Aussie needs M*g mod help

4D223

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, hope I'm doing this right. I'm new to the Internet and "posting" stuff. I was wondering if someone could help me with making my AA & 3,4 D m*gs better than the feeble candles they are at present. Any help appreciated. Only 1 problem, here in Australia good stuff is hard to find. Thanks.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!! There are a bunch of options, from incandescent bulb replacements to LEDs and then there's always ditching the whole bunch and buying newer and signifigantly better lights (Don't let me kid, though, I still have a few Maglites around..)

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
Try the niteize 3xled mod for the minimag aa, just got that and i'm quite pleased with it, not as bright as my gladius, but still good.
I can sympathise with your problem, england isn't a good place for a budding flashaholic either.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
4D223:

Welcome.

There is a Mag85 recipe in this thread that tells you how to turn a 3D mag into a very powerful and highly regarded Magmod.

Or, buy a Magcharger light and stick in a WA1160 bulb, and you have a light thats pretty close to a Mag85 and much easier to make.

cheers

missionaryman

Enlightened
gday 4D223 & welcome to the CPF, glad you came here and asked.

there's heaps you can do with what you have there, if you have a look at this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/102531 (other than gripes & winges) there's a few handy names & links to people who can mod.

Also if you are in Sydney you can check this one out: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/113390 even if you're not there's some handy pics to look at so you can get an idea, it's a rare mix of mods all in the one location.

Your AA can most easily be modded with an LED drop in like and SMJLED or a Terralux drop in or one of the many others available, there's even a wild incan hotwire available for it from Auroralite

Your 3D is a perfect candidate for a MAG85 (9AA NIMH cells, Holder for the batteries, glass lens, metal reflector, KIU hit temp bi pin socket & WA 1185 bulb = 700 - 900 lumens for 30mins, think car headlight on high beam)

Your 4D could become a ROP or a 12v 100w hotwire beast!

Delvance

Enlightened
4D233,

Other have addressed your question pretty well in terms of super high output (i kid you not, the M@g85 and ROP mentioned can toe to toe with car headlights). The downside of them are the expenses and very short runtime (compared to a normal stock M@glite).

If you wanted something reliable with a good runtime, simply replace the bulbs with something of lower rated voltage. Eg with your 4D M@g, pop a 3D bulb in there. It will run a fair bit brighter and bulb life is still pretty good. You can also fit "C" cells into your D instead and keep your current bulb, quite similar to the changing bulb method i mentioned. To use C cells, simply fit a rubber hose inside the light or wrapped paper, and fit one more extra cell than you would if you were using "D" cells. You'll have to change the tailcap spring so it sits upside as well, easy 2 second job.

The LED dropins are a good idea too. Brighter than the normal bulbs a fair bit, and if focused well, will out-throw the stock bulb setup too. And they're shockproof and never need replacing.

If want you wanted was a firestarter, refer to the M@g85, ROP or 12V 100W hotwire that Missionaryman mentioned :)

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!