Run time: 6 months and still going

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the beginning of December 2005, I replaced the single red LED in a cheap headlamp with a white one. I took the red LED and bent the leads so it would attach directly to a 357 button cell I had laying around. I know the button cell was used, but not sure how much. Although it was pretty dim, but I was thinking that if it had a decent runtime it might make a good indicator light to locate a flashlight or the battery storage box in the pitch black of a blackout. After a couple of days, I noted the date and approximate time (12/2/05 @ 0000)I started it on a post-it so I wouldn't forget. It's been sitting here under the monitor ever since, still glowing dimly. Maybe a little dimmer than the start but it's tough to remember. Still plenty for an indicator light. I wonder how long it will last?

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Re: Run time: almost 4 months and still going

Wow DS! Now I'm curious when it will no longer be lit. . .

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast

I figure when I can't see the red glow in my den's normal partially curtained daylight from my normal web surfing position, about 3 feet, I'll call it dead.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a stream like 3 stylus. Its a single led light that takes 3 aaaa batteries. Anyway its on my old wheelchair and I took that for a spin to the laundry matt a few miles down the road. The light has crust on it near the top, I knew that was not a good sign. It was on and nearly impossible to unscrew. I am guessings its been on at the most a year. I did not expect a white led to still be lit like that. Red ones take next to no power to make them run.

Taylorf

Enlightened

4 months!!!! Thats awesome. Sometimes I let my orb raw run on low stage for several days, even thought its not good for the battery.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast

DonShock said:
Now up to SIX MONTHS ! Still chugging along.

haha! Are you serious? Dang... that's pretty impressive and amazing at that.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's amazing!!

Too bad you didn't take a long exposure photo at the start and note all camera settings so an identically set-up photo could be taken on a monthly basis. Then we could see the difference over time.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
6 MONTHS!!! :lolsign: Talk about runtime! I thought my CMG Infinity ran forever, and it is only been tested for around 125 hours or so.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
It reminds me of my PALights I bought in October last year, I purchased a couple one I use all the time and the other as a spare, the spare is still on
the original battery it came with (carbon zinc 9 volt) the light has an always on mode that cannot be swithed off, I quite often look in the draw where it is kept
and it still is going strong, this mode is bright enough to be able to locate the Flashlight in the dark and makes a good night light