Grooved Mini-Mag, cyan style

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
Hey all, this mod is more me putting a bunch of stuff together than it is a real "mod", so to speak.

This mod started with me building my first ever sandwich. I luckily had a lot of help from mod expert trivergata. In the end it ended up being a cyan sandwich, and it looked pretty good for my first sandwich.

The second piece of this puzzle was what light I wanted to host my new Lux III cyan sandwich. After trying it out in a couple of lights, I thought it would look good in my blue grooved Mini-Mag by cmacclel, as far as I know cmacclel only made 3 of his very awesome grooved Mini-Mags in the blue color. The grooved Mini-Mag was always a light I loved, however I never had anything deserving enough to put in it. But now I did!

I popped the sandwich in, fired up the light and it looked good. I liked the overall cyan look, the tint of the beam looked good, and blindingly bright. However, something was still wrong. The beam didn't look very nice overall, it had holes in it, and it was un even. This was something that bother me, at the time I was using nothing but a Stock TL reflector I had laying around. I knew that the problem was in the reflector, not in the LED. So after rummaging through some drawers I decided to try a McR-18 reflector. I put an O-ring around the outside of the reflector in order to minimize shaking while the light was off. It was a tight fit but the bezel screwed all the way down. When I fired it up the next time, I was truly amazed. No holes, perfect circle, perfect tint, perfect everything. I was truly in cyan heaven.

After an hour or two of completely and utter ah. I still though something was missing. This fix was more simple though, I decided to go with the kroll switch over the stock tail cap, and that made the best, even better.

Now I am convinced that I have the perfect cyan light. What do you guys think? Pictures are below!!!!!!

Here is the light standing on its head:
light1.jpg

Next up there is a shot of the sandwich:
sandwich.jpg

Now a pic of the front, it is a bit hard to see the McR-18, but its there:
light2.jpg

Ok its beam shot time. I have 2 beam shots, one of them was taken before I got a chance to put in the McR-18, and the other is with the McR-18.

First is with the TL reflector:
beamstock.jpg

Now for the McR-18 beam:
beammcr.jpg

These beam shots are not meant to judge brightness or throw, they are just simply to show the difference between the 2 reflectors. They were taken at roughly the same distance, with the same camera settings.

Here is my final shot for you:
beamflash.jpg

I am very happy with this light. I do however want to try some different stuff with it:
-Get a UCL lens for it (I am not sure if this would cause the bezel to screw in less because it is thicker than stock mag lens.)
-Try a Lux V cyan emitter and 2x14500 cells
-Try it with a Lux III RB emitter

Well like I said this really isn't a mod as much as it is putting a whole bunch of other peoples stuff together. I hope you guys enjoyed! Let me know what you think of it...

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! :clap: :twothumbs

I know from experience the McR18 reflector must be a great improvement.
With a little machining you can even use a McR20 reflector . :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Dude! You sure that's your first sammie? :wow: Nice job!

You should see my first sammie. No, wait, I threw away the charred remains a long time ago :green: I think I killed half a dozen boards before I got it right. :lolsign:

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
Thanks for all the compliments. It really means a lot to me.

greenLED, I had a huge amount of help from CPF member trivergata, who was an amazing help to me and even was nice enough to talk me through it on the phone. He is a great guy!!

trivergata

Enlightened
Donno how I missed this post - I feel a bit like an uncle, having talked with you while you did it, and BTW, the fact that you could make sense of my 1 in the morning ramblings is a credit to you.......I tend to get tough to understand after about 11 PM.

The sammie looks great! I'm glad it worked out, and as a side note, if you can build a sammie, there aren't many mods that should scare you - sammies require good soldering, good epoxy work and good measuring - the stuff mods are made out of!

Great work, Mini!

Josh