Help for aviation maintenance flashlight..

montexristos

Newly Enlightened
Hello to everyone!I have been browsing through topics here in this forum for quite a while,and I wanted to ask you a question..I am an aircraft engineer,I work on Boeing 737s,and I was always looking for a decent flashlight,it is essential for our work..First I had a couple of maglite 3D`s for 6 years.After I got sick of the stupid yellowish light they project,and the bulbs failing all the time,I had a nuwai TM-801X3 led flashlight from Amondo Tech which lasted only 10 months :thumbsdow..I still search for a flashlight,not a giant lantern,something that uses a led(which lasts many years),is brighter(or very brighter..:awman:) than a maglite 3D so I can do easy and relaxed walk-around aircraft inspections,uses strictly 2,3,or maximum 4 "D" size batteries or be a rechargeable flashlight,can be used for more than 8 hrs contineously for maintenance tasks,and can handle some abuse..I am thinking about getting two of the new K2 led bulbs from Diamond and get them to work on a 3D maglite that I still have(and serviced in the local mag dealer 3 times..)..So,dear friends and fellow aviation engineers if present here,what is your opinions and comments?I would appreciate it..:)

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome Montexristos!

The drop-in Diamond LED such as the DB-3W is a good choice for the Maglites that you've mentioned. There is also going to be the newer Maglites with LEDs that'll be coming to the market any day now.

You can try the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon or even the Fenix series that the members here talk about. There are lots of information and lights available.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

dixemon

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF.

I am also in the aviation industry and work with rotorcraft. I use several different lights for work but mostly compact units that I can wear in a sheath. I use the Inova T1 ( Ive dropped it off the plane probably 20 times, this is possibly the most durable light Ive ever owned, approx 35-40 lumens) I also use the pelican M6. (not as durable as the Inova T series but none the less bright enough) and I sometimes use my Inova XO3 witch is also a nice durable and bright product. From a mechanic standpoint the T1 is absolutely the best all around light that I have found for form factor, design and durability. However, you are searching for something to light up the rudder of a 767 you will probably need something a little more powerful. I purchased the DB-3W for a couple of my mags and have not had any problems. The light produced has great output to battery life, and I can say you will have no problem with looking at whatever needs to be illuminated. I use 3c's in my 2D mag which works alot better that just 2D's.

Check out flashlightreviews.com they have all the good info that your probably seeking for particular flashlights.

Im sure some of the pro's will chime in with some of their favorites. So sit back and enjoy the input, you've come to the right place

RoyJ

Enlightened
Hmm, strictly 2, 3, or 4D size, has to be brighter than 3D Mag, and has to last 8 hours. That's tough indeed.

Was going to mention Dorcy 3D 1W, but it's but much brighter than a 3D (but probably twice as bright over the life of the Mag batteries). The Diamond 3W is another option. Don't waste money on the battery sucking K2 just yet. It's not much brighter (if any) than the LuxIII on unregulated alkalines.

RoyJ

Enlightened
montexristos said:
Thank u all,guys!I will get the K2 bulbs,and let`s hope they worth something..

I wouldn't get it unless I see a runtime plot, check out the one for their 3W version:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/diamond_magbulbs3w.htm

It runs @ 50% output for the entire time. Which makes their 42 overall output rating a 21.

The PP 3c mentioned above have an output of 27, but maintains almost 100% of that (probably does with ni-mh).

The 6.5W K2 won't be pretty on 3D alkalines at all - that's nearly 1.5A of current draw from a D-cell. Most the time you might only get 30 - 40% of the claimed output.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a Line Mechanic for a Commuter Airlines. I use rechargeable's in my lights.

I use a Streamlight Propolymer 4AA 1 Watt Luxeon (Top)

ElektroLumens Tri-Star Phazer (Middle)

Dorcy 1 Watt CR123 (Bottom)

dsc02097small2ig.jpg

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Craftsman 18 Volt rechargeable light that came with my 18 Volt Cordless Drill.

Also a 3 Watt Luxeon Headlamp modded by Lite Mania.

My backup light is a Maglite 3C with a Diamond DB-3W drop in.

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened
I'm also an A&P mechanic, but I found the SL Propoly to be too bright for up close stuff. I really love the runtime (I use NiMh rechargables), size, and ability to use inexpensive batts. I just wish the beam was not so concentrated in a spot. If this light had more of a flood-pattern beam, I think it would be perfect. I guess a clip would be nice too.