Rechargeable batteries safe for surfires?

ANW

Newly Enlightened
What Brand name rechargeable 123's safe to use in surefire lights? I have a A2 (favorite) E2E (next favorite) 2-G2's, 2-e1e's,e2o, with more to be added later:naughty: plus a dorcy 1 watt light. I'm going to add a kl1 head this weekend to my list plus another surefire just not sure what.

I don't want to fry my lights or bulbs is my concern. But buying 123's is getting expensive even the dollar ones.

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter. God Bless :grin2:

citizenal

Newly Enlightened
From what I know of from experience(blew a M6 bulb with a rechargeable) and what I have read, you cannot use rechargeables with the surefires. I think they have a higher voltage, in the 4.something range and a regular 123 has 3.7 volts..

mdocod

Flashaholic
generally speaking. 9V lamps, (3 cells lights) work well on 2 li-ions. 2 cell lights sometimes work fine on a pair of li-ions that have a voltage regulator built in that drops them to 3.2V (3V rechargables).. 4 cell lights(12V) sometimes work ok on 3x li-ion cells... Another option, is to run a 2 cell light on a single li-ion cell. In regulated lights, it usually works well (you buy a 17670 for the A2 for example, fits in the same space as 2x123s), also works good in the U2 (18650 size fits)... but on unregulated lights, dropping to a single li-ion cells will result in less light... but it's still usually very usable, and makes it a relible rechargable light.

hopefully someone else will chime in about the A2 running on a single li-ion cell... I know it's a regulated light, just not sure about whether it can "step up" voltage enough from a li-ion and run reliably or not..

UWAK

Enlightened
So I guess 2x17500 protected from AW will work for 9P+old KL3. Am I right? Any experience on runtime yet?

Frids

nzgunnie

Enlightened
UWAK said:
So I guess 2x17500 protected from AW will work for 9P+old KL3. Am I right? Any experience on runtime yet?

Frids

It should work fine, I use 2x AWs 17500 to run 9V incans in my 9P. The voltage is somwhere around 7.2 - 8.4 depending on how much charge the batteries have, the KL3 can run on 9v so I see no reason for any problems.