anyone use EDGE technology phone?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone used the new Edge technology phone or PDA combo device? does it pickup signal stronger than regular GPRS phone?
Do you notice in the speed of download of your email in your PDA or blackberry ?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use GPRS and it's pitiful. Actually, I should say that I have it, not that I use it. It's just so incredibly slow on my phone that it's a waste of time. My girlfriend's brother works for T-Mobile and he showed me how fast his company issued Toughbook surfs using the EDGE network (also company provided (free)), and I'll say that it wasn't too shabby. It looked something like high speed dial up or faster. I think it was around 200kbps.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a Three phone with UMTS. EDGE, EV-DO and UMTS all run around 200-300kbps usually, so fairly fast. GPRS in comparison is about 20-30kbps if you are lucky.

It is quite nice, however the initial connection can be slow. It does pick up a better signal, but beyond (i think) a 65 kilometer radius from the cell, like every other GSM phone (it's a specification in the GSM technology) the signal just dies - cells measure the distance between you and them (via response time) and once it exceeds a certain limit (around 60-70km as i said) the cell says 'Sorry, you're too far away. Find someone closer.' For dealing with this you are better off with EV-DO - it is CDMA based and therefore has no such distance limit.

--neg

--neg

morituri

Newly Enlightened
I use a Treo 650 with EDGE. It's certainly faster than a GPRS connection, but on a PDA/smartphone, I don't really notice a significant difference.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
morituri said:
I use a Treo 650 with EDGE. It's certainly faster than a GPRS connection, but on a PDA/smartphone, I don't really notice a significant difference.

have you tried to send test email on your treo? Does your new treo freeze like older treo model? I know older treo model freeze if it has too much email to hold in memory.