If You Could Have Only 1 LED Surefire

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd take a U2 for sure. It's just so versatile. Very bright. 6 levels. Good form factor for a 2 cell. Well made (QC issues aside). What more can you ask for?

WP

carrot

Flashaholic
I'd take a K2 Kroma. Nice and versatile; if I were to only have one Surefire LED, this would be the one, because it's Surefire's most unique LED light.

Tremendo

Enlightened
U2. It's the only Surefire LED I have bought, it does a little of everything. Although the E2L looks pretty sweet and is less than half the price.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Devil's advocate:

What do you need to use it for?:devil:

I could sti here and list all SF LED lights, but what good would it be to recommend the E2L when you don't want a spot beam? :thinking:

If you state your applications, there's more likelyhood of getting a good recommendation. If you just want a SF LED for the hay of it: get whichever looks prettier.

ront

Newly Enlightened
Hi greenLED, we have talked before. I own an L4 and I really do like it for flood. I want a good all around light. I want one with more throw but still a good amount of spill. At first I thought I would just get the KL1 head, but after reading more and seeing beam shots, I think it has good throw, but next to no spill. I am close to buying an L5, as I think(?) it offers a pretty good balance between throw/spill. It may be a bit large for carrying in my pocket though and it is pretty spendy. I am so new to this,and have so much to learn. I do want to get something with more throw though. I was going to trade in the L4, but the more I have used it, I think that would be a big mistake. It is a pretty great little light. Maybe I already have all that I need and I don't know it.

Thanks for listening and your opinions, Ron

I should also say that I am somewhat interested in the CPF forum LE light. It looks interesing. I am not quite sure what to think of the power level switch. Seems like there may be alot of switch pusing to get a desired intensity.

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
yikes! thats a tuff question...

my pick would be between the U2 or a Two stage TW4 or 2x123 body

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1, at least the old style. The new style L1's may need a beam shaper to be useful close-up. My early L1 and a bright incan with some throw will suffice for about 98% of the situations I'd ever need a light for.

-Keith

greenLED

Flashaholic
ront said:
I want a good all around light. I want one with more throw but still a good amount of spill. ... I am close to buying an L5, as I think(?) it offers a pretty good balance between throw/spill. It may be a bit large for carrying in my pocket though and it is pretty spendy.

Hi Ront! The L5 would be a nice choice, although I don't know how much spill it has. (Yeah, the KL1's spill is pretty pathetic, although still useful while indoors). However, you're "stuck" with just one power level with the L5. If that's OK with you, go for it. However, I'd consider the U2. The reflector is deep enough that the throw is very decent (for a LuxV - comparable to a "regular" LuxIII setup, IMO), and the different power levels make it a very versatile light.

:thinking: Pocket-carry, heh? I've carried my U2 clipped to my pockets (jeans and khakis); I don't think it's too big for that. I have no experience with the L5, but it'd seem that the bigger head might present a problem. Does it even come with a clip? I know those are primarily designed for LE use so if you're going to keep it on your belt, my point about pocket carry is moot. Another advantage of the U2 is the regulation. :) The L5 has the flat sides and the rubber ring for firearms grip.