Flashlights on Planes

pkennethv

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had problems bringing pocket size flashlights (ie.Surefire A2) on a plane as *handcarry*? What I think they won't allow are the batteries...

stevevh

Enlightened
I work for the airlines and EDC a Mclux III PD which I carry with me on board on a daily basis. I have had no problems at all with TSA. I send it through clipped to my jacket inner pocket. I also recently took my ARC LS on a trip to Africa with me with no probs. If you go to the TSA website they list what you can and cannot carry. Having this list with you will help if you run into a "misinformed" TSA employee.

bexteck

Enlightened
This topic has been discussed here before. I think the consensus is that flashlights and lithium batteries can be carried on board. I think the regulations that lithiums are not allowed on board only applies to commercial shippments.

Lots of people here have successfully carried all sorts of lights including the E2D without any problems. Someone had an interesting experience with an SF SC1 spares carrier, but ultimately was allowed to take it on board.

So, in short you shouldn't have any problems as long as the light is too small to be used as a bat/club.

frisco

Enlightened
I travel both Domestic and International. If it's ever questioned, they just want you to turn it on to see it is actually a flashlight. I usually carry a ARCp AAA clipped to my Passport/ID neck pouch. A Fenix L2P/CR2 in my pocket and a SF E2E in my computer bag. When I go through security, I put all lights and Cell Phone in my computer bag. Soon as I'm in my seat I get set-up with flashlights in normal position. Pull out my iPod and get settled!

frisco

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the restrictions on lithium batteries only reallly apply to commercial shipments. There's no issue with personal use. I mean, hearing aids, cameras, cell phones, and laptops all use lithium batteries too.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience (specifically with the A2), if you leave it in your carry-on and let it go through the scanner, it is the easiest way to get through airport security. If you have it in your pocket, it often gets questioned (though it is never a problem).

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
Never had a problem with the flashlight. the A2 has circuitry that many other flashlights dont have which might raise an eyebrow or two, but the TSA guys would probably be quick to allow it onboard. If they give you too much trouble, just ask to speak with their supervisor. usually they'll just drop it rather than get the higher-ups involved.

I think my 4D mag was more of a concern than my A2. ahhh... the good old days when a mag was all I thought i needed

Somy Nex

Enlightened
I travel around East Asia, but generally have had no problem bringing the Jil Intelli & FF3 in my pockets, and an U2/A2/GL4 in my carry-on bag so far.

in fact, only two incidences come to mind. once i was asked to open up and demonstrate my Pila GL4 by an interested security guy, and the other i was asked to open up and show the batteries in my Mag 4D to make sure it was a working light =P but apart from those two, nothing much. I generally empty my pockets and set the lights with my cellphone & passport, put it in that basket thing, and send it through the x-ray machine along with my bag. i walk through the metal detectors without making a sound and i'm good to go :)

danielo_d

Enlightened
Yes, both domestically and internationally, had no probs travelling with lights in carryon, on person, or in check in.
Nothing big or fancy. Recent trip, I had a RiverRock 2AA, and a coupla Dorcy 1AA modded with a 1/2 Watt 8mm LED and coupla Dorcy 1AAA modded similarly.
Once, they did ask me to turn on the RR, turn it off, take batteries out and then turn on again. ...which was weird but I guess they were checking to see if the batteries were suspicious dummies and the light was modded on some other hidden battery source. [woulda shown up on xray, though, hmmmm]

So I concur with the previous posts, should be no prob...

Good Luck!

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
I hand carried my whole porcupine collection and my Beast in my backpack without any problems, plus many batteries.