Lambda Arrived Today... Current Batch...

bucken

Enlightened
The Lambda Illuminator arrived today after just being shipped Monday (priority mail).

Not being able to wait until dark, I just had to see for myself if it could possibly live up to all the hype. So, in a fairly well lit room, I first took my CPF Arc AAA out of my pocket (its permanent home) and shined it against a blank wall, maybe 2 feet away. You could just make out the beam on the wall. I then unclipped my Arc 2LS (123 battery pack) from my belt loop, and placed its beam beside the CPF's. You can imagine the difference! Finally, I positioned the Lambda next to the LS and, not really knowing what to expect, turned it on! Talk about deja vu!!!

Seriously, Kevin has done a truly professional job. Nowhere is there even the slightest hint that that this light is a mod. If you only owned one custom modified light (can a true flashoholic only own just one), then I would highly recommend this one. I was also very pleased to notice that the tail switch seems much beefier than the ones on either of my two very old Legend AA's.

The Lambda beam appears much bluer and intense than the Arc LS, and really makes the greenish tint of my LS stand out. I was about to say that the Lambda beam seemed to be more tightly focused but, upon just checking it again, the size of the hot spots on both lights are almost equal (both being held the same distance from the wall). The big difference is that the Lambda beam is MUCH more pronounced. OK, let's just say it and get it over with... BRIGHTER!!!

Please, don't take me wrong. I still have the utmost respect for Peter and his Arc's. I already own several, and will likely continue to buy more as time goes on. Peter has provided us with a most useful, reliable, and compact, high quality light. Lambda, on the other hand, has knowingly, and intentionally succumbed to the "race-car" desires for those who want "brighter", and "more". Kevin makes no qualms about how he overdrives the LED, and his warranty clearly reflects it.

Just after dark, I continued some more admittedly unprofessional comparing. Just using some trees in the unlit back yard, the Lambda Illuminator seems to have almost twice the "toss", "throw", or whatever you may choose to call it. All this means is that I can still notice the light of the Lambda on trees that are twice as far away as where the LS fades out. I might also add, FWIW, that the SF E2 will easily trounce both the Luxeon's in its ability to positively light up and identify distant targets, even well beyond the reach of the Lambda.

I've said enough, for now, and I'm sure others will be reporting on their lights as they receive them. As for me, I have found that the LED's provide a much better and smoother light for daily quality inspection work. I will now continue to put both the Lambda and the LS through rigorous everyday use. Let's see... Which one... LS... smaller... Lambda... brighter... Ls... more run time... Lambda... brighter... Hmmm......

Alexis

Newly Enlightened
So the SF E2 is much brighter? They benchmark similarly with Craig's readings. Did you use Nimh or alkalines?

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I wish any single 1-Watt LS-based light to be brighter or equal to an E2, I doubt I'll see the day very soon.

Even with the high-domes (and possibly even overdriven high-domes), the output rating for white LS top out at 30 lumens, and just maybe 5-10 more (not sure here). An E2 easily puts out 65 as per SF's spec, and, for about the same size, the G2 will do 120 with the P61LA!

Looks like we'll still have to wait til the 5W luxeons make their appearance before we truly have incandescent-matching, let alone beating, performance output-wise
frown.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
bucken,

Glad to hear you got it! After BlackBart had his ripped off in the mail, I sweat it every time I mail a bunch out. I'm sure the insurance claim process probably requires as much paper work as filling your taxes.

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
Just to add my two cents on Lambdas Legend, I have his #1 unit, I use it everyday inspecting wiring harnessess, motor relays and general illumination.
He sent me this a long time ago, its still on its original E2-Titanium batteries he sent with it.
And this is actually one of his "rejects"!
Yes it has a small defect white spot it still outperforms anything else I have been using like my M2 and 9AN for up close work.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recieved mine yesterday, or should I say, my local Post office did.

I have to wait until Saturday to pick it up!!

AAAAAAAAauuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhh
shocked.gif
blush.gif
confused.gif
shocked.gif

To quote Deeter on SNL "I'm as happy as a little girl!"

Big Tex

Enlightened
Lambda, you're correct about the insurance claim process being a hassle (usps). I'm still haggling with them over a lost package knife). Most people think if they insure their package, then payment is automatic. Wrong. You have to submit valuation documentation(sales receipt) and lots of people don't keep or receive receipts. My package was insured and I had delivery confirmation. The package was never delivered. To top it off, then they lost my documentation that was attached to the claim and denied the claim because documentation was not attached. lol USPS is pretty good until they lose your package. And they want to increase the price of stamps. lol

Darell

Flashaholic
It isn't just the USPS. I had the same issues with FedEx. They managed to mangle a Class III tow hitch. This is a huge chunk of steel designed to drag 5000 pounds of trailer. They bent it and scratche the heck out of it, then denied my insurance claim. The reason? Insufficient packaging. Uh huh. There was NO packaging, because they told me they would not ship it if it was boxed. They finally came through, but it took two full months.

Yes, shipping insurance is a scam as best as I can tell. They sure like to offer it, but hate to pay out the claims. And of course what you're doing is paying the carrier to protect your self against the carrier. What a great way to do business.
rolleyes.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. I have my share of bad stories about carriers too. I won't go near DHL anymore(had an *extremely* unpleasant and expensive experience with them about 2 years ago). Fedex have annoyed me more than I should put up with.

UPS is the only shipper who hasn't dropped the ball so far for me..(mind you, most of my shipping is international, which brings in all sorts of wonderful factors..)

Graham

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
It isn't just the USPS. I had the same issues with FedEx. They managed to mangle a Class III tow hitch. This is a huge chunk of steel designed to drag 5000 pounds of trailer.
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Darrel, that's hard to believe. It's almost like shipping an anvil & having it damaged.
rolleyes.gif
TX

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
[QBDarrel, that's hard to believe. It's almost like shipping an anvil & having it damaged. [/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup. Can you see me sitting there listening to them tell me that I didn't package this 2" square, 1/4" wall-thickness steel item well enough? They had to drop the thing out the back door of the van on the freeway to damage it the way they did. I'm not sure having a box around it at that point would have helped a whole lot.

Oh good! Speaking of shipping... here's a note from Lambda that my Illuminator has shipped! I'll start holding by breath now....

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
GEEZE OWWW!

Ok, maybe I'll just make everyone pick them up in person from now on........

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
GEEZE OWWW!

Ok, maybe I'll just make everyone pick them up in person from now on........
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nooooo....
Don't do that - I'd have to start swimming now..
tongue.gif

Graham

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graham:
Nooooo....
Don't do that - I'd have to start swimming now..
tongue.gif

Graham
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll leave it on the back porch for you........

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I am JEALOUS! Still waiting for Uncle Sam's Mail to get mine to me, and it was an evaluation unit promised to me from the LAST batch! DANG.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:
I am JEALOUS! Still waiting for Uncle Sam's Mail to get mine to me, and it was an evaluation unit promised to me from the LAST batch! DANG.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Bulk,

Go to beach and wait; when you see Graham swimming by on his way back to Japan, just ask him to show you his Illuminator. I'm sure he'll sacrifice a few strokes for a fellow CPFer............

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I shipped a computer once, from UPS, and I insured it for about 1500 $.

It ended up getting damaged, and I thought "oh great, I will get a check for 1500 dollars (what I insured it for)"

BUT NOOOOOOO!

Then the nogications began.

They wanted to know all the details and spec's of the pc, wanted to see receipts, etc.

Then they found the cheapest pc that met the spec's of what I had built, and offered to pay me that amount, because, they reasoned, that is what a replacement cost of the PC would be or about $ 650.00.

It is funny that they do not tell you that when buying insurance for shipping items.

You just get to pick a dollar amount, and they tell you how much it will be.

I used to think that if I insured something for 300 dollars, and they lost or damaged it, I would get a check for 300 dollars.

Guess not!

OH WAIT, they DID refund my insurance cost difference between 600 and 1500 dollars! BFD!

Oh well, live and learn!

Big Tex

Enlightened
I guess everyone that's waiting on an Illuminator doesn't want to hear all this crap about lost packages, etc. Rest assured, if another one gets delivered to my house, I'll call you and tell you about it.

Damn, where is that phone directory?
smile.gif