Luxeon emitter and star questions

bexteck

Enlightened
This information may have been posted previously, so forgive me if it has, but I have some K2 emitters and Luxeon I stars on the way and want to make sure that I know what to do and not do so I don't kill any of them. I will list what I believe to be true, and any questions I have, if you have any corrections, hints, tips or anything else, please share. Thanks.

1. Bottoms of emitters are not electrically neutral and must be electrically isolated from cathode and annode connections but thermally connected to a heatsink. What is the best way to do this, will heat sink compound work for the thermal connection if the heatsink is not one of the conductors?

2. Stars are thermally connected to emitters but not electrically connected, so they can be screwed to a heatsink that is not electrically neutral.

3. Lux I's are rated for around 350mA at 3.9V, I belive I have heard of people running them at 700mA, is this safe to do as long as they are heatsinked?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not an expert by far (and still really a newbie), but I'll help with what I know...

1. True the heatsink slug is not electrically neutral (connected to anode and cathode via ESD protection zener diodes). However, many people have the slug connected to the cathode (often times, people mount the slug to a heatsink which is then attached (screwed, or other means) to the body which is used as the negative path) without any problems. People have stated keeping the slug isolated is not required unless you're running multiple Luxs in series.

2. On Stars, the Emitter is connected to a "star" shaped (sort of) PCB via soldered terminals. The PCB is attached to a metal (aluminum?) heatsink of the same shape. The slug of the Emitter is also attached (epoxied) to the aluminum heatsink via a hole in the center of the PCB. The thermal conduction happens between the slug and the heatsink and the PCB and the heatsink. The PCB (FR4) provides electrical isolation of the terminals from the heatsink.

3. Lux1s are spec'd at 350mA. VF at 350mA depends on the bin (H, J, K, L, M, etc.). I believe the max IF spec is 700mA for Lux1s. Lux3s are spec'd at 700mA and can be driven to 1A. Overdriving any Lux can be done as long as there is proper heatsinking. Theorectically, you can drive the Luxs even higher than their "max" IF spec if you're able to keep the junction temp below Tj(max) (by whatever means, such as artifical cooling).

HTH.