new flashlight

torch masta

Newly Enlightened
i have recently decided to get a super bright led flashlight. this one has 100 leds and uses 4 AA battries. my questions are how long would the battries last and would that flashlight be pretty much the brightest.

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
First of all welcome to CPF! :wave:

If it is that eBay 100 LED flashlight. Than no, it is no where near the brightest out there. The brightest light out there is arguable, but I would say it would probably be a HID of some sort, maybe the XeRay? But different people will tell you differently.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome the CPF, torch masta!

The brightest LED flashlight would be some kind of custom built, LuxV (Luxeon V LED) running off lithium-ion rechargeables. It won't be cheap. I think the brightest LuxV production lights are made by SF right now, although other companies are slowly introducing 5W models as well. Don't believe eBay claims of 7W, 8W, or 10W Luxeon lights - those emitters are not in production yet (but expect to see them from SF later this year once Lumileds has them ready). ;)

On the cheaper side of things, but still plenty bright, you can pick up a TerraLux MiniStar2 drop-in module from led-replacement.com About $20 and many, many times brighter than the stock miniMaglite.

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF torch masta,

Since you didn't specify LED or incandescent and no one has mentioned them yet...

You might want to take a look at the Surefire G2 it's cheap (comparing to lights seen here on CPF) and it's very bright for a compact light.

As for LED lights, the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon is another popular light that can be had for little cash.

Both are quality lights and both are great starter lights for the budding flashaholic.
It's all a matter of what you prefer and how much cash you have.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!
A good motto on lights is: The desired mission=The right flashlight

Don't get lured into the false claims on Ebay and elsewhere. If you are looking at LEDs, perhaps start with something like Streamlight PP 4AA luxeon. It is a 1 watt luxeon with excellent throw. It is about 24.95 at Fox Intl. Always check online review sites for info on potential purchases. You should also look frequently at GreenLED's excellent listing of CPF special and discounts. It can be found in a"sticky" under dealers corner here on CPF. Good luck with you purcheses.