Surefire L2 vs. L4 w/ 2stage tail

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
How would an L4 modded with a 2 stage tailcap compare to an L2? I like the smaller form of the L4, and the ability to swap resistors to change the lower brightness level depending on my needs. However, I assume that the L4 on low would be unregulated since it is just a resistor? Thanks in advance for the help

Dan

dmz

Enlightened
L4 modded with a 2 stage tailcap is a twisty. It will no longer click on/off. You can click for high beam.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi Dan,

You are correct in your comments.

I opted for the L4 with a 22 ohm Two Stage switch, mainly due to size. Plus I like that the L4 will run on my Pila Rechargeable system.

Regards,
John

rafael

Newly Enlightened
DanMan4142 said:
How would an L4 modded with a 2 stage tailcap compare to an L2? I like the smaller form of the L4, and the ability to swap resistors to change the lower brightness level depending on my needs. However, I assume that the L4 on low would be unregulated since it is just a resistor? Thanks in advance for the help

Dan

Newbi here. Which tailcap do you use? I checked the ones on SF's site and none of them say they fit the L4.

SRacer2000

Newly Enlightened
It's McGizmo two stage tail-cap. Check out the McGizmo forum for more info. I have an L4 with a 22 ohm two stage and a L2. Let's just say the L2 feels very very lonly and bored.

blgoode

Newly Enlightened
I also have a 22ohm 2 stage cam L4 and an L2. The L2 is a tad brighter but thats just the nature of that light compared to the L4's
With that said..............I am giving my L2 to my son for his birthday.

There both nice but I liek the smaller L4 and an HDS for low levels :)

rafael

Newly Enlightened
SRacer2000 said:
It's McGizmo two stage tail-cap. Check out the McGizmo forum for more info. I have an L4 with a 22 ohm two stage and a L2. Let's just say the L2 feels very very lonly and bored.

Can you use any of them pictured? Does it take any modification or do you just switch them? How does the low level compare to the low on the L2 in terms of brightness (@15 lumens) and run time (@18 hours)? Thanks in advance.

SRacer2000

Newly Enlightened
All of the McGizmo Aleph Series tail-caps fit the L4 and other E-Series SF lights

You can do it two ways, Order the internals and install it into your Z57 tail-cap or Order a full new Aleph Series tail-cap. (I did the full tail-cap)

To my eyes the 22 ohm level is about the same as the low level on the L2, run time, I dunno?

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the help guys, I appreciate it. Im still doing some looking around before I decide what I want to do but i'll let you know

dmz

Enlightened
OpticalSerenity, how did the L4 with McE2S two stage switch compare to the L2 switch?

dmz

Enlightened
I've read that the L4 modded with a 2 stage tailcap has a problem: the button is too stiff to go from low to high. It's a twisty to go to low and high but you can click for momentary hi when you're in low. The problem is the too stiff Z52/Z57 rubber boot. Is there a replacement less stiff rubber boot you can buy?