I got my first light today!

Allnew2me

Enlightened
Hello to all, I just today found in the mail my first light, a Surefire E2E and it is very impressive as you all already know. I can't believe the intensity of this small package. Thanks to this forum I found a place with free membership and a discounted price also. What a great bunch of obsessive (I mean that in a good way ) guys and perhaps gals. I have several normal flashlights but now that I am a convert I have to ask, what would be the reason to have another one of these?

Oh, I understand the desire to have more because they are all unique and different and I can certainly appreciate having a collection of such fun things. But strictly from a light point of view, what would another light offer that I don't have in this one? Is there really a difference in light quality between similar brands or do you guys just tend to buy larger, more light flashlights? I guess another way of putting this is, which one should I get next and why? :)

carrot

Flashaholic
Well, the E2e is high output, so naturally you want a low output one as well, right? :D I thought after the Surefire A2 I was done with lights, but then I just picked up an Inova X5 to polish off my 'used' batteries. I think the E2e is probably a great light to have if you only want one... but then you can get a KL1 head for it and have longer runtime. Or pick up an E1L, and then you can have an E1e, E1L, E2e, and E2L, provided you pick up an E1e lamp with it. Yeah, you would think someone around here would be reasonable and pick up only one light and stick with it... but it's just too much fun to have many. Next thing you know, you'll want a keychain light... and then a few more tiny lights...

In short, I recommend the Surefire E1L, and then you can swap heads if you like.
And the Inova X5, to use up batteries that won't light up the E2e anymore (plenty of runtime on those batteries ieft).
And a keychain light, like the Fenix L0P or Arc AAA, or if you intend on never leaving the E2e behind, the Photon Freedom Micro will suit you fine.

Edit: And 'gratz on your new purchase. I guarantee that won't be the last of them.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well congratulations there! You can check out The Sandwich Shoppe for additional "upgrades" for that SureFire E2e with heads and tail switches.

Way to go and Enjoy!

BVH

Flashaholic
And don't forget the BIG IRON - the Hotwires, both incandescent and HID! Sorry, but you've just begun to have your eyes opened! I see you almost have the "Buy them Both" attitude. WAY TO GO!

Luxman

Enlightened
Welcome to the club!
Consider lights for specific tasks like Very Long throw for distance or Very wide flood for work, walking or finding something. Variable intensity lights are very versatile in that you only use the amount of light you need. Use Low to avoid blinding yourself (like when reading) or greatly increasing runtime etc.
Take a look at the HDS lights. I have the Ultimate 60 and it is my favorite light.
http://www.hdssystems.com/EdcUltimate.html

rkboyer911

Newly Enlightened
Welcome and congrats!! I have the E2E also I love it I have carried it w/ me for several years. However they are right, sometimes to bright is not what you want. I just bought a Gladius from.... http://www.strategosstore.com/subcat.asp?0=982
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.strategosstore.com/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=982&1=983&2=-1[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Specifications

Contact Free Switching
The rotating switch uses a revolutionary, totally enclosed, contactless design which eliminates electrical connections between the tailcap and the power management system circuitry. Contacts ultimately wear and corrode, causing intermittent or loss of function. This equates to having a much more dependable and durable switch in all types of environments.

Waterproof To 50 Meters
Additionally, the design of the tailcap allows the end user to take the light to depth without water pressure activating the switch. The switch design allows pressure equalization inside and outside of the switch and is not subject to depth restrictions.

Digital Communication
The Gladius features a proprietary system that allows the tailcap switch to communicate with the intelligent power management system located in the front area of the flashlight. This is a first in this category of lighting tools.

Auto Temperature Control
Within the electronics package of the Gladius is a proprietary feature that automatically regulates the temperature. If a user neglects to Lock-out the tailcap and the light is inadvertently activated causing the temperature to become excessive, the automatic temperature control feature cuts the LED power by 50% (a 30% light reduction), allowing the temperature of the Gladius to gradually reduce. The light will continue to emit light at useful levels.

If for some reason the temperature is not reduced and it continues to increase past a critical temperature threshold, the power sent to the LED is automatically terminated to protect the LED and battery from being damaged. In an emergency, this shutdown mode can be reset, by turning the light OFF and back ON. The light will remain ON for 15 seconds and then shutdown again if the temperature is still too high.

You will also note this feature is activated when the light is placed on Constant ON for more than a few minutes (ambient temperature dependent). Due to the high light output of this light, heat is generated. The light will auto-dim and then cool. Simply cycle the tailcap switch to reactivate full-power output.

Low Battery Indication
The Gladius uses two 3-volt Lithium CR123A batteries. Run-time of the battery can vary greatly depending on the type of usage and dependent on ambient temperature conditions. When the battery life reaches a pre-determined point it will begin a process of two noticeable, consecutive, rapid pulses every 15 seconds. This low battery indication is active for the Momentary and Constant-ON modes only.

Runtime
Approximately 72 minutes of full power output PLUS an additional 18 minutes of gradually reducing light output @ full pwr and 400+ hrs @ lowest setting. (apprx 0.8 lumens)

Storage Temperature Range of the Flashlight w/o Batteries
40°C(-40°F) to +66°C (+150°F)

Temperature Specifications (battery)
Storage: -20°C ( -4°F) to 45°C (113°F) storage
Operating: -40°C (-40°F) to 48°C (120°F) operating

Battery Type
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CR123A Camera Battery
ANSI: 5018LC
IEC: CR17345
[/font]

Yes a bit pricey but hell you cant take it with you!! HAHA On the link there is some info on the light as well as a really cool video of it in action. mabey more than your looking for but hey you never know.
Again welcome to the board and good luck w/ you future purchases......Its addicting!

rikvee

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Allnew2me!

The E2e is an excellent light, it's smaller than a MiniMag with a much more even, stronger beam, and a tailswitch that works well.
If you go through more than, say 50 batteries a year, you could consider a KL4 Led Head and a Pila 600s battery but
I'd say say stop right there, quit while you're ahead!

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest that you fall in love with incandescents. Hotwires are advancing less quickly. My LEDhead friends fall out of love with their acquisitions as soon as something better comes along--about every four months.

tron3

Banned
Allnew2me said:
...I have several normal flashlights but now that I am a convert I have to ask, what would be the reason to have another one of these?

...But strictly from a light point of view, what would another light offer that I don't have in this one? ...

Ahh, you have much to learn our new convert friend. We all do. You get another so you and a friend can walk around town in your silver foil suits and fancy flashlights pretending to be from the future. Remember: No tinfoil hat, that's only for TRUE nut jobs.

What does another light offer over that one? Around here, I think it is mostly prestige. :p

Allnew2me

Enlightened
Wow I had no idea I could justify so many more lights, I think my wife really should read this don't you? It never occurred to me that if the batteries were going dead that they could be used in a lower-power flashlight, I like that idea. I did notice the conversion ability of my light but wonder if I would ever change out the heads, I think I would rather have a second or third etc. light than have a lot of parts although that is a good manner in which to save a few bucks.

I am so impressed with this light that the thought of one that throws farther never crossed my mind, I think I need to read more of the specs and see what there is out there.

I tend to lean towards incandescent, I don't know why, maybe I feel like the LED's are still getting better and would rather not buy one that is soon to be outdated.

Big Iron, hotwires, I have no idea what those even are, yet. I'll look at the models you guys have recommended to see if they are what I might be interested in.

As far as brands, what would you guys say are the top 5 as far as quality? I know Surefire and Streamlite but there seems to be so many out there. What should I stay away from? If I am going to buy a tool I want to buy the best one first, it is less expensive that way. Thanks again for all the good words and helpful information.

carrot

Flashaholic
Allnew2me said:
Wow I had no idea I could justify so many more lights, I think my wife really should read this don't you? It never occurred to me that if the batteries were going dead that they could be used in a lower-power flashlight, I like that idea. I did notice the conversion ability of my light but wonder if I would ever change out the heads, I think I would rather have a second or third etc. light than have a lot of parts although that is a good manner in which to save a few bucks.
Yep. General consensus seems to be that the Inova X5 is perfect for that purpose.

I am so impressed with this light that the thought of one that throws farther never crossed my mind, I think I need to read more of the specs and see what there is out there.
In the same form factor the A2 throws further. M3, M3T and up should throw further as well. (I wish I could afford an M3 right now.)

Big Iron, hotwires, I have no idea what those even are, yet. I'll look at the models you guys have recommended to see if they are what I might be interested in.
These are Maglite mods, mostly. More Mag mods you might be interested in -- USL, ROP (Roar of the Pelican), Mag85, Mag11.

As far as brands, what would you guys say are the top 5 as far as quality? I know Surefire and Streamlite but there seems to be so many out there. What should I stay away from? If I am going to buy a tool I want to buy the best one first, it is less expensive that way. Thanks again for all the good words and helpful information.
Surefire, Inova, Streamlight are all good. I keep hearing good things about Peak as well, and Arc, though occasionally controversial, is good as well. Even on the cheap end, there are pretty good lights -- Target's house brand, River Rock, isn't bad, and people say Dorcy makes some nice lights as well, such as the Dorcy Metal Gear. PrincetonTec's rep is solid as well.

Flakey

Enlightened
i find that i need 2 lights. i need somthing that fits in my jeans pocket that is very bright for its size but also has either a dimmer, or a beamshaper on it. and i need/want a light that isnt EDC but i should have it neerby at night. Currently the U2 is my EDC and a mag35 is my big light (1300lumens) but im building a lithium mag100 (2500 lumens). but other than those 2 niches i dont find i have much other need for flashlights. please dont ask me how much $$ ive spent trying to fill the need though, lol!

tron3

Banned
Allnew2me said:

I tend to lean towards incandescent, I don't know why, maybe I feel like the LED's are still getting better and would rather not buy one that is soon to be outdated....

Dude, have you seen the 3w and 5w led's in person? The well built ones give off BLINDING light. Even if they are a 1/4 of what they will be in a few years, they are certainly no slouch.