Severe Weather Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmirag

Enlightened
Here in the Northeast USA, we have a "Heavy Snow Warning" today.

"A HEAVY SNOW WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY."

Note they say "keep an EXTRA flashlight" !!

Is the world finally seeing the light?

W.

Tremendo

Enlightened
I've got about 12 flashlights here in Houston, but it's 70 degrees and a clear sky. I'm thinking of not paying the electric bill so I can get some use out of my lights. :whistle:

Macaw

Enlightened
:lolsign: @ Walt

I'm looking forward to the spring rainy season here in the midwest. I like a good thunderstorm now and then - as long as a tornado doesn't come along and suck me out of my house!
Ya never know when the lights will go out.:naughty:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny how Tuesday the weathermen forcasted today to be sunny and 63, and this morning they changed their minds to "freezing rain in the morning, 50s and raining in the day". Good thing I had nothing to do but work today.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Severe Weather Alert? Last I heard we're supposed to get less than a inch here, and I'm pretty darn Northeast. At least I have about 70 flashlights in the den downstairs. Bring it on! :)

dagger10k

Newly Enlightened
We're not likely to get any of that snow here in California, but I'm prepared with extra flashlights anyway.:whistle:

ATVMan

Newly Enlightened
I live in Western NY over by Lake Erie and weve gotten about 8 inches already and school wasnt even closed and to think my cousins in tenessee get a snow day for half an inch of snow because they cant drive in it lmao i wore a hoodie and jeans to school today without a winter jacket and was warm and you people are cold when it hits 55 degrees out. The thermometer reads 19 out here and i just shoveled in the same hoodie and jeans lol

BlackDecker

Enlightened
ATVMan: it's all in what you're used to. I'm sure you'd think a 85F day in sultry Florida would be unbearable, too.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well ... maybe I'm being a party-pooper here, but I for one, hope you don't encounter an opportunity to test out your emergency food or flashlights and only get to play in such scenarios. Stay safe.

wmirag said:
Here in the Northeast USA, we have a "Heavy Snow Warning" today.

"A HEAVY SNOW WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY."

Note they say "keep an EXTRA flashlight" !!

Is the world finally seeing the light?

W.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure there's more to it than just "what you're used to." There's been many a time when I've left a somewhat chilly San Francisco airport (mid50's) and was perfectly comfortable in shirt sleeves (or even short sleeves) in mid-state NY or in Chicago where it was in the low 30's. And this is just over the short period of whatever it takes to fly there (4-6 hours)

BlackDecker said:
ATVMan: it's all in what you're used to. I'm sure you'd think a 85F day in sultry Florida would be unbearable, too.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone remember when snow just used to be snow? We got about 14" a couple weeks ago. About normal around here, although it was the first big snow we'd gotten all year (and still the only one).

They had nearly 24-hour coverage on the news with reporters and camera crews in half a dozen New England towns giving updates every ten minutes. All day long, preempting all the usual scheduled shows and news programs. It was absurd. Must have cost the channel a fortune to stage the whole thing. I couldn't believe it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I walked out of the house this morning and didn't notice the thin coat of glaze ice on the driveway. Zing!--->SPLAT!! I landed perfectly horizontally. It was like something right out of a Flintstones cartoon.

I don't think an extra light would've helped me there... :laughing:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sensationalism sells news which in turn increases market share of viewers.
News is supported by advertising dollars which is theoretically more effective with a larger market share of viewers.
It's all about the dollars, and the gullibility of the American public.

ABTOMAT said:
Must have cost the channel a fortune to stage the whole thing. I couldn't believe it.

ATVMan

Newly Enlightened
BlackDecker said:

Actually it gets well above 85 in the summer i would say last summer the average would be right around 85

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If the weather guy I listen to on the radio is correct, this is going to be one BAD MOTHER F of a Hurricane season.

It would be just fine with me if none of them come near here, but do have PLENTY of lights around the house and in my truck!

firefly99

Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
If the weather guy I listen to on the radio is correct, this is going to be one BAD MOTHER F of a Hurricane season.

It would be just fine with me if none of them come near here, but do have PLENTY of lights around the house and in my truck!

Much as we love our flashlights, remember to stock food, water, etc. Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.