How much brighter than maglite D4

roopeseta

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have this old maglite 4d and I was thinking are these new 3w luxeon led lamps and 5w lamps brighter than the maglite 4d which has a normal krypton bulb (probably are) and if they are brighter than how much brigter are they? Is a normal 3w http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/third/alx-233c.htm lamp for example much more brighter than maglite 4d krypton flashlight? 2x brighter? thanks if someone knows

meanwhile

Newly Enlightened
A Maglite starts out being very bright, but the brightness nosedives fast as the cells drain. LEDs tend to have constant brightness, at least until the battery is really weak. I have a 3D Mag with an EverLED conversion unit: you can see how it compares with a normal Mag here:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/everled.htm

The same site will also show you how a Mag compares with many other LEDs.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's tricky comparing small flashlights to Maglites. Even xenon Surefires compared to Maglites. This is because of the reflector. A Surefire E2E might advertize "four times the light of a big two D-cell flashlight", and this is probably an accurate statement, but because of the larger reflector on the Mag, plus its ability to focus tighter, the Mag will far outthrow the Surefire ("throw" is the term we use for how far a flashlight can project its beam). You'd need a Turbohead Surefire (M3T, M4, M6) to compete with a Maglite in throw (these will annihilate a Mag).

If you compare your new 3W or 5W Nuwai to a 3D Maglite and excpet it to outshine the Mag in every situation, you'll be dissappointed. The only way an LED can match the throw of a Mag is if you stick an LED inside the Mag. Overall output might be more though, so closer up it'll be more useful. And of course, the biggest advantage of these smaller 3W and 5W lights is that they're small.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use NiMh batteries, your amount of light will stay relatively constant throughout the discharging of the batteries.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't really say for sure with the 4 cell light, but my experience with the 2 and 3 cell versions was that the LED module would out throw the Krypton bulb and also put out more usable spill as well (more overall light output). That being said though, the LED modules will not out throw the Mag-Num Star bulbs, but they did put out more overall light output.

roopeseta said:
Hi, I have this old maglite 4d and I was thinking are these new 3w luxeon led lamps and 5w lamps brighter than the maglite 4d which has a normal krypton bulb (probably are) and if they are brighter than how much brigter are they? Is a normal 3w http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/third/alx-233c.htm lamp for example much more brighter than maglite 4d krypton flashlight? 2x brighter? thanks if someone knows