cleaning flashlights.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
how do you clean you flashlights.

I read a few years ago about a UK product called "MR SHEEN" it comes in an aresol can, or hand spray or wipes.

I have been told only to buy the original, as they sell it with a citrus smell.

I containes silicon, and has anti-static properties and also it smells nice.

It is basically a furnuture polish that you can use all round the house.

I have seen it recomended on a few sites as exellent for cleaning and lubricating.

I have hear of people using it to lubricate bike chains, door hinges.

I does a hell of a job of getting your flashlight nice and clean, as it containes silicon, it will also help protect the finish.

do not spray it directly onto your flashlight, but onto a lint free cloth.

their are a lot of furniture sprays out there, but most of them contain wax and do more to make a mess.

I would like to know what other cpf use to clean their flashlights.

e&oe

regards.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sturdy ones seem to get dirty faster, so I just unload the batteries, tie them up in a sock so they don't get scratched and toss them in the washer. I skip the fabric softener for that kind of stuff ;)

Otherwise a nice soap & water bath works okay for me..

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
my dad was using one of my 3d mags in the crawl space and got it all muddy.. he put it in the dishwasher with the dishes with no adverse affects.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it's just the lens that needs cleaning. I do so with a little liquid soap and water and dry with a hand towel. If I have a can of air I'll use that instead to dry off the lens.

xdanx

Enlightened
I use Rubbing Alcohol to clean just about every part of my flashlights, plus it sanitizes and dries on its own.

(just dont use it on O-rings!)

kennyj

Enlightened
I use a Lens Pen (google it) for occasional cleaning of the lens, and the rest of the light occasionally gets cleaned with warm soap and water much like how I would clean anything else in the kitchen. Compressed air to get lint out of my Arc-AAA, and alcohol to clean off the LED itself. If anything nasty actually managed to get into a light of mine:

1. Disassemble *completely.*
2. Scrub all accessible parts with dish soap/water.
3. Rinse out with water, then with alcohol if necessary.

I wouldn't recommend putting a light into a dishwasher or washing machine for the simple fact that water can get into places it shouldn't or needn't go, but also because the various chemicals used may themselves cause wear, especially to raw aluminum components and O-rings. With few exceptions, it's faster to just wipe it down with plain soap and water anyway.