Inexpensive 1xCR123 light?

benh

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the market for a relatively inexpensive, compact 1xCR123 light. This light would mostly be for sucking the remaining life out of my old 123s.

Flat regulation would be nice. 3 watt LED would be nice. Under $100 would be nice. If I could afford it, I'd probably get an HDS, but I can't. Saving my pennies for that Stenlight. :)

For that matter, doesn't even need to be new. What would you folks recommend?

IonFire

Enlightened
Hhmm, how about a Nuwai Q3.
Cheaply priced, uses a single, runs for a good amount of time on a worn batt.

Just the first with a suggestion, better ones will come along shortly.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

IF

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
benh said:
...relatively inexpensive, compact 1xCR123 light. This light would mostly be for sucking the remaining life out of my old 123s.

Flat regulation would be nice. 3 watt LED would be nice. Under $100 would be nice.
All these things are found in the Q3:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_q-3.htm
Semi regulation as said in Quickbeam's review. I got mine modded by Milkyspit, he changed the driver to a DorcyAAA's board, and changed the Luxeon to a TYOH, and it's runtime is unbelieveable. On a "dead cell", it still ran for about 8 hours of usable light.
Also, if you can manage to find a AA extender tube for it (I got a 1xAA tube from a CPF'er), I had a "dead AA" (would not power a discman) run for about 10+ hours.

But a stock Q3 would be great too. I only say the Q3 over the Dorcy Super 1W CR123, because
#1 I own a Q3 and Q1, but not a Dorcy 1W
#2 The Q3 and Q1 come with clips(which are a selling point for me) and holster.

Too bad you missed the groupbuy for the Ilumibeam Ulteon X-1, that's a great little light at a even better price. And it came with a nice holster.

Those HDS's ain't so inexpensive to me! But you may want to save your pennies for one of those, that's what I was doing until I got the Q3 and had it upgraded. Almost ends up costing the same with all the modifications done, too.

Talk to brunner, he's another lover of "all things single cell". He would be very insightful, I'm sure.
I sorta surprised he hasn't chimed in yet...:poke:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are the ones I recommend to people looking for a low-cost 1cell 123A:

Dorcy Super 1W - $20 on sale at Sears ($30 normally)
Nuwai Q3 - $30ish
Nuwai ALX-2611X - ~$30 shipped
BatteryJunction Iota - $30+sh (uses optics for a tight spot w/ minimal spill)
Nextorch Z1 - $30ish
Pelican M1 - $30ish
Inova T1 - $35-$40

owenbright

Newly Enlightened
I bought the ulteon X-1 during the groupbuy. It's a great light, especially for the price.
It's got a really hot center spot and a weak side spill where as the Q3 seems more like
a evenly spread floodlight (at least one the one I have).
I'm waiting for them to sell the ulteon TF-1 model, too. Another group buy would be great.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gotta vote Nuwai ALX2611X. I got one for $21.50 from Amondotech on an order with other stuff, so the $6 s/h was no problem. And on Quickbeam's run time comparison graph, it had more brightness over a longer time than anything but the $110 Peak Caribbean (3.1 hrs at 95% of the Q3 level). I have been using it all over the house and garage. Wide bright spot that lasts and with RCR123 seems almost as bright as my Amilite (I may have won the Luxeon lottery on mine), but is smoother bodied with no edges so it is more pocketable. With a regular tail switch (Non-reverse), it is the first one I grab most of the time. Easy to use and not too expensive to be afraid to scratch or lose. A real utility light.

Last edited:

Tesla

Enlightened
...Another vote for the Dorcy Super 1-watt....good runtime, beam color, and throw....big bang for the buck.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl.../search.dll?from=R40&satitle=5196654693&fvi=1

i got this off ebay. had issues with the seller tho. but the light is awesome and where else can you get a CR123 rechargeable and charger?

it is a Lux III star clone however.

LUX_SL_10_01.jpg

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
The pewter Dorcy Super 1-watt is good light for the price though it comes with no holster or lanyard attachment etc. Personally I like my black version better as it is a little more sleeker than the pewter style, though I would like a holster for it so as to not scratch the black finish.

For you Canadians, it may still be possible to get the pewter Dorcy Super 1-watt for $20cdn at FutureShop/BestBuy if they still have any left.

onthebeam

Enlightened
I have a great Q3 that's a few months old. Goldserve modded it into a two-stage light for me. It has a wonderful smooth beam. Alas, I'm not using it much as I'm EDCing the Peak Caribbean, which is also a great CR123 light, but also $100. If you are interested in it, just send me a PM.