Played the "How Much?" Game.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
So I showed my friend my fenix L0P compared to my mag 3d stock. Hes like holy $ish. Thats pretty nice. Then I responded with, guess how much?

"$10" "No, keep going"

"Up or down?" "Up"

"$20" "No."

"$30" "No."

"Your starting to scare me here" "keep going"

"$40" "No"

"Don't tell me you paid more then $50" "Nope, I didnt"

"So how much did it cost?" "Around $48"

"YOU PAID $48 FOR THAT little thing??"

"yeah.. but look at how bright it is.. and the finish is amazing, my keys haven't scratched it at all. "

"How bout that $5 little mag you bought?" (Solitare)..

"Yeah.. that's on my desk at home, I use that when I need to find a flashlight"

Then he shakes his head and tells me I need help.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Good grief. I know exactly what you mean. Tell him that for the cost of a dinner for 2 at Chili's, he can have one too!

Definatley dont show him a HDS or PD, he might have a heart attack! :huh:

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
Show him the thread where a polished Ti PD went for $ 750.00. Make sure there's something soft behind him. :laughing:

Cliff

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're an idiot if you let people guess what your flashlights cost. I understand those people saying you're nuts and a show-off if you tell them you've spent 48 USD on a tiny flashlight, because they don't know anything about it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The same people will brag about spending $100 on music and games for their gameboy but what use are they when the power goes out?

RCatR

Enlightened
i've only spent a cumulative $200-ish on flashlights so far...luckily my family& friends are smart-whenever flashlight pricing comes up i remind them that i don't drink:p

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
coldsolderjoint said:
..."Yeah.. that's on my desk at home, I use that when I need to find a flashlight"

That was really well said! Perhaps I should actually mount a stock 3D :duck: together with batteries and everything and place it on my desk, just for finding my other flashlights...

coldsolderjoint said:
Then he shakes his head and tells me I need help.

We all do. We all do...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Considering some of the reactions I've gotten I think sometimes it's better to lie and just say some number less than $20. Beyond that most folks really don't understand.

Geoff

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, when I showed a girl an HDS Basic 60 and flipped through the levels, she said "Wow, that must have been pretty expensive, like maybe $20?" I just said, "Yeah, about that." :)

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
I'm lucky, I last played that game with my uncle, using the L0P too. All he said was, "this thing should have a 2-level switch." This is my favorite uncle for a good reason :naughty:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Erasmus said:
You're an idiot if you let people guess what your flashlights cost.

i am sure he enjoyes being called an idiot. :)

-David

Macaw

Enlightened
I just committed to ordering a $280 Mclux III PD. No way am I going to tell people how much I paid for it. They will consider me a total idiot, and a fool! I might just tell that I paid $40, that way they'll just consider me as only one of the above nouns.:grin2:

Navck

Enlightened
Someone wanted to trade me my HDS for a 5 dollar bill. He kept insisting that I had to, and decided harrassment, public swearing, and almost assaulting me would do the job. Store security removed him promptly.

People can be stupid.

Small thing to mention - There's a kid at my highschool that had his PSP gold plated, cost him 700 dollars, he called me an idiot for owning a 200+ dollar flashlight. There's also another kid who thinks her Razr is the "best thing in the world", and has it "superglued" to her ear, she somehow goes over her 4000 minute plan as well.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
The other day, I needed to barrow a multimeter from the autimotive store to test to see if I was getting power at my dome light in the car (my multimeter was at home, the bulb in there didn't look like it was burnt out)...

He handed me the multimeter, and I handed him my flashlight.. I said "I've got almost $100 tied up in this thing, so it should bring me back..." (I consider it common practise to leave something of value behind when a store lets me barrow something)..

As I walked out the door they started playing with it, pointing it at eachother, pointing it around the store... They seemed impressed... I came back in a few minuts later to buy a new bulb for the dome light. They complemented the flashlight, and didn't even remark about the price.

So I guess there are some folks out there, who understand. pretty cool.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Macaw said:
I just committed to ordering a $280 Mclux III PD.

You're nuts. :)

I can't see any entirely sane person spending over $150 on a flashlight unless they needed something specialized as work/duty light (e.g. an M6 HOLA) or wanted a cutting edge HID light for some reason.