ROP with camless reflector

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I just finished my first "built" light...a 2D ROP. It was indeed a snap.l It seems to be running pretty darned bright on 6 energizer 2500's with a MOP camless reflector from the Sandwich Shoppe.

I do have a question though...in Modamag's cammed/camless group buy thread, he shows a modification to teh bulb/switch assembly for use with a camless reflector. I don't really like the "floody" light with the very obvious artifacts and wire shadow things that are showing up. On a hunch I put the stock reflector back in and dialed it down to spot and bam! Much nicer throw and the artifacts were not really noticeable.

My question is this: Is the mod shown in Modamag's thread one that's commonly done? Can I just do it with an electric drill and a steady hand? It surely looks simple enough. Is there a certain measured distance I should make the top of the "loop back" of the hole so that it'll be at the same spot
the stock reflector would put it?

Thanks very much for any suggestions. I did try to search the forums (I promise!), but I didn't find anything in the first couple of runs, and the forums have seemed VERY slow for the last day or so, so I gave up.

Thanks again,
Rob

Last edited:

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can lock the bulb in place by putting a small washer under the screw that rides up and down in the slot on the bulb post. Push it about 3/4 the way in against the spring and tighten it down this should give you a good range of focus by turning the head.

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

REparsed

Newly Enlightened
BrighTor said:
Found a link here that shows a mod for it. Maybe it'll help someone else looking for the info. :)

I just tried that with my 2C Mag ROP and it works great. Just by chance I had a drill bit exactly the size of the little shoulder below the roller.