Looking for Larger light.

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
Hello, I am extremly new to the world of flashlights. I have purchased a couple starting lights. The small EDC light I have purchased is the ARC LSH-P. I also got a SF 6P as a more medium sized light. However I want a larger kind of light. I dont want a huge mega light or anything. But I am looking for something bigger than the 6P that can just be a standerd "reach for" light when I am at home. So I guess my question is: What should I look for in a larger light (what kind of battery, etc.)? Also who makes the best ones, I looked at Surefire and didnt really see anything that appealing to me that was of larger size. And of that brand what are the best models? As I am just starting out, I dont really want to spend more the $150 on this light. Thanks in advance. :rock:

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
Now what is the brand and model of that light? Or is it a custom made light? Thanks very much Cheapo.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
its a Pelican m3.... but the newer version, it will be out about a month.

-David

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
It looks nice. Anybody else have osme suggestions. I like the m3 but I would also like some other options. Cheapo is there a review of the new m3 somewhere. I looked around but all I could find was what looked to be the older m3. Thanks.

carrot

Flashaholic
An Inova X5 is not a bigger light than the 6P in any way, but you might want to look into it as a nightstand light anyway since it can squeeze out a lot more useful light from the "used" batteries from your 6P.

NickelPlate

Enlightened
cheapo said:
its a Pelican m3.... but the newer version, it will be out about a month.

-David

I saw Pelican has the M6 Black Knight 2320 rated at 74 lumens and 7.8 watts. I wonder if the lamp module is compatible with the M6 2390?

Dave

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is... all the m series modules will be compatale with eachother (only the new m1 and new m3).

-David

NickelPlate

Enlightened
cheapo said:
it is... all the m series modules will be compatale with eachother (only the new m1 and new m3).

-David

Thanks for the info Dave. In that case I may just pick up one of those lamp modules. Would be nice to have the option to convert to the incan Xenon when I feel like it.

Regards,

Dave

Freedom1955

Enlightened
Trust me get a Streamlight Propolymer 4AA. It will take the place of most of your around the house needs. It has really good throw and runtime.:rock:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Check out flashlightreviews.com and theledmuseum.org for more info a wide variety of lights. That should give you a better idea of what light suits your needs.

I've been considering a Streamlight Strion for go-to light around the house (small, bright, rechargeable).

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
Yeah, I dont really want small though. I am looking for somethjing around the size of the magHID 8AA. And believe me if I had the money I would buy one of those in second. But I dont really think I need that much power nor do i have that much money to spend right now. But that is an idea of the size I want. Thank you greenled. I checked flashlightreview but they didnt have much of interest. I dont really know what it is I am looking for so it is kind of hard to tell. Cheapo I looked into the Pelican M series, The M9 and M10 looked good, but they were so cheap, are they really that good of a light. Thanks for all your help so far.

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
Ok so I checked out ledmuseum.org (thanks so much greenLED). And I came up with 2 things I liked. Both the 3D and the 2D 'Blasters' from elektrolumens link. Also the '5W LED Torch' link. I like both of these very much. The 'Led Torch' is a little bit smaller but ilooking at its beamshots appears to be extremly bright. With the 'Blasters' I think that the 3D might be almost too big for what I want. I really do like that 2D Blaster, it has a nice size and appears to be bright. So thats what its really between, the '2D Blaster' and the 'LED Torch'. I like both of them. However becasue I dont really now all that much about the quality of the lights. I am not quite sure which is better. Thats why I need your help. Which one would you go with? Thanks again so much for all your help.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you are looking for a serious mega-light with throw about the size of a 2D Mag?

Sounds like it is time to sniff around the modders forum! Grab a 2C Mag, a piece of tubing to wrap around three CR123A lithium cells and play around with different bulbs. Heck, for a few bucks you can get a "6D" Mag bulb or upgrade bulbs for that light and have some fun. $25

Change the bulb socket to a bi-pin, throw an aluminum reflector and get one of those Welch Allyn bulbs for extra punch.

Not good enough? Andrew Wynn has been working on a 2, 3 or 4 Luxeon K2 three level of output (twist the head for low/medium/high) Takes 90 seconds to perform the upgrade, has current regulated LEDs and should be simple to do. It will fit in C or D Mags so the 400 lumen BAM! will fit the Mag 2C running lithiums or you can pick up a bored 2D Mag for upgrading to 8AA NiMH power packs. The cost for the 2 LED (200 lumen) is $80, 3 LED (300 lumen) is $100 and 4 LED is $120. The drop-in mod should be available in May and should be worth the wait.

My HA-III bored 2D Mag with 8AA to 2D battery adapter is on order for that particular build. Watch out when it comes to modding Mags, the plethora of parts on CPF can make a "$300 Mag" easy to do!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
also, this light IS REALLY BRIGHT, And very big, but it is rechargable, and its metal.... something you might want to look into. It does use a xenon bulb though.

-David