Probably a simple answer/cold weather help!

klip88

Newly Enlightened
I have a malkoff collection, I use my lights specifically for winter weather. This year I bought a md3 and hound dog head for myself, wife uses one with AA lithiums… I used lion and it stopped working in the cold weather (probably about 8 degrees) like completely stopped not a dimming. Is this a trait of lions and if so what the hell is my solution for extreme temps, I'll use my torch for hours ice fishing and hiking in the winter I can't be stranded on a mountain with no light… is it a flash light defect or a trait or lions and again what is my solution ?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I put a glove over my flashlight if it has to be out in really cold air. Seriously. Same reason I wear a glove on my hand, to trap heat inside.
That and keep spare cells inside my jacket to stay warm.
2540BFCB-3154-4DBD-898F-1175E9C77C98.jpeg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I don't camp in the Himalayas……but I do remember a thread about extreme cold once and I think the majority just kept spare batteries warm.

This may add some ideas

Last edited:

klip88

Newly Enlightened
I think straight lithium is the only thing you can truly count on. Will the Malkoff take those?
I do have a head for the MD three that doesn't draw quite as much that I can use lithium but the runtime still won't be great… I should probably think about buying a even lower drawing head for the MD three to use for extreme cold situation see if that helps

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't NiteCore specifically sell an 18650 battery for cold weather? Seems like it is a rebrand according to a member here. Primary lithium are known for cold weather tolerance, as has been written here.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore does sell cold weather rated 18650s (2900 and 3500 mAh) and 21700s (4200 mAh). So does Klarus (18650 2900 mAh). If you need unprotected cells go with Molicell M35A for 18650 or Molicell P42A for 21700. Those are the best cold rated cells available and likely what Nitecore uses. People that go to the Himalayas usually bring lithium AA and AAA primaries or get a headlight with a battery pack attached to a long wire that they can keep under a jacket to keep warm.

nbp

Flashaholic
This has happened to me too. I have also found that sometimes starting the light on a lower level will get the power flowing and warm the cell up enough to activate a higher level after a bit. Keeping the light in a pocket or warmer place helps too. But yes, lithium primaries are the best option for very cold temps.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime on 2x 18500 vs 3xcr123a wont be that much greater (2000mAh vs 1600) + primaries will give you a long gradual taper while protected cells will suddenly shut off once the protection circuit kicks in. Otherwise keep batts & torch close to the body until needed, the body heat will keep it above ambient & once its been running for a bit it wont a problem anymore.

klip88

Newly Enlightened
Runtime on 2x 18500 vs 3xcr123a wont be that much greater (2000mAh vs 1600) + primaries will give you a long gradual taper while protected cells will suddenly shut off once the protection circuit kicks in. Otherwise keep batts & torch close to the body until needed, the body heat will keep it above ambient & once its been running for a bit it wont a problem anymore.
I have two protected 18 500s in there maybe I should get some unprotected cells?

klip88

Newly Enlightened
I've noticed on low draw modes it'll last along longer, mittens for my torches do nothing in this weather, only having in on an interior pocket (under my overalls) for a while fixes this… my primary lights handle this better I wish there was a torch for cold weather but it seems no one has any additional advice which just means the tech isn't meant for cold weather which is exactly when I use torches ughhh (I edc a small one year round but my expensive ones are sort of bricks now for a month or two a year)

fulee9999

Enlightened
I wish there was a torch for cold weather

the SureFire G2X and the Inforce TFx have polymer bodies which transfer heat a lot less than alu/steel body lights, which means that
1, you can't you use high output drop-ins, because it would melt, as little to none heat is transfered to the outside
2, you can use it in colder weather because the light itself doesn't become that cold as a metal one

and as everyone else previously mentioned, use lithium primaries or keep a few li-ions in your pocket for warmth

klip88

Newly Enlightened
the SureFire G2X and the Inforce TFx have polymer bodies which transfer heat a lot less than alu/steel body lights, which means that
1, you can't you use high output drop-ins, because it would melt, as little to none heat is transfered to the outside
2, you can use it in colder weather because the light itself doesn't become that cold as a metal one

and as everyone else previously mentioned, use lithium primaries or keep a few li-ions in your pocket for warmth
Stop using a metal body flashlight in cold weather.
I honestly didn't even think of metal vs plastic for application… having a kid kills any critical thinking skills I'll tey the brand mentioned see if it has tangible effects

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If they were protected cells this is normal for it to cut out like that. I have been using my Hound dog for past few weeks and it been in the single digits all along with no problems. Sounds like your cells were just dead.

klip88

Newly Enlightened
If they were protected cells this is normal for it to cut out like that. I have been using my Hound dog for past few weeks and it been in the single digits all along with no problems. Sounds like your cells were just dead.
Cells def not dead I have like 18 lions all rotated I think a plastic body might be needed

Latest posts