What's the best thing about being a CPF Flashaholic here in the UK

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It gets darker here 5 hours before all you CPF'ers in the US, so we get to try out our newly delivered torches, and also try out hints, tips and suggestions made by the rest of you, before you do !!

Unless of course, you do this at night, and we then have to wait longer than you do, unless you are an insomniac, as I am, especially now I've discovered CPF and torches....

Damn you !!

photovoltaic

Newly Enlightened
Hi abvidledUK,
Probably another good thing is that you can pick up your Surefires at a fairly good price after you convert over to Sterling. Wow, a brand new U2 for 160 quid.
Hey, I've got some family living in England - Ealing. We were just over to visit last year. Had a great time touring around.

metalhed

Enlightened
Hmmm....I would think that the best thing about being a CPF'er in England would be the ocean's width between you and the nation of folks that don't know what a 'torch' is.

:laughing:

tron3

Banned
There's a new invention here in America to test flashlights. Called a "dark room". :ironic:

:p Seriously though, must be nice. Spring is coming, and there is already too much light for me to use my L0P to take out the trash.
:awman:

quokked

Enlightened
English pounds is the best think about being a flashaholic in the UK
ooo and Orb is based out this way too, not looking forward to ordering stuff from overseas using Australian Dollars again.

:broke:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes aproxx $1.7 us dollars to the english pound, fantastic if you import from the US and can get cheap postage and packing, and the seller will declare the value less than $30.

the problem with buying from UK sellers is that at $99 dollar charger in the us costs £99 in the uk.

I think were being ripped of somehow.

regards.

chrwe

Newly Enlightened
tron3 said:
I think Radio Shack owns that patent. Also referred to as their stock room. :laughing:

Theorem: Decision makers at Radio Shack are flashaholics.

Proof:
-For all non-flashaholics holds: They do not need a dark room.
-By assumption all non-flashaholics and all flashaholics exhibit rational behaviour (yah, sure:lolsign:).
-Therefore non-flashaholics wouldn't maintain a dark room.
-Radio Shack's stock rooms are dark rooms.
-Having stock rooms is a decision of Radio Shack's decision makers.
->Welcome to CPF all you Radio Shack executives! qed

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
abvidledUK said:
It gets darker here 5 hours before all you CPF'ers in the US, so we get to try out our newly delivered torches, and also try out hints, tips and suggestions made by the rest of you, before you do !!

Unless of course, you do this at night, and we then have to wait longer than you do, unless you are an insomniac, as I am, especially now I've discovered CPF and torches....

Damn you !!

I have my "Golston" 50 Watt Luxeon in my hand. So I don't need to wait until dark to test it.

Boy, the size of the batteries! its killing my back!!!!

dcarcyh8:touche:

d123

Newly Enlightened
TinderBox (UK) said:
yes aproxx $1.7 us dollars to the english pound, fantastic if you import from the US and can get cheap postage and packing, and the seller will declare the value less than $30.

the problem with buying from UK sellers is that at $99 dollar charger in the us costs £99 in the uk.

regards.

Most electrical items seem to be like that, compare Surefire prices at www.heinnie.com and the £ price seems to be very similar to the $ price in the US.

Dave

AlanH

Enlightened
What's the best thing about being a CPF Flashaholic here in the UK ?

In no particular order:
Buying at the great exchange rate

Meeting, interacting and dealing with a myriad of people from abroad, whose ideas, mods and thoughts are different to ours. I have dealt with some awesome people here on CPF, who have helped, bought and sold, shipped and accepted orders for me and given me the guidance and help I needed to avoid ending yup with a bunch of junk.

Having the boards use our native tongue !

This is one incredible place to be, I feel priveleged and I do get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I am here. Way to go CPF

On another subject, maybe it's about time we organised a UK flashaholics get together, I'm happy to organise it. Someplace that has very little or no light pollution...My wardrobe for instance !

I'm sure there are some great lights here, judging by the amount of UK based B/S/T activity.

Alan

GlowGadgets

Newly Enlightened
TinderBox (UK) said:

regards.

Your'e right, it's great when we can find the sellers who will ship to us in the UK. But a total bummer when they forget to put the value at less, instead write the full value plus some (for Insurance) then ParcelForce come knocking on my door wanting £28 for me to take the package.... Arh, dammit.

As for UK prices, well we are being ripped off.
By having to Pay Shipping charges, Import Duty, Tax etc... It really does knock the prices up for all retailers.

What sucks is that some of the "Importers" are getting the products at a great price (think BULK) , even after Taxes etc.. and still sell them to retailers like me, for more than they would cost direct.

The end result is, low margins for the Retailer and High Costs for the Consumer.

Hang on, I'm just off to get me Violin...

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll need a big wardrobe AlanH !

I think one of the good things about being a UK bound Flashaholic is when we take our lights out and about, we can pretty much ensure that anyone we meet on night time walks, hikes, fireworks parties, Halloween parties, camping, even holding torches up at concerts ( Live 8 at hyde park - Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb ? - you had to be there!), we will out dazzle or outshine or outengineer anybody else. They will be standing there looking at their minimags and energizer dimlights and wondering how they ever thought that adequate!!

And then we refer them to CPF and associated sellers,review sights...

Because it's not polite to gloat...too much!

Flashaholics expand exponentially ...:devil:

Size15's

Flashaholic
UK gettogether sounds like a great idea!

If somebody starts a thread for that in the gettogether forum please let me know!

Al