Help me choose a high power Keychain light???

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got myself an HDS EDC U60, but I am already thinking about my next purchase (man do I have it bad. lol).
Here are the lights I currently have:

Fenix L1P
HDS U60 XR GT
Streamlight TL 3
ARC AAAP (current keychain light)
LEDBeam 3C

I really feel like I have most fields covered with just my U60 and my TL3. I guess I am just looking for a really bright keychain light to complement or replace my AAAP.
So far I have thought of an Orb RAW because it appears to have the power I am looking for and it also has good runtime with its low feature. However, I don't think that the Orb RAW has an attachment so it can be put on a keychain, does it? I am looking to spend under $85, so that leaves the RAW NS out of the picture.
Is there anything else that is very small and has big output and can be put on a keychain? If there isn't I guess I will have to wait for something new to come out. Requirements is that it must have at least 25 lumens or more, because anything less than that isn't a big enough jump from the AAAP to make it worth while.

Thanks

Last edited:

ront

Newly Enlightened
Re: What light should I get next???

The Fenix L1P is no keychain light, but it is a great little light. Add the two stage mod and it is even a better light!
If it was me, unless for some reason you are unhappy with the tint on your U60, I would not spend the $ again as the tint MAY NOT BE much different. Although and XR model may be nice.

Ron

DSCN5663_edited-1.jpg

DSCN5664_edited-1.jpg

DSCN5665_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello adirondackdestroyer:)

Take a look to the new Fenix P1-Rocket.

Perhaps that's it, what you are looking for.

Best regards

____
Tom

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire U2; but only if you can buy from a brick and mortar store and check the output for donuts before buying. If you can get one with minimal donut, it is a great light.

I would not risk purchasing one site-unseen though!

The 5 watt lights are just awesome in my opinion compared to even very nice 3 watt lights.

I have also read nice things about the HD45 from McGizmo. His lights are on my list eventually.

-Goatee

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments guys, but I am looking for a very powerful "Keychain light". I already have a Fenix L1P, and the U2 is too big and too expensive for me to take a risk on (considering the amount of bad experiences people have with them).

I was wondering if there is anything else in the size class of an Orb Raw (or maybe a little bigger) that has more power than an Fenix L1P.

Paul6ppc

Enlightened

Raw does have a keychain kit avail at flashlightlens.com. It a snap ring with a split ring.about 5 bucks.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paul6ppc said:
Raw does have a keychain kit avail at flashlightlens.com. It a snap ring with a split ring.about 5 bucks.

Thanks! How does this work? Does the ring go around the endcap of the light and then you attach a split ring to it?

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I recieved a RAW recently and the tail has been changed to resemble the Ns, but still retains the groove for the Flashlightlens key ring kit, so you have 2 options now on how to fit it to a keyring. You will need a very small split ring because the slots in the tail are tiny. If you go the RAW route, I would recomend the Ns for a little more because it is a bit smaller(at this size that little bit is quite noticeable), the material is more durible, and it has O rings which the RAW lacks. My Ns replaced my LOP, which replaced my ArcP AAA on my keychain. Very happy with this light, 2 usefull stages in a tiny package.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic

Like what the other said regarding either the Fenix P1 Pocket Rocket. The PierceLight M10 is a nice one but up there in price. There's also the JiL series of lights to look at.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

luxlunatic said:
I recieved a RAW recently and the tail has been changed to resemble the Ns, but still retains the groove for the Flashlightlens key ring kit, so you have 2 options now on how to fit it to a keyring. You will need a very small split ring because the slots in the tail are tiny. If you go the RAW route, I would recomend the Ns for a little more because it is a bit smaller(at this size that little bit is quite noticeable), the material is more durible, and it has O rings which the RAW lacks. My Ns replaced my LOP, which replaced my ArcP AAA on my keychain. Very happy with this light, 2 usefull stages in a tiny package.

Thanks alot for the info. :)
So you are saying that the new Raw has a tailcap that has a hole in it so it can be put on a keychain (like the NS does)? I don't know if I want to put up the extra cash and get a NS. The Raw is only $80 shipped (with 2 stage output) and the NS is quite a bit more. The normal Raw is also more powerful, so I have heard.

Delvance

Enlightened

The normal raw was more powerful than the NS but iirc, Rob at Orb decided to bump the output of the NS to match the raw. Don't know if it has happened yet though.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Delvance said:
The normal raw was more powerful than the NS but iirc, Rob at Orb decided to bump the output of the NS to match the raw. Don't know if it has happened yet though.

I see. I just checked the prices of the Orb RAW vs. the RAW NS, and the NS is $109, while the normal RAW is $82. These prices are with shipping and a two stage switch, but without a tritium insert (which I don't want).

Do you guys think the extra money for the NS is worth it? It is only $27, so I am starting to think it might be worth the extra cash, as long as the NS is brighter than it was when it first came out. Because I have seen some pics of the RAW compared to the NS, and the RAW was quite a bit brighter.

HonorKnight

Newly Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost.

adirondackdestroyer said:
Thanks for the comments guys, but I am looking for a very powerful "Keychain light". I already have a Fenix L1P, and the U2 is too big and too expensive for me to take a risk on (considering the amount of bad experiences people have with them).

I was wondering if there is anything else in the size class of an Orb Raw (or maybe a little bigger) that has more power than an Fenix L1P.

I saw some else suggest the Fenix P1 Rocket. Not to be confused with the L1P. It says 55 lumens and can reach 75 with a RCR123. It's a Lux 3. It comes with a key chain attachment. If nothing else it could be a spare battery holder for your U 60XR. It's only about $50. I'm extremely tempted to have that be my next light.

The Peak LED Caribbean is also an excellent light. Bright, good run time. You can get the key chain body. It has an excellent review on flashlightreviews.com

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
I would get the RAW its a great little light,the ns is not as bright,and have been turning up in the BST forum. Plus the raw is cheaper! the new Fenix P1 does look interesting. The Raw will get scratched up fairly easy. Fenix is Ha III I think. Amilite t3 is another contender as well as Ion cr2. All nice choices.

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
If you're considering the Raw NS, I'd also put the Fire-Fly III from Doug Speck into the mix. It's $130 (last I checked) with charger and RCR123. A fantastic light with great output, very high quality machining, and the tremendous flexibility of the FluPIC module. I have mine on my keychain, and with me everywhere I go. It's bigger than the Raw and RawNS, but it's very small for an R123 light, and can take primaries as well as rechargeables.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have considered the Fire Fly, but I just bought a U60 XRGT, and I feel like they are very (almost too) similar. I also don't want to spend that much on this light because I tend to baby them when I spend that much money on it.

By the way... how heavy/large does it feel on your keychain?

GrooveRite

Enlightened
I've been outta the loop for about 2 months but the last Torch I was considering (and still might get) was the Jil Intelli but many people were having problems getting them at a reasonable time (like 4 to 8 weeks) so I didnt. I've been hearing about this FireFly 3 and how it has the same Flupic Module as the Jil Intelli but I dont know which of these 2 would be better. Yes i know, get both but I'm looking to get the better one first :). Adirondack, I'd say go with either these 2 or the RAW.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
GrooveRite said:
I've been outta the loop for about 2 months but the last Torch I was considering (and still might get) was the Jil Intelli but many people were having problems getting them at a reasonable time (like 4 to 8 weeks) so I didnt. I've been hearing about this FireFly 3 and how it has the same Flupic Module as the Jil Intelli but I dont know which of these 2 would be better. Yes i know, get both but I'm looking to get the better one first :). Adirondack, I'd say go with either these 2 or the RAW.

I just researched the JIL Intelli and it looks to be exactly what I am looking for. I noticed there are quite a few different models. Which one should I get? There are the DD versions and the 1.3 versions, and I really don't know what the differences are.
I am planning on running this thing on rechargables and I want it to be very bright (as bright as possible) on the burst/high mode and I also want it to have good runtime on the lower levels.
Any help is greatly appreciated.