lithium primary use and just try get the warranty service. If they won't fix it, you can bet there's somebody around here, if not you, that can fix it.

Last edited:

cacer

Newly Enlightened
also try it without the switch.(use a wire to connect) .
perhaps the switch is the problem.

alberto

Enlightened
Based on my own similar experience with my L1P, I suggest that you check the switch. I had to replace mine. If this is the problem, you can wire across the switch and make it a twistie. This might be a temporary solution until you get a replacement switch -- or maybe you'll like the twistie.

HGB

Newly Enlightened
You're both aparently right B@rt and Robban -> "the manufacturers page states that lithiums are ok as well....", except that if you read the warning paragraph on the only sheet of paper that comes as all-in-one documentation with the light, clearly states:
"The input voltage of the Fenix is 0.9V ~ 1.5V. Please do not use other types of batteries (especially 3.6V lithium battery) except AA alkaline battery or NiMH battery. Otherwise the flashlight will be damaged".
Kind of ambiguous discourse.
So, the question... Wich is the Fenix official position about the use of primary AA Lithiums in Fenix L1 family lights?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be good to isolate the switch as a possibility by shorting across the battery negative to the battery tube end with a wire or metal object with the tailcap off. If this makes it light, it is either the switch itself or contacts in the switch assembly. If it still won't light, the problem may be in the engine. Then you have possible warranty replacement, or consider sending it to Miller Mods for an upgrade. I believe he would replace any of the likely faulty parts anyway.

My take on the lithium thing is that 1.5 volt nominal (the Eveready's from the local stores) are fine. They just didn't want that to be confused with OK'ing the use of Lith-Ion rechargables, at over twice the voltage, which surely would cook the light. Hence the original package insert warning. I think the clarification on the web site is a reaction to the unexpected number of people wanting to run lithium primaries over alkaline or NiMH.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
alberto said:
Based on my own similar experience with my L1P, I suggest that you check the switch. I had to replace mine. If this is the problem, you can wire across the switch and make it a twistie. This might be a temporary solution until you get a replacement switch -- or maybe you'll like the twistie.
Unfortunately that didn't work

BN

HGB

Newly Enlightened
Here it is the response to my email (Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 1:15 AM) from Christina Wang at Fenix Electronics Co., Ltd., which I've just received:

"Hello Hugo,

Thanks for your email. I am sorry to get back to you so late.
Non-rechargable L92 is ok to be used in Fenix L1P flashlight. If the voltage
of the battery is 1.5 V or so, that is ok. You can click here for the some
instruction of the battery:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/enr-l92-aaa-lithium.php

http://www.zbattery.com/l91bp8.html

Thank you."

paulr

Flashaholic
Norm, did anything happen with this since you posted? If you have more than one Fenix, and they're non-loctited, try swapping the heads around between bodies and see if that makes any difference. Also check the solder beads and anode contact inside the head carefully. Note it's ok to put an L2P head on an L1P body but not the other way around.