Streamlight Stinger HP -VS- Surefire 8NX someone please help me with my decision

bascodog

Newly Enlightened
I am a LEO that is considering replacing my Stinger HP with a Surefire 8nx or possibly the Surefire 9an. I'm not concerned about the added cost of SF products. Which is the the better pick?

maxilux

Enlightened
Hi, in my opinion the Streamlight is very better, more brightnes and more distance,better price,very better price for replacement bulbs.
I have tested the 8NX and the 9AN.
When you have a light for schow, the Surefire is better, when you want to use, take the Streamlight.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never been completely satisfied with the output of my 8AX. The output has never appeared as bright as any of my 3 cell Surefire lights. I have not used the Streamlight enough to give a comparison between the two. The L7 looks promising but I would encourage you to handle this light and look at the beam before purchasing.

-Goatee

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have two 9AN's and an 8NX. I'm not a Police Officer.
I have a lot of respect for the durability of the 8NX which for years has been my grab light for diy activities and such.
The 9AN's are for feature-rich without a doubt.

The Stinger HP has a large diameter bezel for more a more intense beam.

The KT5 TurboHead kit for the 8NX/8AX is a 2.5" diameter TurboHead bezel for a more intense beam for longer range illumination.

The KT3 TurboHead kit for the 9AN is a 2.5" diameter TurboHead bezel again produces a more intense solid beam.

I really like the 9AN+KT3 but it does not produce the tight-intense beams of other TurboHead models. However, the beam is perhaps more useful for being larger and reinforced rather than thin and concentrated.

Here are some photos you may find useful:
P259.jpg

P260.jpg

P40.jpg

P61.jpg

9AN+KT3 inside a BlackHawk M6 Pouch:
P264.jpg

P93.jpg

If I were a Police Officer I would likely try out the 9AN+KT3 and the 10X as my dutylight for nights...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered asking some of your co-workers. While it's understandable that a very small number or none of them may be terribly knowledgeable, it would give you an opportunity to get an idea of what every one else is using. That can be an important factor in what you might want to base your selection of a back-up light on (presuming you have a department issued light, like an SL20X or Mag Charger, in the car.)

If most of your co-workers are carrying Stingers, you might want to consider a Stinger or Ultra Stinger so that others might be able to use your light in an emergency and similarly you'll be able to use their lights instinctively in a stressful situation.

It's better to be spoken about, in the present tense, as one of the guys, than to be remembered as the guy that had all the cool toys. To be more explicit, if your department issue sidearm is a Glock 19, and you carry a Sig 226 in .40 Cal (or vice versa); in an emergency situationm a magazine from a colleague isn't going to be of much use to you :)

bascodog said:
I am a LEO that is considering replacing my Stinger HP with a Surefire 8nx or possibly the Surefire 9an. I'm not concerned about the added cost of SF products. Which is the the better pick?

Size15's

Flashaholic
That's an extremely good point. Your tools should reflect the job/role you and your partner/team have and that includes the ability to share tools and such.

Al

bascodog

Newly Enlightened
I would first like to thank eveyone for their input, and for Size 15 thanks for all the images...very nice collection. As for your reconmedation to carry the dominator 10x, well I just recieved mine a week ago and have been using it on duty...it rocks, I love that light. Brighteyez the reality is 3/4 of my PD would not spend half their uniform allowance or any of their own money on a quality flashlight they just don't get it..so sad. I take it very serious however (K9, SWAT (entry team), and firearms instructor). I work permanent nights and carry the 10x Dominator, HP Stinger on my outer vest, streamlight tasklight in vest pocket (soon to be replaced by SF L2), and have a m-3 underbarrel light. As for the non-wariors on the department they still take out the old rechargable mag-lights that are junk and they may have a regular stinger (15'000 CP) on their belt, they don't get it. I did talk one officer on my shift into buying a tigerlight..nice light and my partner on SWAT just got the Gladius. The rest will wait to see what I do then they will follow suit.

Techsplorer

Newly Enlightened
I have the 8NX and they are a great kit for the price but being made of platic is a drawback IMO. I don't have any concrete evidence to support but I believe that the plastics inability to dissapate heat well causes me to go through more of those $25 bulbs than I should. I would stick to one with a metal body.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Nitrolon polymer of the 8NX is one of it's most important features over the 8AX and 9AN in my opinion. Far more durable and handles hard use better in my experience.

I can't comment on whether excessive heat shortens the lifespan of the lamps though. I guess it's possible but worth it if you tend to drop your flashlights!

Al

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well ... I wouldn't spend half my uniform allowance on a duty light either. On the other hand if something like a Stinger is half the annual uniform allowance, I'd think there is a more deep rooted issue here (i.e. budget). I can see where members of the department might not want to devote significant personal resources if their department can't provide reasonable support for equipment.

bascodog said:
the reality is 3/4 of my PD would not spend half their uniform allowance or any of their own money on a quality flashlight they just don't get it..so sad.