KROMA Vs A2

batman

Enlightened
Now that the KROMA is out, anyone have any idea if it's highest white setting (60 lumens) throws better than the A2 in incandescant mode?

Just when I was sure I wanted an A2 this KROMA light comes out so I want to know if it's better. Thanks!

magic79

Enlightened
The information I have is that it won't be available for several weeks yet. It's not listed on the Surefire site and all dealers are still saying "reserve yours".

pkennethv

Newly Enlightened
I have never actually seen (the real thing) a light with an TIR lens before and don't know if it would make much of a difference in the trow of an LED light. If it doesn't then I doubt that the Kroma could compete with the A2 because most LED's can't match the throw of incandescence. I also don't know if Surefire also "under rated" the Lumen output of the Kroma like they did with the A2. I think that the tested lumen output of an A2 is close to 80 lumens. Something else to consider... according to flashlightreviews.com/ the A2 has the best throw of any other pocket size Surefire light except for the ones that use the P60 and P61 lamps like the G2 and 6p. I don't think an LED could match that (for it's size of course) oh, by the way did you say that the Kroma is out now? Where? :drool:

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Two very different lights, and personally, I favors the reflector over a TIR for my personal use since the sidespill works really well illuminate the surrounding while I could focus on where the hotspot is. But yet, the robustness and the multiple leds is always a plus for the new Kroma. Btw, does anyone knows is the led ring also regulated?(my wild guess is not, but it will be sooo nice if it is...)

One consideration is to naked eyes, the incan probably have better color retention than led(which gets washed out by ambient light quite easily), so even the led could 'throw' better, the result to naked eyes might be a different story. For EDC purpose, I have seen the prototype of the Kroma and still think that A2 is more pocketable than a Kroma. However, the Kroma does have a slimmer profile than U2, so it is not entirely impossilbe to EDC it as well. :)

pkennethv

Newly Enlightened
pkennethv said:
I have never actually seen (the real thing) a light with an TIR lens before and don't know if it would make much of a difference in the trow of an LED light.

Oh wait, What was I saying!!!!???:ohgeez: I HAVE seen and used a real Kroma before, I never actually compared it with an other light. I need to go to the mall where they have the Kroma demo tommrow anyways, I'll try to make some quick comparisons at the store and post up.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
If the TIR is anything like the Inova TIRS, they throw very well at the expense of any spill. I have the XO and it has a perfect round spot but almost no spill to speak of. I really like that but only because I also have the X5 that is just the opposite. I suppose it also depends on how the lens is designed. I imagine it is pretty controlable.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
pkennethv said:
Oh wait, What was I saying!!!!???:ohgeez: I HAVE seen and used a real Kroma before, I never actually compared it with an other light. I need to go to the mall where they have the Kroma demo tommrow anyways, I'll try to make some quick comparisons at the store and post up.

:grin2: BRING BACK PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin2:

carrot

Flashaholic
I can tell you right now, I don't intend on buying the K2 Kroma. It sounds like a nice light, especially to have a TIR optic with 60 lumens, running for two hours, but the $300 price tag makes it hard to justify for me. The only thing the Kroma's got going for it that could justify the price is the combination of both red and blue 5mms with a Luxeon designed to throw... and it's multiple stages of light, but I racked my brain and couldn't come up with a single good reason as to why I want blue leds... or even red for that matter. It's a fantastic idea, but the K2 is really a specialized light, and if you can't think of any good reason to have both red and blue LEDs, then it's not worth the extra cash over the A2. At least, that's the way I see it. The K2 is about the size of the U2, which by itself is a beautiful and "small" light, but compared to other Surefires like the A2 and E2e, is pretty big.

What I'd really like to see is a stripped-down version of the K2 (obviously not with the same name) that is just the Luxeon with TIR optic and two stage. If the first-hand accounts of the Kroma reflect the final version, the 60 lumen TIR optic beam would be quite different in comparison to the L2.

Don't get me wrong-- I think the Kroma is a fantastic idea-- but just not for me. If you've got money to burn, by all means, get a K2 Kroma. But I'll stick to my A2 Aviator, thank you, because it's slimmer and much more idiot proof. (Yup, I'm an idiot... I like simple lights.)

Last edited by a moderator:

nc987

Enlightened
I personally would be very interested in the kroma in a red green combo. Im sure Surefire will be coming out with more color variations in the future.

the A2 has the best throw of any other pocket size Surefire light except for the ones that use the P60 and P61 lamps like the G2 and 6p. I don't think an LED could match that

Im not too sure about that. Ive used a A2 and i think my KL3 would kick its butt in throw. Cant say for sure as i wont be buying a A2 to test it out, anyone have screenshots of a KL3 and a A2, i would like to see how they compare in throw.

pkennethv

Newly Enlightened
nc987 said:
Ive used a A2 and i think my KL3 would kick its butt in throw.

havn't tested out the Kl3 before, but I hope that the Kl3 COULD kick the A2's butt in throw with 19 lumens.... just imagine what the Kroma could do then:rock:

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire continue to see what their TIR optics (not TIROS) can do. The K2 Kroma will be the first TIR optic bezel that SureFire release that has some real surround beam.

I would also like to see a version without the surrounding LEDs that was still two-stage with the high being 100 lumens and the low being selectable output via the dial. I'm sure that SureFire could put a LuxeonV in there instead of the LuxeonIII of the Kroma...

It's important as some of you have realised that the Kroma may not be a flashlight designed and intended specifically for CPFers. Just because it's new doesn't mean you have to buy it although that isn't a good enough excuse for some!!

BTW, the K2 is much smaller than the U2 is - it's amazing how much difference about 10 mm off the widest part of the flashlight makes for ease of carrying it pocketclipped.

batman

Enlightened
As noticed by your display of it on the bottom of your posts, I assume you, like me - are an A2 fan. do you think (size 15s) that this KROMA light can out throw the A2? I personally doubt it, LED light to me just looks fake like a toy, although I haven't seen the A2 or KROMA in action.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Looky here. Better yet, LOOKY HERE!

Mil Spec edition K2 Kroma for sale by taticalsupply.com. In addition to the blue/red lo/hi white, you get Yellow Green AND infrared leds too!!

Price $299.99, but wait! Enter CPF20 at checkout and receive %20 off!!

I just ordered one, my cost shipped, USA only, was around $238.00

If you dont like it, I promise you can sell it on CPF in like 2 minutes flat!

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
No, the Kromas shown at SHOT Show 2006 did not out 'throw' the A2 or other incandescent SureFires. Whilst be beam shape/light distribution was more like that of the E2e than any of SureFire's other LED flashlights it lacks the incandescent ability to shine farther out into the darkness.
(at least according mine eyes)

Al