Fenix L1P - Dead after drop

firefly99

Enlightened
I was clearing my pockets and dumping it contents on my table. When the L1P just rolled off the table and dropped to the floor.

After picking it up and trying to switch it on. No light came out, it is dead.
Replacing the battery does not help either.

Now this is suppose to a tough LED based light. What could have went wrong ? Is there anything I can do to fix it ? Please advise. Thanks.

Bonez

Newly Enlightened
I have a sneaking suspicion that you may have broken the switch :awman: . An easy way to check this is to take a metal object, like a penknife blade and touch it to the battery negative and the sides of the metal tube with the rear tailcap off. If the light still lights up, then you broke the switch and have several options. You can either get a new replacement switch, or you can take the switch out and solder a wire around the contacts, rendering the clicky a twisty. I would be suprised if this was the only fall the light took that it was broken, as there was a story on here a while back of a guy who dropped his many stories off of a roof on a job site and it still worked!! Try the knife trick and i'll dig around and see if i can find a thread that describes the mod for the tail cap. It's basically the same as doing the two stage mod, only instead of a resistor, you solder a small piece of wire in place.

Good luck :)

nexro

Enlightened
Is that the L1P v2.0 or v2.5?

I've dropped my v2.0 and it stopped working too, but it wasn't the switch. After removing the circuit board, I found out that the inductor was loose. After a little soldering, it's now working again. As for the v2.5, I suppose you could send it back for repairs or ask for help from some of the modders :)

Hope this helps.

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix seems kinds weird like that-- there's a guy here who dropped his down a freakin' elavator shaft and it still worked, but I drop mine getting outta my truck and it stops working-- and had almost no damage at all to show for! I bought mine from LightHound, who promptly replaced it... I didn't try taking it apart though (it wasn't the switch though).

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't like the sounds of this inconsistency... How are we supposed to judge if it's a reliable light or not if it falls on two extremes of durability?

stockae92

Enlightened
i had mind dropped from table height onto the bathroom flood, still working like it should

but now it has a small dent on the bezel :)

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
I don't like the sounds of this inconsistency... How are we supposed to judge if it's a reliable light or not if it falls on two extremes of durability?
Redundant: see redundant

robk

Enlightened
I wonder how many have been bought, dropped and still work? Mine has scars on both ends, glass never broke, still works perfectly on an L91 lithium. Maybe Fenix should "pot" the electronics to protect the parts from impact-related solder joint or PCB trace failures? You know what I mean if you ever replaced the LED in an ARC AAA or similar.
Just my $.02, I have all three (L0P, L1P, L2P) and tend to abuse them because of their price, only problem I ever had was a switch in an L2P, which is being taken care of by David Chow.

Rob

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Another suggestion. Unscrew tailcap, look inside tailcap, and make sure that tailcap lockings ring is screwed down tight. I had a problem with my switch not turning on my L1P, and a check showed that the locking ring had unscrewed quite a bit. Maybe fall caused it to move more.

Bill

firefly99

Enlightened
4sevens said:
Who did you purchase it from?

Send it to me to check out :D
www.Fenix-Store.com
2566 Shallowford Rd. NE, Ste 104, PMB 178
Atlanta, GA 30345

:)
hi David, Thank you for your offer. I had already send it to the guy who sold me the light.

nexro, it is v2.5

Will revert when I get the light back. Thanks.