Could be a good light for a mod...

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at Target not too long ago, and in the camping section (NOT the flashlight section...) I came across a 2AA military style (pipe with 90 deg head) flashlight. I was intrigued because it had the interchangeable colored lenses in the tail cap just like the old military issue lights, plus it has a liquid filled compass in the bottom. For only $5.99 I said WTH, and bought it. As it sits in stock form it wasn't worth a darn. The bulb sits way too deep in the reflector, and when it's turned on all that appeared was an ugly ring of light. I took out the bulb, and replaced it with a LEDtronics 3V white single LED bulb. I then took the lens out of an old Brinkmann longlife I had that had a bad switch, and attached it to the buisness end, and I have a nice little spot type LED flashlight, with interchangeable colored lenses. I power the LEDtronics 3V led bulb with 1AA/2N's, so I'm overdriving the bulb a little. It's not quite as bright as the Longlife was, but very useable with decent throw for a single LED. When I want more light and flood type light, I replace the single LED bulb with a 3 LED bulb (LEDtronics 3V/white) and remove the focusing lens. Powered with the 1AA/2N's it's brighter than my PT Attitude, and once again, with the lenses the color is changeable. The light has a 2 position switch: intermittent and constant, and it has a pocket/belt clip. I assume this particular light would be good for mods more advanced than I'm capable of, because when the head is removed the power contact sits close to the opening, and the opening is large enough to accomodate many different types of mods. Also, for my "layman's mod", the beam shaper lens from my SF E2 fits perfectly in the head of this light
grin.gif
, so when I have the 3 LED bulb in it, the light is very smooth! For only $5.99, I think it makes a nice mod light. FYI...

PJD

...there is nothing in the world more frustrating than a lousy beam...

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right on.. Sounds like you've been "bit" - Next thing ya know, you'll be stuffin' Luxeons into everything that moves..
cool.gif

BTW - My 'first' mod was a Rayovac kid's adventure headlamp. plastic sux, don't it?

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I have a Ray-O-Vac torch with swivel head which now sports sn LED converted PR-mod bulb. It can e used "military style" or like a conventional torch. I might ry to squeeze a 4 LED mod into it in future, probably Toshiba 8000mcd orange or yellow LED's directly soldered to the bulbholder.