Mini Mag performance with NiMH batteries?

Velcro

Enlightened
Has anyone used NiMH batteries (or Ni-Cad for that matter) in the Mini Mag 2AA? What about brightness? Which amount of Mah did you use, and how long was (is) the runtime?

Greetings,
Velcro

Empath

Flashaholic
I used to use the Mini Mag 2 X AA as an EDC, and used it frequently, using 1600 mah NiMH cells. It comes close to the brightness of alkaline, but not quite. One advantage, based only on comparison to a friend that also carried a Mini Mag AA with about the same amount of use, is the life of the bulbs. I've never burned out a Mini Mag T1 bulb using NiMH; he burned out several using alkaline.

I don't carry it any longer. In its place I have a PT Blast clipped to my belt loop, and a Rage in the holster that did carry the Mini Mag. They both outperform the Mag.

Velcro

Enlightened
Koga, how long is your runtime? I think I'm going to use Philips 1100 Mah NiMH.
Btw, do you charge those GP's in a GP charger?

Empath, how long was your runtime?

Greetings,
Velcro

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Velcro:
Empath, how long was your runtime?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would charge it every two weeks, and it never ran down in use. I probably never put more than two or three minutes use nightly into it. It did run down a few times when it would come on in the holder.

Al

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>]Has anyone used NiMH batteries (or Ni-Cad for that matter) in the Mini Mag 2AA? What about brightness? Which amount of Mah did you use, and how long was (is) the runtime?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please excuse the slight change of subject in the reply ... I use my minimag avg. 30 min./day. Nexstar bulb, rechargeable alkalines for batts. A bit brighter than the NimH's.
I've found the rechargeable alkalines to be very suitable for flashlight use. Never had one leak (although some on the forum have), and treating them right by charging often - every other day or so - have had this type of battery last for over 18 months.
Reasons for choice: 1.5V and no self-discharge

Velcro

Enlightened
Actually Al, your input about those rechargeable alkalines are very welcome. I have been thinking about using those as well.

How long can you keep the light on continously before you have to do a recharge?
You write that you use it for 30 minutes average a day, and you charge overy other day (or so). Am I correct in guessing a full hour of use and then a recharge?

Greetings,
Velcro

sflate

Enlightened
I would also go with the Alkalines (rechargeable or otherwise) over NiMH or Nicad. NiMH and Nicad have a plus side of keeping almost full brightness until they die, but unfortunately, that is also their weakness. I remember being up in a crawl space above a ranch house, walking across 2'
center beams covered with insulation and having my flashlight (with Nicads at the time) all of a sudden decide to quit. It wasn't fun. At least alkalines give you plenty of warning before they die. Keep this in mind. Also, I never had a Rechargeable alkaline leak like others either. I do baby them though. (recharge often)

recercare

Enlightened
Reusable alkaline has an advantage, the self discharge is only 5-10%. It's great for low drain devices, 0.7A or less. However, at higher drain, +0.9A, NiCd and NiMH outperform reusable alkaline bigtime.

Al

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> ]Actually Al, your input about those rechargeable alkalines are very welcome. I have been thinking about using those as well.
How long can you keep the light on continously before you have to do a recharge?
You write that you use it for 30 minutes average a day, and you charge overy other day (or so). Am I correct in guessing a full hour of use and then a recharge?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't leave it on untill recharge appears necessary ... rechargable alkalines should NOT be depleted during use, should be recharged often and as "recercare" states, are best used in low drain devices. I am not aware of any short term self-discharge characteristics with these batteries however, which is why they are fully charged when you break 'em out of the bubble pack.

How a light is used determines the power source. For example, imho, "Need a shelf-life"? ... lithiums, alkalines i.e. rehargables - "Heavy usage"? nicd's or nimh's and carry spares, etc., etc.

recercare

Enlightened
There's another thing about reusable alkalines, the amount of cycles is very low...50-150. Or maybe new reusable alkalines with more cycles have been released?

Al

Enlightened
True, no 500 recharges w/ alkalines. Frequent or heavy usage applications are better off w/ nicd's or nimh's ... Rechargable alkalines saving factors are full 1.5v and long shelflife so the infrequent user saves his bucks by having a working light that's been stored for a year.