Don't use magnets with li-ion cells! Dead-short danger!

cy

Flashaholic
Don't use magnets with li-ion cells! Dead-short danger!

I've been seeing an alarming number of posts talking about using magnets with flat top li-ion cells to make contact.
add dab of solder to circuit board to solve contact issues. don't solder to li-ion cell, unless you really know what you are doing.

Don't use magnets with li-ion cells! extreme danger of creating a dead-short!

side impact will cause magnet to shift and possibly bridge to ground causing a dead short. a very bad thing to do with a li-ion cell. this could lead to venting with flames!

here's pic showing magnet shifting with polaris' battery carrier. second pic show damage to NMH cell.

only using these shots to illustrate magnet dead-shorting. if this had been a li-ion grounding out, results might have been different.

this warning also goes for Firefly 1 & 2 and CNC 123 owners using li-ion cells. sandwich is held in with metal circlip, which could dead-short to R123 with wider nipple. remove circlip and use Oring to secure sammie.

polaris 3.JPG

polaris 5.JPG

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Li-ion w/magnets in a couple of lights. I don't, however, use those tiny ones, The ones I use are nearly the full diameter of the batteries (18650, 17670). I always put them on the bottom of the battery which touches the spring. Even if the light bangs against something, the magnet is still going to be mostly centered and isn't going anywhere. I'm using the magnets with FM Stinger adapters. I don't know, but I don't see any problems coming my way.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I wonder if AW knows about this. I have been using one on the inside + end of my L2 with his single protected 14670 Li-Ion cell for about a month to make better contact with spring.

a99raptors

Enlightened
I am currently running a 18650 with a magent on the positive end in my U2. The magnet does shift sometime expecially after drops. So far no explosions, but .....

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I was thinking of using Gorilla Glue or a ring of hot glue (gun) to make protective raised edges on 2-3 sides, that was my first idea also.

AW

Newly Enlightened
LuxLuthor said:
I wonder if AW knows about this. I have been using one on the inside + end of my L2 with his single protected 14670 Li-Ion cell for about a month to make better contact with spring.

Protected LiIon cells are protected from short-circuit including the scenario described above. However, I still recommend to use something like epoxy to hold the magnet in position.

AW

Newly Enlightened
I guess the 18650 protection circuit saved you from a potential disaster :huh: . Please secure that magnet you are using.

legtu

Enlightened
Aside from the shorting risk, placing a magnet near a circuit with an inductor is also not a good idea... ;)

cy

Flashaholic
you can also use an oring to surround positive nipple. that will limit magnet's travel.

but why don't you simply aply a dab of solder to circuit board and be done? and/or get rid of offending cell? find another brand that will work properly without mods.

protection device is there for catasprophic failure. why temp fate by depending on ciruit to work repeatly?

get RID of those magnets!

Cypher

Enlightened
I use 17500s in my TL-3 with a magnet but I use the magnet between the cells and not at the positive contact(bulb end, circuit board end, whatever). Does using the magnet in this way pose the same risks?

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:) , YES......Cypher ......It does pose the exact same risk .

It can make contact with the metal walls of the batt. tube - shorting the positive batt. terminal directly to common ground(the body of the light)-- which is then a direct short between the + and - batt. terminals of an individual cell .

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Good point cy!

I stopped using the magnet on some of my cells since I noted that the magnet did more and the light went off. Luckily there was no short, but that was scary enough for me not to try with high capacity LiIon cells ;)

Will

Rudi

Enlightened
Why not just cut a suitably sized doughnut out of thin cardboard or thick paper and surround the magnet with it?

cy

Flashaholic
Rudi said:
Why not just cut a suitably sized doughnut out of thin cardboard or thick paper and surround the magnet with it?
that would certainly work, much better to use an Oring that surounds magnet.

but why??? .... it's so easy to aply a dab of solder to circuit board and you are done! or if you don't solder, simply change brands of batteries.

no more worries about if spacer is aligned up correctly? is it worth the risk of dead-shorting a li-ion cell over such a simple fix?

Last edited: