[SureFire A2] Handiest tool at the movies

Arkayne

Enlightened
I've decided that I'll never go to the movies w/o my red A2 again.

Whenever I go with a group, I usually end up being the seat-holder. That means that my party goes to the concession stand while I go to the theater to reserve our seats.

Before I had the A2, I would have to wave my arms and make noises to get their attention when I see them enter the theater. It's usually dark by then so I'm pretty much disturbing everyone around me. How embarrassing. :( Now, I just give my red LED's a quick flicker and my positition is instantly acquired.

How handy my lil' A2 is. Does anyone else use their light at the movies?

bexteck

Enlightened
Thought about using it the same way you described, but I was only carrying an E2E at the time. I didn't want to blind anyone, so I decided against usinging it to signal my friends.

Arkayne

Enlightened
bexteck said:
Thought about using it the same way you described, but I was only carrying an E2E at the time. I didn't want to blind anyone, so I decided against usinging it to signal my friends.

I wouldn't do it with the incan because that would probably **** off the people more than my spastic waving. lol

I think that any other color led would be just as effective.

Razor

Newly Enlightened
Using red led's is a good choice; red light goes easy on night adapted vision, both for you, your friends, and everyone else around.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
bexteck said:
I didn't want to blind anyone...
Cover the lens with your fingers and shine the light through them. Your glowing red fingers ought to get their attention without annoying too many people. (or palm, depending on how bright your light is)

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did the same at a night parade to signal the woman as to where baby and I were. But it was a G2 and I was flashing at her since we were outdoors at night. Once I saw her looking at us, I gave a few periodic flashes onto the pavement for her to keep her orientation on us.

For the theatre, you could hold the light a few inches from your chest and "flash" yourself to get attention and not disturb others. Or shoot straight up in the air if you're not shy.
I use the "fingers" trick a home to keep from blinding/awakening those asleep when looking/passing thru occupied rooms.

Last edited:

AA89GTA

Newly Enlightened
I went to the movie theatre with my girlfriend a couple days ago. The theatre was quite empty; we were the first people in there and we sat all the way at the top. Another couple came in and sat 2 rows ahead of us. The lights went down and the movie started. At the same time a guy and his little boy come into the theatre and start walking down the row about 5 down from me. Then, the film suddenly stops and the screen goes black.

Now it is nice and dark in theatre. With my dark-adjusted eyes, I can just see the man and the kid standing still, as if they were suddenly lost. Of course their eyes weren't dark adjusted yet, and I could tell they did not want to move for fear of tripping over something left in the walkway. So being the good semaritan that I am, I took out my Arc-P and shined it down their way. They both turned around, no doubt perplexed as to why someone in the theatre has a flashlight on them, and stared at the light for a moment. The guy said, "Thanks" and I left the light on until they walked a bit further down the aisle and found a pair of seats.

I was very tempted to blast them with my SF C3 while the lights were down, but didn't want to be a ******* and blind them. Anyway, the theatre people got the film back on in a minute or two and it was on with the show!!

--Aaron

Flakey

Enlightened
very similar experiances with my U2 on low gosh works absolutely great!

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
I generally use my Cyclops 15 Million CP or trusty Mag85 for theatre signaling. So far, highly effective.

Bonus: keeps the popcorn warm!

Bonus 2: comfortably frees up the surrounding seats by encouraging a mass exodus from the section housing "that crazy guy with the blinding lights." I have NO problem stretching my legs out after that.

Bonus 3: Based on #2, provides me with 2 minutes of blissful and uninterrupted movie time. Unfortunately, my movie-going experience is consistently ruined shortly thereafter by the kind folks who come with badges and guns and ask (tell?) me to leave.

<sigh> Life's hard for us flashaholics.

- FITP

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA89GTA said:
I was very tempted to blast them with my SF C3 while the lights were down..

We may finally have a solution to the idiots who won't stop yapping LOUDLY on their cell phones or to their friends while the movie is in progress.

Put a fat Surefire Turbohead on the C3 and that way you'll be able to deliver the punishment where it counts without disturbing others around them ;)