questions on replacing luxeon emitter.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone changed the emitter on a luxeon star, is it.

1: held on with thermal epoxy or just thermal pasted and held in place by the soldered power connectors.

2: does it have to be electrically isolated from the star.

3: was it hard to remove the original emitter.

thanks for the help.

Fletch

Newly Enlightened
hmm - while I have never exchanged the emitters from a star, I have pulled emitters off of the star before. It is pretty simple, but you ruin the star doing it. Use a toothpick or something else small to gently lift on the emitter leads while heating the solder. They come right up. Then, use some large pliers to slightly bend the star. The emitter will pop right off.

There are some good descriptive threads on the process, just use the search tool and you'll find some... Good luck - sorry I didn't answer your question, but that's the best answer I have.

thezman

Enlightened
TinderBox (UK) said:
anyone changed the emitter on a luxeon star, is it.

1: held on with thermal epoxy or just thermal pasted and held in place by the soldered power connectors.

2: does it have to be electrically isolated from the star.

3: was it hard to remove the original emitter.

thanks for the help.

1. Held in place by the soldered connectors and most are glued on with thermal epoxy.

2. Lux I and III's do not, IIRC

3. I pry and scrape underneath them with a thin sharp knife blade, like an EX-Acto knife. Extreme care must be used, as it is possible to pop the dome off of the slug. I have lost an emitter or two using this method. The method described above, bending the star, is much safer.