Inova any good? (I want an LED flashlight not sure what)

tobjectpascal

Banned
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-INOVA-T1...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

a9_1_b.JPG

I don't need anything seriously powerful, i just need something i can fit in my pocket which will give me more than 20 minutes of light before going dead, I use a 2 million candle power flashlight at work, it's great and all, i can see trees and pretty much anything that moves from a good distance away no problem, but for close up things, that's a different story... powercuts, etc etc while at work.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
It's not the brightest light available in that size range, but IMHO for the money it is a great quality light. The fit and finish is very nice.

cslinger

Enlightened
Inova makes excellent quality lights. I think the T1 you have listed is a great light and I love mine. That being said it sounds like you would be better served by the Inova X5. It is a better close up flashlight that provides a nice flood of close range light and runs for about 7-8 hours before noticeably dimming. You can find them at Target as well.

The T series and X0 series of lights are all about a long throwing spot of light. They are not all that great for close up work, unless bouncing them off a ceiling. The X5, however, is a spectacular general use, indoor or close range light with a huge flood.

Just my two cents.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inovas are my favorite lights, I have the X1, X0, X03, and X5 and like them all. The X1 is my EDC and I really like it for its balance of decent output, rugged quality, and long battery life which I believe is more important than a really bright light with short runtime.

The X5 is rapidly becoming my workhorse light and light when I need a lot of flood.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for INOVA.

The T1 is my favorite CR123 light.

Surefires and Nuwais and Ledwaves etc, oohs and aahs but then switch on my T1 and I am wondering why I bothered with the others (Oh yes...I'm a Flashaholic!!).

X5 also good for reasons stated above.

Buy one...you'll love it!

Good Luck.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the others said, the X5 is better for closer work.

All of them are good lights:thumbsup:

Best regards

____
Tom

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you will be happy with the T1. Inova makes a very nice light.

Blades

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several single cell CR123 battery lights I keep on a shelf next to each other (see my sig line), and the T1 is one that I grab most often for use around the house, yard, and garage. It is more of a spot tham most, but still wide enough to cover an area for searching around the basement floor or garage shelves. The size (biggest 1x CR123 I own), textured finish, toughness, brightness, and that great clicky (probably more than anything) make it an easy light to use and does the job very well.
The beam is wider than the T3 and Fenix L1P for use a few feet away (on the ground/floor at your feet), but still has enough throw to quickly point up and illuminate the back fence 60 feet away to see what that noise was. ...It was a raccoon last week.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Inova lights are very good, even though they exaggerate their lumen ratings by a lot. They are good values, especially in comparison with expensive Surefires.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I usually do not pay much attention to manufacturers lumens claims, or overall lumens at all. Actually I could not tell you what the lumens of any light I own are, never really check. Lumens is, to me, a misleading and over rated number, just my opinion.

If I am interested in a light I tend to buy it and see if I like the brightness, or better yet wait until Quickbeam does a review on it and then compare the throw, output, and runtime ratings against other lights I do know.

That seems to work best for me because I am less interested in how bright a light is compared to its utility and runtime for the uses I intend it. And the throw and comparisons on Flashlight reviews really helps make a descion.

This is just me, I know that to most flashaholics, lumens is one of the biggest selling points for a light.

zulu45

Enlightened
+1 for Inova. I own an Inova X5T, and it is great. It doesn't have the throw, but it's not designed to be a thrower. It's got a huge, bright, and long running flood of light, perfect for almost any close to mid-range job. Great for power outages, or just walking outside at night.

I also have an Inova X1 (reflector) and it's great as well. Amazing runtime, more than enough light for close up work and going to the can at night, and can go anywhere.

They're both built extremely well, and I'd recommend them to anybody... as if my recommendation matters... :grin2:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple of comparison reviews that might be relevant -

Inova X5 (white)

Inova X1 Spot - White

Inova X5 - latest versions are about as bright as a good 1watt Luxeon light - but a more useful floody beam. Well built - easily available from a local Target store for $35. I consider this a little expensive, it is a bit too long for easy pocket carry. Uses 2x CR123A - tested runtime is between 6-7 hours which is WAY shorter than expected (Inova's claim persists at 20+hours!).

Inova X1 - latest versions are reflector - which gives a much much more generally useful light - runs on single AA battery - also easily available at Target for $20 - I also consider it a bit too expensive, it's easily pocketable - claimed runtime is 10hours - the newer/reflector versions probably will do about 8 hours (estimated) with good brightness.......

Also take a look at this thread -

Form-Factor, Size, Ergonomics

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you looking for a light that can throw or flood?

Also are you going to use rechargeable RCR123 batteries? (Does the Inova's take rechargeables?)
I suggest taking some time and check out all of your possibilities, since there seems to be no end to what you can have/get with all of the flashlights out there....:lolsign:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
tested runtime is between 6-7 hours which is WAY shorter than expected (Inova's claim persists at 20+hours!)
Claims aside, the output versus runtime is still one of the best of any light tested by FLR.com. Many manufacturers claim run time to include light waaay less then 50% of initial - down to what they consider useable, which may be 5-10%.

I use the FLR total output number multiplied by the FLR runtime in hours (to drop out of regulation or when it hits 50-75%) as an indicator and comparison of total life output per set of batteries, and that number is only even approached by the Inova T2's total life.

rider

Newly Enlightened
UnknownVT said:
Inova X5 - [...] - tested runtime is between 6-7 hours which is WAY shorter than expected (Inova's claim persists at 20+hours!).

Of course, Inova seems incapable of updating their packaging for any reason, and that claim still refers to the old style X5T that put out half the light of the current Nichia CSs.

That tested runtime though, is about 5.5 hours to 75% and 6.5 hours to 50%, which is really impressive. In fact, it's as much as several hours more runtime than a lot of Lux I lights with similar (or lower) total output before they drop completely out of regulation. The X5 seems to be very energy efficient, from the bare emitters and their drive current to the lack of a lens to whatever circuitry it has in it, and all of those percentages add up to an excellent use of the energy in its two batteries.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ivovas have really good build quality, but they underdrive their lights alot. There are better values out there i think, than the T1. If you can get it for under $40, than thats a good deal.

-David

Illum

Flashaholic
the first part of your question sorta offended me...lol j/k:)

INOVAs are spetacular lights, built like a tank, and gives out a decent amount of output to cover most of the general applications...

I dropped my XO for around half a dozen times now...once on concrete from waist level...I'm 6'2 by the way...and other times on laminate flooring.

The lens of the X series rattles a bit [specifically XO and XO3] but isnt noticeable in use. I dont know about the T series, for I have never seen them before, nor used them in any practical applications.

My advice, the Nylon "ballistic" holster included in the XOs package is of medicre quality, one whole side of my holster fell apart in the first months of use, Id buy a better one if your going to hang it on your belt...

I keep my holster in my pocket to protect the anodizing from other sharp objects.

My recommendation would be the XO if your going to EDC it and the XO3 for heavy duty use, the large bezel is a bit bulky for EDC...

XO3: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_xo3.htm
XO: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_xo.htm
T series [1-3]: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_t.htm

enjoy...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO INOVA gives you a lot of light for your money.

--Great finish
--Very good build quality
--Well thought out designs
--Proof that a mass produced light can be very slick.

I personally dislike LOTCs on ANY light but I still find some of the INOVA models to be irresistable. I have given in...again and again. :sigh: