Camping flashlight for a friend

Chris201W

Enlightened
One of my friends asked me today to recommend a light for him to take camping. He just got back from a trip and complained that his Gerber Infinity Ultra was too dim and his Surefire G2 (P60) was too bright for most tasks. He's looking for a small light with good runtime somewhere between the two in brightness. He said he's going to use it for looking in bags and whatnot, general navigation. Any suggestions?

I think he should go with either a Fenix L1P or an Inova X5. He doesn't want an L2P as it's too long. The L1P is smaller, brighter, and uses common batteries, but the X5 beats it hands down on runtime, and he can use the dead batteries from his G2 in it. The X5 is probably more reliable for camping than the Fenix, but I would guess not enough to really factor in.

What do you guys think? L1P or X5? Any other light?

carrot

Flashaholic
You've pointed out the exact same reason I would cite in recommending the X5 over the Fenix L1P. The L1P is a great light, no doubt, but since he already has a G2, he could get much better use out of his batteries by putting them in the X5. I like this combo a lot.

I rigged the G2 and X5 together with zip ties, making a poor man's A2-- leave the X5 in constant on, and use the G2 for distance spotting. If I had some kind of mount to connect the lights two inches or so apart from each other... it'd be even better.

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
I'm presuming he will continue to carry the other two lights mentioned. The L1P is a bit too bright to be rummaging around in bags if your eyes are adjusted to the dark, but its beam and throw are a bit better for outside use. I don't use my X5 so much for camping, its beam is better suited for in-house navigation IMO.

Other option would be to wait and see what the Fenix P1 reviews show, to see if it will run well on partially depleted cr123s. Or get the L2P and the cr123 body. I've read here on CPF that others are running L1P heads on primary cr123 with no adverse effect...i've not tried it myself. The L1P + cr123 body might be feasible for your friend so long as he is only loading used cr123 and not fresh. Again, I've not tried this myself and only speculating. The single cr123 body will also prevent mixing cr123s in different states of discharge. He will also have the 1xaa body too.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will second Carrots suggestion for the X5, it is a great light in the area you are describing. I will also suggest a headlamp, I like the Brinkman 3 LED model as being a great camping item for working outsie at night when you need your hands.

Lucero

Enlightened
I have $.02 to spend:

Chris201W

Does your friend use a headlight as well?
This is what we use for close work with both hands while camping, such as you've described. I'm guessing that a headlamp is out of the running.

carrot
A block of black/charcoal foam (used in shipping electronics) could separate the two lights by 2" or so. It's a little klugey, but it works. Are they zip-tied in a North/South configuration to offset the heads and to provide better balance?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my X5 more than any of my other lights.

I have thought that I would carry a Gerber Infinity Ultra for close range use and something like a Pelican M6 LED for long range use. If the Gerber is not bright enough for close range then I would try the X5.

In addition I would take a headlamp. I bought a Petzl Tikka a few years ago for my girls to use camping- walking to the bathroom at night and so forth. If your camping spot doesn't have electricity then the bathroom will be real dark at night, and you can't manage clothing, paper, AND a light all at the same time.

The only thing missing is a tent light. Lots of little lights would do but I've been wondering if the Gerber Bonfire, Hornet or Inferno might work better for this.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight TwinTask 2L

small, switch between a bright incandescent or 3-5mm LEDS.

about $30

carrot

Flashaholic
Lucero said:
carrot
A block of black/charcoal foam (used in shipping electronics) could separate the two lights by 2" or so. It's a little klugey, but it works. Are they zip-tied in a North/South configuration to offset the heads and to provide better balance?
Zip tied facing the same direction, so that you can just hit the momentary on the G2 for more light. I took the zip ties off, though, because I have an A2 and prefer it over the combo I mentioned. I was thinking more along the lines of a clamp or mount that holds each light away from each other, so that it would still be comfortable to hold and use.

drmaxx

Enlightened
I suggest the PT Aurora. Small and reasonably bright, three stages and with a very good spill. The strap can be easily removed and then you have a small pocket light. It fits the bill perfectly.
However, it uses AAA - which in your case does not really fit your other flashlights.
Or even better: Use an adjustable light with a wider range such as HDC, PT Apex (my personal preference for camping) or elitemax.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much as I love the X5, when searching for stuff in your pack, you may want to use both hands and the X5 is a bit big and heavy to bung in your mouth (not to mention tooth chipping!!).
For my money I would always take a small headlamp - my favorite being the Petzl Zipka+ - variable output and the head band zips straight back into the light when not in use - very good for camping and also has great WOW factor. In fact I'd take a couple, they make fantastic tent lights too!

Hi di Hi !! (Kill me now!)...

DaveG

Enlightened
Have him go to Target,pick up a Inova X-5 and a River Rock 0.5 aaa head light,good combo for about $50. or so. The X-5s at Target from what I can tell are the newer model with the brighter leds.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say a L1P and a MM with a Nite Ize. That way you could also use a Nite Ize Headstrap with either for handsfree.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the suggestions of an X5 and a headlamp. I'm also using that little Energizer 2xNichia adjustable lamp ($6.99 from Target) as a tent light.

For things that go bump in the night I have my M90X/100X. Compact and feeds the X5 my spent 123 cells.

CARNAL1

Newly Enlightened
Just my two cents, but I would go with the UK 4AA eLED. It has fantastic runtime (10-12) hours on common easy to find batteries; and it has just the right brightness for those around the campsite duties.

Happy Dark Trails

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that carrying two large lights (G2 and X5) is too much baggage if you are hiking. I always try to carry as light as possible. So I would recomend him using a Fenix L1P with a two stage switch. This way he will have a very low level light, and a pretty powerful one too. If you are camping a headlamp is also essential. Princeton Tec EOS would be a good choice. I prefer the headlamps that have the batteries in the front (no battery pack in back of head), and there are alot of models to choose from.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two words: Variable Power. Sounds like the classic dilemma - runtime vs brightness vs output vs.....etc. that'll be solved nicely by a VP light.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Black Diamond IQ headlamps are regulated, have multiple modes, use AA batts, and are small & lightweight.