Rechargeable, dimmable LED light, with ugliest beam ever!

wquiles

Flashaholic
I will post some beamshots tonight, but it looks horrible for those looking at white walls (the "squared" reflector gives it a horrible beam!). For those looking for a great, floody, super long running work light, this "thing" is awesome !!!

Start with a Husky 12V rechargeable light from Home Depot:
IMG_5081.JPG

IMG_5082.JPG

cut the the "protective" plastic over the glass lens - I hate that!. Then take two matching 5W LED's ((LED's ID 5-4 and 5-4 which were tested here on post #5 and have an almost identical vf and output) wired in parallel, an nFlex driver (setup for 1Amp, each LED gets 500mA), a N.O. push button switch (for the nFlex), and some "other" ingredients to create this work flood light :)

Since the head of the light can be removed and used in any car, I decided to make the head completely independent and housed the nFlex regulator inside. This allows me to use it with almost any voltage source between 8-24 volts !!!. Since the reflector is solid metal, it will be the heat sink for the two underdriven 5W LED's ;)

Here is the inards of the light (you can see the new push button on the lower right):
IMG_5083.JPG

here is testing of the dual 5W LED's (just artic alumina thermal compound - no epoxy just yet!):
IMG_5085.JPG

here I am wiring the nFlex to an external 12V battery to test everything and to configure the nFlex from 350mA (factory default) to 1000mA:
IMG_5086.JPG

here is the final light, all assembled and running, with thermal epoxy:
IMG_5087.JPG

IMG_5088.JPG

Note that I located the push button switch so that it is very easy to turn the light and change levels with one hand:
IMG_5089.JPG

EDIT: It is dark now here in Texas, so here are some "ugly" beamshots ;)
Lets start with the outdoor shots, about 4-5 feet from the brick wall.

This is the standard incandecent Husky 12V. Like at how the reflector plus the "mask" or "cage" gives the light a very ugly beam :thumbsdow :
IMG_5109.JPG

Here is my dual 5W nFlex light (same exposure as before - camera on a tripod):
IMG_5110.JPG

Here is my "older" work light, my custom LED DeWalt conversion light:
IMG_5111.JPG

For comparison, here is a Bug Out Gear 5W module running from a single 18650 cell:
IMG_5112.JPG

Here is a group photo of the lights shown above:
IMG_5114.JPG

Now for the indoor or "white wall" photos, at about 12 inches from the wall. Same order as before. Note how the white wall makes the beams look far more ugly than they did outdoors.
IMG_5118.JPG

Here is my dual 5W nFlex light (same exposure as before - camera on a tripod):
IMG_5120.JPG

Here is my "older" work light, my custom LED DeWalt conversion light:
IMG_5122.JPG

For comparison, here is a Bug Out Gear 5W module running from a single 18650 cell:
IMG_5123.JPG

See what I mean now about a very ugly beam shot !!!

As I noted above, the new dual 5W makes for a fantastic flood work light ;)

Will

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Kryosphinx said:
You could probably put some type of diffuser lens between the "reflector" and metal cage.
The "cage" is plastic, but you are right, a diffusing film on the glass would work wonders ;)

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
Just wanted to add that I have been using the light a lot recently to build/check computers. The wide beam is awesome to bring light to all the small places in the case that need to be lit ;)

Two 5W LED's at 500mA is awesome!

Will