Work blocked CPF-any way around it??

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
The most terrible thing ever just happened a couple days ago. After asking a new IS guy to do something he should have already done--he responded by blocking access to all my bookmarked favorite online sites INCLUDING CPF!!!! Now, my site is deemed innapropriate just like illegal and immoral sites. Appealing to him and his boss has gotten me nowhere.

I usually try to get in at least a half an hour of this site--it helps my productivity. My question is, how do I get around this? One of my coworkers said something about some sites you can go to and they serve as a sheild against MS internet explorer seing any other sites you're going to. Can anyone offer me any advice other than a workplace accident.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Disconnect from the network and use the landline connection. Slower, but you could at least "check in".

They blocked the site, because they obviously do not want you recreational web surfing on the web. Sure, try the proxy, but deliberately circumventing the access policy can surely be grounds for termination.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The guy deliberately blocked access to all your favorite sites??? I smell a case of workplace harassment born out of spite. Perhaps simply asking for the mandatory complaint form to fill out might be sufficient to correct the problem.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jamrock said:
Just PROXIFY that Bad Boy!!:naughty:
Don't be sharing that site with co'workers..might have an Insider:whistle:

Great link. This is the first I've seen of Proxify. It works like a charm and is as simple as can be. It looks like if you want to download through them, though, you need to subscribe to their service.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be ripped if that happened to me because the large majority of my work bookmarked sites are work related.

not2bright

Enlightened
You could do the Google translation trick which has Google translate the CPF page to english for you (which it is already). This causes Google to operate like a proxy. Use the link below:

http://www.google.com/translate?langpair=en|en&u=www.candlepowerforums.com/vb

This can be done for any site by replacing the "forbidden site" with the URL of your choice using the complete link below.

http://www.google.com/translate?langpair=en|en&u=www.forbiddensite.com

The IT staff might block proxify if they see traffic heading there. I doubt they will block Google anytime soon.

Last edited:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:
They blocked the site, because they obviously do not want you recreational web surfing on the web. Sure, try the proxy, but deliberately circumventing the access policy can surely be grounds for termination.

Yep.

Oh, and by the way, your IT person can likely see if you're using a proxy...and block that too.

I would be very careful with this if I were you.

JM-99

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your IT department is smart, they also block proxy servers intended to circumvent their policies. If you can't do it legitimately, don't do it. You can be fired for it and it's not worth it.

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
I also check into CPF from work (like I'm doing now), BUT I know it's against company policy to do so. I try to make my infrequent checks as quickly as I can and then get out.

At my company, this is a firing offense - no BS. You have to remember, it's their computer and we're all supposed to be working and not surfing the web for fun and profit. :grin2:

Take care and good luck.

Cliff

flashlite

Enlightened
CroMAGnet said:
Cell phone! You can surf discretely all day! :)

How? I've been able to access other forums but I can't get CPF on my phone. When I click on the "Enter the Forums" pill, i get "413: Page Cannot Be Displayed".

Not that surfing foums on a cellphone is very much fun, but it'd be nice to be able to get my CPF fix on the run.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
not2bright said:
You could do the Google translation trick which has Google translate the CPF page to english for you (which it is already). This causes Google to operate like a proxy. Use the link below:

http://www.google.com/translate?langpair=en|en&u=www.candlepowerforums.com/vb

This can be done for any site by replacing the "forbidden site" with the URL of your choice using the complete link below.

http://www.google.com/translate?langpair=en|en&u=www.forbiddensite.com

The IT staff might block proxify if they see traffic heading there. I doubt they will block Google anytime soon.

Absolutely brilliant suggestion.

bole64

Newly Enlightened
What i have always found is that a smart IT or firewall will block all common translators in anticipation of a loophole. I use a not very well known translator that works great as a loop hole. It is English to Japanese, so they don't really look for that. www.rikai.com

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to find a new job. What this shows is that management is so removed from the people working for them that they are just wanting you to look busy rather than knowing you're busy by being able to see what you have accomplished. This is the first step towards either reorganization or death :D

point your management to this article:

http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=052206E

and then see if they blocked monster.com before you can upload your resume...