KL1, another question again

simbad

Enlightened
Can someone explain me if all the newest KL1 heads are coming with a 3w emitter (25 lumens) or there is any "first batch" of the same 2nd gen (last one)with a 1w emitter (17 lumens)?

1st gen. (ringed head): 1W, NX05 optic, 17 lumens.
2nd gen. (scalloped head KL4 type): 1W, TIR optic, 17 lumens. does this exist?
2nd gen. (scalloped head KL4 type): 3w, TIR optic, 25 lumens.

Is that correct?
rolleye11.gif

Last edited:

mykall

Enlightened
I think that the older models have been phased out, unless some
retailer has a few sitting on a shelf somewhere.

In the E1L, and compared to several other lights, I'd say that the
25 lumen rating is VERY conservative.

MB

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think real lumen rating is closer to 36 lumens, and this can depend on the individual flux of the led. I base my estimate on many, many bounce tests with different lights, some with known lumen output.

Bill

vtunderground

Enlightened
As far as I understand it (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), here are the generational differences in the KL1:

1st gen: smooth bezel, finned head, low-dome Lux-I, NX05 optic

2nd gen: scalloped bezel, finned head, low-dome Lux-I, NX05 optic

3rd gen: scalloped bezel, finned head, high-dome Lux-I (later ones had Lux-III's?), NX05 optic

4th gen: KL4-style head, Lux-III, TIR optic, probably driven harder than previous generations

To answer your question, all of the newest (4th) generation KL1's have the Lux-III emitter.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Yes vtunderground is correct although I don't think there has ever been a 3rd gen with Lux III, but I may be wrong.

If im not mistaken the 4th gen is driven at 490 mA while all the earlier generations were driven at 350 mA.

Jan

Size15's

Flashaholic
I find it easier to refer the old style and current style.

The old style KL1 went through a number of changes including the last production run featuring LuxeonI instead of LuxeonIII (no change to electronics though)

The current style KL1 has always featured a LuxeonIII.

Al :)

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:
I find it easier to refer the old style and current style.

The old style KL1 went through a number of changes including the last production run featuring LuxeonI instead of LuxeonIII (no change to electronics though)

The current style KL1 has always featured a LuxeonIII.

Al :)

Is the current style driven at the same level as the old style? I notice the runtime is reduced to 3 hours high output vs 4 hours on the old style. I may have to pick up one of the new ones.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:
I believe they current KL1 is driven a bit harder than the old style. I've no details to hand though.

Thanks, I just ordered one to confirm :D

JanCPF

Enlightened
JanCPF said:
If im not mistaken the 4th gen is driven at 490 mA while all the earlier generations were driven at 350 mA.
Hey guys - What am I, chopped liver?

Okay it would be nice have this confirmed by CM the master modder himself :bow: :D

Jan

moonbeam

Newly Enlightened
I got the KL1 on the E2L, my EDC, awesome throw! No tactical, no BEAST but it does the job

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
JanCPF said:
Hey guys - What am I, chopped liver?

Okay it would be nice have this confirmed by CM the master modder himself :bow: :D

Jan

Jan, you're certainly not chopped liver. I just missed your post (I'm guilty of not reading further back sometimes). Anyhow, after a quick calc, the 490mA number seems to be right about on for the 25% reduction in runtime. I guess I could have saved myself the cost of a KL1 but what the heck, it's a good excuse to buy another Surefire :broke:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I meant no disrespect to JanCPF - I don't have details to hand from SureFire to confirm the values given. It does appear reasonable though! :)

JanCPF

Enlightened
No worries. Actually that remark about chopped liver was just me trying to be funny. I really have no data to back up my amp. numbers other than I seem to remember reading it here on CPF some time ago. :). CM: please do confirm the current draw when/if ever you get the chance.
Jan

simbad

Enlightened
Now I have everything clarified, I've just ordered one :grin2: . I will post some comments this week when I have received it.
Thanks again for the help.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just took apart the latest KL1 and the LED is driven 1.47 times harder. So if it was driven at 350mA, it is now driven at 510mA. I'm gonna boost this to about 860mA and see how I like it...