Will your favorite lights today still be your favorites in 10 years?

tron3

Banned
Due to popular demand, I have not made this a poll. :ironic:
Besides, it's scaring me on the increasing number who vote the "...let's get him!" option. :sweat:

There is no doubting that Surefire made their own class of flashaholics and took it to a new level. Before that, there were maglites, and before that, you lived with 6v or 12v lanterns.

LED certainly sucked me back in. But I wonder, will my favorite lights today still be my favorites in another 10 years? Will they become collectable classics? Will they be frowned upon as junk? Or will I keep them for memory sake, or for that "never to be repeated" classic design.

Heck, what will replace my Fenix L0P and L1P? What does the future hold...

Thoughts, comments, still want to get me? :nana:

Last edited:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a year or two's time, the current best and brightest will be antiquated and tossed aside (or modded). Lights will get brighter, smaller, and shine longer. Current lights won't be useless; at the very least they will be modded/updated, or given away to friends/family. But the flashaholic inside us will always covet the newest and best.

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
Personally my favorite lights are the ones that I have built/modded myself (actually my current favorite light is the one that I have not yet built), so I think in a few years time I will still have a soft spot for them.

I might give away some of my production lights, but only if what is available is vastly better for my uses. I don't buy lights because I want them, I buy lights because I need them. I MAKE lights because I like doing it, and I think those lights will always be special.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still like a big light now and then... feels good in hand. Also, big reflector/bezels have a kind of charm :D

Charlie Fox

Newly Enlightened
With the way technology advances these days, I doubt it! It seems whenever I say that no one can top the best light I have, someone always does...which works for me so I can buy more lights, so I'll keep saying it!

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some probably will remain favorites with some of us. If it were all about output and size we'd all have the same lights. A nice piece of craftsmanship will be appreciated for more reasons than just output and size.

Many like old cameras and guns because they like the way that they are made. Some will always drive old cars even though parts are expensive and hard to get and they get rotten mileage. Heck, I just read a thread about candles on CPF last night!

It also depends on the task at hand. If you have just the right light for a task there is no compelling need to change the tool -- unless the task changes. Nail guns are very popular but so are hammers, and hammers remain pretty much the same not because technology marches on but because driving a nail remains the same.

I will favor some of my little lights for a long time. The masses will drive the trends and eventually they pull almost everyone along with them.

Last edited:

Sixpointone

Enlightened
As much as I love my L4, and as much as I am considering buying a Kroma, I am not sure that they will be able to measure up to the Lights that might exist in another decade.

So whereas I have no question that my Lights will be usable, I do not think they will quite stack up against the new technology at that time.

tron3

Banned
Sixpointone said:
As much as I love my L4, and as much as I am considering buying a Kroma, I am not sure that they will be able to measure up to the Lights that might exist in another decade.

So whereas I have no question that my Lights will be usable, I do not think they will quite stack up against the new technology at that time.

I would like to think that that in 10 years, even the cheapest $1 store flashlight has some kind of LED in it. Heck, it may not happen. Incandescent bulbs may always be with us. You think bulb manufactures want to see their bread and butter go away? Going to be an interesting 10 years.

Oh, where can I buy LED bulbs for home use? I want something in the 40 to 60 watt range, in terms of illumination.

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
The only thing about lights that won't change in 10 years is the darkness they rid you of. Any light that fits the bill now will do so in 10 years time. It would only be massives improvements in efficiency that allow longer run times for the same amount of light that will change that. There are already many flashlights that are simply too bright for most uses as it is.

I guess the answer to the question depends on whether you define favorite as the light you would most like to use for a task, or the light you enjoy playing with most (or even just looking at most).

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a funny question to try and answer because it isn't really all about technology.

For example, I collect lanterns and one of my items is a "modern" production Dietz #80 Blizzard. (I say modern, it's about 25 years old). Now the Blizzard is hopelessly outmatched by modern options that don't smoke, spill if tipped, present heat/fire hazards, etc. But the ambience is so nice that it almost always goes group camping with me and does always find it's way along on "shameless car camping" trips.

I'm like that with a few of my flashlights too. If I'm feeling nervous or threatened I really itch for my MagCharger. No surprise, it was my duty light for several years. I also like to sometimes walk through the woods with my inherited Fulton Angle head light, it reminds me what my uncles went through in Vietnam (imagine the thick of a jungle with only that damn light...ugh).

On the other hand, the Night-Ops Gladius quickly found a firm place in my heart for it's combination of capabilities.

So I guess my point is that it is entirely possible to see myself still using the Gladius 10-20 years from now just like I use the #80. New and improved doesn't always completely invalidate the thing you already have.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
the_beast said:
The only thing about lights that won't change in 10 years is the darkness they rid you of. Any light that fits the bill now will do so in 10 years time.
Yup.

the_beast said:
It would only be massives improvements in efficiency that allow longer run times for the same amount of light that will change that.
I think that to a certain extent our lights will be used until technology moves along so far that the cells we use today become novelty items that are just too expensive to manufacture in small numbers. Just as people will drive their favorite auto until there is no gas available, some will use their fav lights until current cell technology is totally eclipsed and they are no longer produced. The new cells will be the final death knell for the old lights. Even then some will adapt a 'antique' light or two to run on the revolutionary new power supply -- just for fun.
the_beast said:
There are already many flashlights that are simply too bright for most uses as it is.
Isn't that the truth!

Planterz said:
In a year or two's time, the current best and brightest will be antiquated and tossed aside (or modded). Lights will get brighter, smaller, and shine longer. Current lights won't be useless; at the very least they will be modded/updated, or given away to friends/family. But the flashaholic inside us will always covet the newest and best.

I wouldn't say flash light is exactly a rapidly advancing technology. Incandescent lamps have pretty much matured in technology and efficacy hasn't changed much in decades. Many AC powered general lighting can reach 100 lumens per watt these days, but they were already getting 50-60 lumens to the watt in the 1950's.

LEDs might eventually reach 100 lumens per watt after considering driver circuit loss, but even then, getting a good amount of light takes a lot of power. The biggest hurdle of flashlights in general is the energy density and power density of portable power source.

It sure would be nice to have 1,000 lumen 55 watt halogen bicycle light and it is a piece of cake if there is a power source that can economically provide 55 watts for at least a few hours from the size of a 4 AA pack.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure that LED technology will improve rapidly, and battery improvements will also continue although at a less rapid pace. I'd find it hard to believe the form factor and battery life and light output of my latest ARC AAA will still not be very useful to me in ten years. For me lights that I actually use can be too bright. There will always be a room for brighter lights, but for lights I actually use, my needs are met by what I currently have and the current offerings of Surefire, ARC, and a few other companies.

-Keith

Mattman

Enlightened
I have a feeling that my LSH-P will still be one of my favorite lights even though I doubt I will use it very much. The simple, reliable, good looking design needs to be beaten before another light finds its way to my "favorite light" position. I'm always looking, but it's been a few years now and nothing has dethroned my trusty Arc from its number one ranking.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last few years I've sunk more money in high-end incandescents as technology is probably not going to change much for the next ten years. High-end LED lights are a worse investment in the long term, but hey, it's only money. :)

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking back to 2001 and my first white LED light,
The Pelican L1 started it but used odd-ball coin cell batteries and I broke the switch. Early 2002 the Batonlite was cool but those N cells were annoying and it started to flake out and was trashed. Late 2002 a BB500 minimag Luxeon worked great until I blew it up 8 months later. :(
A BB500 R2H took it's place and still works great after going through several optics/reflector changes. 55-60 lumens is still 55-60 lumens! It sits on a shelf at work when someone needs some bright light. Picked up a Lambda MicroIlluminator with R3J Luxeon and it is still viable going on three years. It is another shelf queen since the Pacific takes it's place.
Built a nFlex WX1S LuxV 8AA Mag and variable output 170 lumen LED lighting is very useful. The goodness of the design is I can upgrade the LED or batteries as technology advances. Yes, that puppy will still be running in 10 years...maybe as a 10 watt 1,200 lumen LED torch with a 18V A123 Systems Lithium-Ion battery pack.
The same goes for the upcoming 400 lumen, four K2 BAM! HA-III 8AA Mag. Eventual LED upgrades and battery upgrades but it will still be used in 10 years.
MillerMods L1P... I can upgrade the LED to boost output, has two output levels and works well. It might be pushed to the back a little by a variable output lithium-ion uber-light but it will be used as bicycle lighting as it is now. Family members will gladly grab a YWOG 300 lumen helmet light in 5 years.
The upcoming Pacific should have some interesting switching options to keep it fresh. Since it will run on multiple battery configurations and voltages of 1.2 to 3.6V... it can be adapted with no problems.
I can see my EDC work light changing every couple of years. Take the Mediterranean 2AA and strap it to my wife's bike for extra lighting. I can see a 3.6V A123 Lithium Ion powered variable output 200 lumen beast taking it's place but it must be a huge improvement. If lights are bright enough to use for it's purpose and the runtime is not a problem...why constantly change?
It took over two years to replace the BB500 R2H minimag as work EDC and after three years of running minimags as a helmet light (upgraded sandwich as needed) The MillerMods L1P was a drastic change with similar output but smaller, waterproof and lighter.
My other lights will not be replaced. UV and red lights are bright enough for their purpose so why replace them?
Behold the greatness of modded lights! I can upgrade them as needed and will do so. The only lights I consider to actually replace are keychain and work EDC lights. Sounds like I am dangerously close to being content with my lights... and you would be right! I am withdrawing more towards the modders section and battery/charger/electronics sections of CPF.
My minimag turns 4 this year! The modded parts turn 3 and to me it will be a classic that drove me down this path of enlightenment. All hail my $105 tricked out minimag!

tron3

Banned
NeonLights said:
... For me lights that I actually use can be too bright. ...
-Keith

Thus the reason why I believe most 3w and 5w lights should be multi-level lights. When your light isn't bright enough, well, that isn't your fault. But if it is too bright, you need a multi-light.

I know some people here hate the multi-level concept. I don't because it is 2 or 3 lights in one. Bright for distance, medium for coverage, and low for close up. Not to mention the power saved on the battery.

I would suggest single clickie lovers rethink it over. At least one of each.
Oh wait, around here we don't have one of anything. :laughing: