Maglite & ??? 3 watt 2AA & 3AA

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that Maglite has announced that they will produce a 3 watt 2AA & 3AA i began to wonder what others are out there. This combo is a VERY rare beast. I couldn't think of ANY 3 watt 3AA lights & could only think of the Elektrolumens XM-3 in a 3 watt 2AA form. There is a Chinese 3watt 2AA sold under various names: smartfire, apollo, etc. but it is a luxeon clone not a real luxeon. Does anyone know of any others?

Regards,

John

InfidelCastro

Banned
A 3W 2AA should be quite a step up in output from the 2AA incan. and its pathetic bulb
au.gif

I imagine the 3AA will be a tiny bit brighter and for longer, but it'll be less handy.

I wonder how they'll compare in brightness to my Dorcy Super 1W CR123A Luxeon?

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i have a funny feeling that the now rare 3 watt 2AA & 3AA form will be the most common flashlight form in a year or two! I wonder why???? :)

legtu

Enlightened
There's also the custom sandwiches for the minimags, etc.

Btw, the XM-3 makes use of a lux III but doesn't run anywhere near 3 watts. ;)

Raven

Enlightened
I can drop an LX3 in my front pocket, and if the new 3aa MiniMag isn't much bigger then I'm going to be all over one.

Though, until specs are released, and until reviews are in, I won't be getting my hopes too high.

I can forgive these new MiniMags being underpowerded, but good regulation is a must have feature for me.

dim

Enlightened
I think that the Mini is, both, a great and pathetic flashlight. Despite myself EDCing a 3AA Gerber LX3.0, I think that in a MM format a 3AA will have limited appeal. Most of the unenlightened who carry a Mini do so for its relatively small size. The 3AA defeats this. Many also don't care for the twistie bezel that require two hands by many and is never at the desired focus.

With a mind towards, not so much, flashaholics, but still, a more sophisticated consumer that would use such a flashlight, I think that MAG should consider a 3AA semi-mini version of their 2C/3C with a smaller head and reflector.

Not quite EDCable per se, but still pouchable/beltable for workmen, inspectors and others who would appreciate a larger, more versatile and useful reflector than is sported by the Mini and the ease of use of a clickie. I think that it would be better, still, if MAG shortened such a flashlight by replacing the "traditional" clickie with a good tail clickie.

Raven said:
The unregulated Gerber LX3.
The mostly flat discharge curve of NiMH batts makes regulation in an unregulated flashlight such as the Gerber LX3.0 a non issue. Free runtime too. For emergency and blackout situations, alkalies provide that looong discharge curve. Additionally, there is no efficiency loss from a LE/regulator. I like my LX3 a lot (read my posts) due, in part, to these reasons.

I also think that MAG should consider increasingly popular battery technology options in their flashlight designs.

dim

Last edited:

floscherl

Newly Enlightened
Did anyone put a MM+ sandwich in this Maglite clone?

yhst203198757323518832408561xb.jpg

Feed this light with 3x1.2V NiMH or 3x1.5V alkaline cells would be nice for this sandwich ;)

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Wondering if these MagLeds will be regulated... the 2AA will have to be in some form for sure, though I hope its power-regulated flat.

InfidelCastro

Banned
L.E.D. said:
Wondering if these MagLeds will be regulated... the 2AA will have to be in some form for sure, though I hope its power-regulated flat.

With a moon mode! :D

I don't know... with the 1W Luxeons out, I still find it hard to believe that Maglite is coming out with a 2AA sized 3W LED light that runs off AA's.

If it kicks butt on lights like the Fenix L2P I will be very happy! Low priced American made 3W light that runs off of AA's!!

Maybe I spoke too soon... anybody heard about prices yet?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
dim said:
With a mind towards, not so much, flashaholics, but still, a more sophisticated consumer that would use such a flashlight, I think that MAG should consider a 3AA semi-mini version of their 2C/3C with a smaller head and reflector.
I was just thinking the same thing this morning. Another CPFer wanted advice on a thrower he could wear at his side. Several Mag C mods came to mind, but that 2.0-inch bezel makes side carry problematic and pocket carry nearly impossible. With a flush head/bezel and AW's protected lithium-ion C cells, the Mag C could become a killer EDC, challenging FiveMega's 2x168A Stinger Mod.

greenLED

Flashaholic
dim said:
I think that in a MM format a 3AA will have limited appeal
...which is why the 2AA format will still be available, in Lux version.

L.E.D. said:
They said they would. We'll have to wait until someone 'round here graphs the output to see how flat the discharge curve is.

Incidentally, here are a couple of links on this same topic:
Thread 1 (lots of info on this one!)
Link 2

Also, the SHOT Show reports thread has mention of them.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget about my L2P 3.5 watt mod. Full reviews are right around the corner. I'm guessing the Mag 2XAA will be focusable though, so the L2P mod will be beat there :(