Probably a simple answer/cold weather help!

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have a malkoff collection, I use my lights specifically for winter weather. This year I bought a md3 and hound dog head for myself, wife uses one with AA lithiums… I used lion and it stopped working in the cold weather (probably about 8 degrees) like completely stopped not a dimming. Is this a trait of lions and if so what the hell is my solution for extreme temps, I'll use my torch for hours ice fishing and hiking in the winter I can't be stranded on a mountain with no light… is it a flash light defect or a trait or lions and again what is my solution ?
May I suggest that you get a headlight with a remote battery?
Where the battery/pack would normally be on the strap at the back of your head, lengthen the battery cable, and carry the battery in a pocket under your coat. Your body heat will keep the battery warm and functioning. Certainly carry spare batteries, and a back up light (just in case you pull the wires from the pack or light).

klip88

Newly Enlightened
May I suggest that you get a headlight with a remote battery?
Where the battery/pack would normally be on the strap at the back of your head, lengthen the battery cable, and carry the battery in a pocket under your coat. Your body heat will keep the battery warm and functioning. Certainly carry spare batteries, and a back up light (just in case you pull the wires from the pack or light).
Thank you for all for the constructive comments, I am going to try several of the mentioned fixes

Poppy

Flashaholic
This thread has some specific recommendations regarding headlights with a remote battery.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stop using a metal body flashlight in cold weather.
Not understanding how a plastic body would make a significant difference solving klip88's issue. As far as hand comfort, not sure how much a difference there either. Wear gloves when it is cold. A powerful flashlight on a higher setting gets warm and can be utilized for hand warmth.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In the same way polymer lights don't allow built up heat to readily escape a warm polymer light will stay warm in the core longer.
Say you have light B inside your jacket keeping warm while using light A until the batteries complain, light B would stay warm inside its body if it were polymer and not metal.

klip88

Newly Enlightened
In the same way polymer lights don't allow built up heat to readily escape a warm polymer light will stay warm in the core longer.
Say you have light B inside your jacket keeping warm while using light A until the batteries complain, light B would stay warm inside its body if it were polymer and not metal.
I have several lights, so I can rotate while hiking, however the headlight with a remote battery case might be helpful as well for over night excursions outside. To the person who said they use a hound dog in single digits and no fussing i don't know what they do but I've used m60 head and hound dog head and high draw= battery fussing. I am outside in single digits and negatives for sometimes hours.. with a 4 year old daughter I'm trying to be safe I do keep extra cells on me all the time but still annoying to change out on trail bundled up with 2 dogs and a kid…. I think maybe the polymer body is worth a shot as well.

3_gun

Enlightened
Quickest but not the cheapest answer is rotate lights OR if it's really cold (near0F) a hand warmer pack wrapped around the light will keep it working to -20F or so. That's as cold as I've ever had to use a light. (inventory in a food freezer for a grocery chain)

klip88

Newly Enlightened
Here you go. Princeton Tec Apex Extreme. Uses 8 AAs. Will work with lithium primaries. Uses a battery pack that can be placed under your jacket for warmth.
https://brightguy.com/product/princeton-tec-apex-extreme/
Thanks man, I appreciate the effort, I have technically run lithium primaries with the metal md3 body I have, I just would need to buy or trade for a lower output drop i like that light even if it's for back up, the other night my md3 went out in -8 weather with my kid, luckily I know my land very well but if I was somewhere I wasn't unfamiliar with I'd be in a kerfuffle

Poppy

Flashaholic
Thanks man, I appreciate the effort, I have technically run lithium primaries with the metal md3 body I have, I just would need to buy or trade for a lower output drop i like that light even if it's for back up, the other night my md3 went out in -8 weather with my kid, luckily I know my land very well but if I was somewhere I wasn't unfamiliar with I'd be in a kerfuffle
Hence the saying that used to be seen around here a lot.
"Two is one, one is none."

Latest posts