Drop in Luxeon mod to MiniMag *moved to Buy/Sell/Trade forum*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
ooooh....I gotta have a couple of those!!!!
shocked.gif

If they go up for sale , I'll take two!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I would love a couple of "pills" for some of my minimags lying around here.

Where do I sign.
smile.gif

Guy Kuo

Newly Enlightened
Sounds enticing. How close to the Lambda Illuminator's output level would it achieve?

Zephyr

Enlightened
And I was about to return my Minimag tomorrow too, for I thought I would have no use for it since I have my Lambda Illuminator. But I guess I'll decide to keep it now. Count me in for one please!

Lambda,

Do you have to drill a bigger hole on the reflector to make the pill fit? Or that wouldn't be necessary since all of the parts will be included in the kit already? By the way, Lamda, you are a genious!!!!!

Thank you very much, and happy Memorial Day to everyone!!

ZEPH
smile.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would definitely consider purchasing such a kit.

If the price is right, the money I had set aside for an Opalec NewBeam might just end up going for one of these!

Please let us all know about the price and availability as soon as you can Lambda. I for one will be checking back.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, count me in for at least 2!

How bright is it compared to the illuminator? Battery life? When is it available?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes! Count me in for at least three...umm wait, let me know what my "damages" will be first, please.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zephyr:
And I was about to return my Minimag tomorrow too, for I thought I would have no use for it since I have my Lambda Illuminator. But I guess I'll decide to keep it now. Count me in for one please!

Lambda,

Do you have to drill a bigger hole on the reflector to make the pill fit? Or that wouldn't be necessary since all of the parts will be included in the kit already? By the way, Lamda, you are a genious!!!!!

Thank you very much, and happy Memorial Day to everyone!!

ZEPH
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No drilling required; the reflector gets tossed and replaced with the Luxeon collomator lens.

The kit would consist of:
Illuminator pill - same "guts" (DC/DC converter & Luxeon) that go into the Illuminator, less the Illuminator heatsink. The pill uses heavy copper clad to move the heat to the battery tube lip. So, it will be the same brightness as the Illuminator, but slightly warmer. Tests show max temp to be 50C, which is 10C less than a Luxeon with optics and heatsink stabilizes at when drawing 350ma.
Luxeon Lens - to replace the reflector.
Lens gasket - this holds the lens firmly in the head assembly.

Even if you've never done a mod before, this should only take you 5 or 10 min to finish.

Price; probably about ~$29.95US

Xcandescent

Newly Enlightened
Since this mod is competing directly with the Opalec Newbeam drop-in, perhaps comparison shots and readings would be helpful? =)

-XCN-

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xcandescent:
Since this mod is competing directly with the Opalec Newbeam drop-in, perhaps comparison shots and readings would be helpful? =)

-XCN-
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can read the reviews for both at the LEDMuseum, but the Opalec was measured at 33,100mcd and the Illuminator measured 256,000mcd..........

Zephyr

Enlightened
Thanks for the respond Lambda. I will definitly be watching out for this "pill" when it will hopefully be available for us to purchase.

ZEPH

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xcandescent:

-XCN-
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even tho I haven't seen Lambda's mod, I'd guess that his conversion would pretty much blow away those 3x5mm LEDs in the Opalec..at least that's what my own white Luxeon mod will do easily. Picture the output of say..10-12 of those 5mm LEDs
wink.gif
smile.gif

Edit-Since the kit would come with the new optics, (meaning a much superior spot/beam), you've gotta have a powerful flashlight there. The new optics on my 455nm Royal Blue Luxeon results in an Amazing improvement in the perceived power of the output
shocked.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Lambda,

Thanks for all the additional info.

One question: When do you think you would have these available for sale?

One suggestion: Skip the $.95 and just go straight to $30, throw pricing tradition to the wind and live on the edge!
grin.gif

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lambda,

Great mod. I would rate that a very easy mod for those who haven't done a mod. Looks like there is no soldering required.

That and you don't need to buy a tailcap switch like the ones I do makes it even nicer. Keeps the twist on/off function. Something people do anyway.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.