"Best" EDC for under $70 - Suggestions Please

jwl

Enlightened
I'm looking to get a new EDC. My requirements are listed below.

Batteries: AAA, AA, CR123 (not prefered), prefer single cell
LED: minimum of 1W
Construction: Metal body, prefer HAIII

The ones I'm looking at now are:

Fenix L0P, L1P, L1T, or P1
Jetbeam Jet-I

What do you guys have for suggestions?....:popcorn:

dragoman

Enlightened
Well your requirements pretty much limit you to what you have listed (at least, that I'm aware of in the price range you want).

I'd get one of the new Fenix T series lights with a 3-watt LED and uses AA batteries.

dragoman

AJMAUDIO

Newly Enlightened
nobody thinkin peak? peak pacific with aa body seems like a nice light.

Penguin

Enlightened
I'd go with a Fenix L1T/P, and you'd have enough left over to get one of LITEmania's sweet kydex holsters.

etendue_241.jpg

The L1p is really a great light, it's bright, uses only 1 AA battery, and performs great on a NiMH.

liquidsix

Enlightened
Jet-I is really nice, and the AA is easily convertable into a 2xAA for longer runtime.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the RR 2AAA is bright enough get the 1AAA version known as the Nuwai TM-310H. I prefer the tint of the L1P though.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
You seem to have it covered, but are there any Peak models that qualify?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mentioned AAA so for EDC use I would recommend the Peak Pacific AAA. Load it with a lithium AAA cell for 5 hours of regulated runtime. It will also run on AAA alkalines or NiMH with less regulated runtime. Good size if you want to wear it on a lanyard or disappear in a pocket. Add $5 to the $50 price and receive a AA pocket body for 13 hours of runtime on a lithium AA. The Fenix L1P has more output and throw with decreased runtime.

The Fenix L1P is a decent light that is durable, very bright for a single AA and inexpensive. It will run on any AA you have laying around which is great for an EDC. Has a tail clickie switch and stands on end easily for bounce light. It is sort of a CPF standard when comparing beam intensity to make it easier to understand comparisons between lights.

Then there is the dark horse Proton, get that one and let us know how well it works :) Variable output and a red LED makes it a very interesting light for an EDC.

No matter what, it is a good time to be a flashaholic that likes AAA/AA single cell lights. :thumbsup:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
LRI Proton... I will second that... advantage of Brightness levels... and AA Battery

Also look at Peak LED Solutions Pacific... Loads of battery configurations

Fenix, Hold on... wait till they (hopefully) come out with a Better Reflector. Else, Fenix is one of the good lights that is available.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Fiddleback said:
Has anyone actually tried this light?
I did at SHOT Show earlier this year. I was very impressed with the interface and its performance. The show room is very well lit, so it's hard to gauge brightness. For EDC needs, I'd say the Proton is a great light: common AA batteries, multiple levels and modes, 2 colors. What else can you ask for?

I have a Fenix L1P now (thanks, rscanady!) and like it a lot. It doesn't have all the extra features of the Proton, though. Think about what are the expected uses of your EDC. I prefer them dimmer but with long runtime (but, I carry a Lux-based scorcher as well...) :crazy:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
If you need your light only briefly each day, you can't lose with the Fenix L0P. It's tiny, uses an AAA cell and is fun bright for its size. Using a single AAA cell, you can feed it with rechargeable cells and have nearly cost-free happiness. I like it since I can mouth carry it when arriving home at 1 AM after work.

For backup, I also carry the Fenix L1P on my belt with a single lithium AA cell.

I'm trying to figure out how I can carry these, *plus* my Arc AAA for 5+ hours of runtime for infrequent situations where I need long runtime. The L0P plus the Arc on the keychain can be a bit of a load. Oh! the travails of being a flashaholic!!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe the triton 3w? I dont know about that proton, but it doesnt use a luxeon, so i wouldnt expect it to throw very well.

-David